• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
first manga...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, I bought muh first Manga this weekend. I have been looking around for along time for a manga that was sure as to not let me down, and by the gods this one didn't. Berserk it was, and it was great, though expensive $15!!! And, not knowing where to post this, I was wondering: does the anime fallow the manga? and what was your first manga?
Arkard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
As for Berserk:
The anime only covers a small segment of the manga (if by small you mean a couple of volumes) but in a sense that it has like only one story arc: Gutts stay in the Band of Hawks. Where the anime ends, the manga continues, for a very long time bringing suprising plot twists, more violence than you would imagine, and as for the overlapping arcs with the anime, it adds to it with new characters and different situations. You could say the anime is like a teaser trailer for the manga. All the really good stuff you can find only in the manga. Doesnt mean the anime is bad Wink

As for me:
When I got into anime I only knew that manga existed. That was all. I was getting new series but never a manga. That time (about lets say 5 years ago) I was really into Dragon Ball, watching it on TV all time so when the manga came out I had to have it. So my first manga was Dragon Ball. Even know I own all 42 volumes in perfect condition.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Doraimon.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was...Yu-Gi-Oh. (I've dropped the series though)

Anime doesn't always follow the manga, some less than others. Take Fullmetal Alchemist, for example. The manga was more concise and plots that take a few episodes sometimes only take a 45 pg. chapter in the manga. It all depends on how much freedom the animators ar given. I think I read somewhere that the Ghost in the Shell TV was given a lot more freedom, so I think it's very different from the manga. A lot of times, the art of the anime is a bit different from the manga too. Slightly off topic, but in the Trigun anime I thought was better than the anime, but it's just the opposite with Gundam Seed.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes. My first manga would have to have been Viz's old left-to-right Guyver manga. Curse them for stopping when they did. Just one more volume and there would have at least been something they could've pretended was an ending. Curse them.

Ah well... I've gotten over it.

.Sy wrote:
Slightly off topic, but in the Trigun anime I thought was better than the anime, but it's just the opposite with Gundam Seed.

The anime was better than the anime?

Last edited by shadow_guyver on Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Onv

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was Dragon Ball.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:46 am Reply with quote
My first manga was GTO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
demonix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:53 am Reply with quote
My first manga was Steel angel Kurumi
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Mine was Dragonball also. I first encountered it in the backseat of my grandpa's station wagon about six years ago. I was bored and waiting so I picked up the issue that my sister for some reason brought with her. I learned how to expertly read manga in under 5 minutes! My sister doesn't even like manga anymore and my tastes have shyed away from Dragonball a long time ago. I did not have Cartoon Network at the time and the manga interested me as well as the Gundam Wing manga which I then got every month when each issue was released.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
shadow_guyver wrote:

.Sy wrote:
Slightly off topic, but in the Trigun anime I thought was better than the anime, but it's just the opposite with Gundam Seed.

Eh, what was I thinking? I meant the anime art was better than the manga's art.
keichi san

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
shadow_guyver wrote:

.Sy wrote:

Eh, what was I thinking? I meant the anime art was better than the manga's art.
I agree. I own several Trigun mangas though I love the storyline, the art is a tad rough.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Keichi san: And, it's not like he can't draw, he's just lazy. *sigh*Or just rushed for time. I mean, the cover art's good.

Last edited by .Sy on Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
keichi san

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Keichi san: And, it's not like he can't draw, he's just lazy. *sigh*Or just rushed for time. I mean, the cover art's good. A
I guess we can give him a break. The cover was good....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spider-moose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:00 am Reply with quote
my first manga was Mazinger Anthogly starring Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger and Grendizer in random stories done by other manga artists

loved the story of all 3 robots fighting Ankoukou dai Shogun in a all out battle to the death!

the artwork rocked

but my first english manga sold over here, cause the mazinger one is japanese imported, is Berserk and then Kare Kano

I'm mostly buying mangas that don't finish in the animes, cause I'm a completist, I have to know the whole story hehe Smile
Zakuro1208

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:00 am Reply with quote
Mine was both Chobits and Inuyasha...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7