• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A question? Gasaraki

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:23 am Reply with quote
Is this a good anime i have seen it for rent several times but i dont know any thing other than what the encyclopedia told me. If you could give me your opinions on it i would be appricitave.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Gasaraki is a serious, densely-plotted mecha series flavored with generous doses of Eastern mysticism. It is the most intensely technical and tactical mecha series ever made, in the sense that it delves deeply into the programming and mechanical specifics of how its machines actually work and how they might be used in real-world situations. The result is the most believable mecha action that you'll ever see in anime, as the mecha <gasp!> actually conform to laws of physics and use actual military tactics. On the downside, the series suffers from dull leading characters.

Although there is significant graphic violence, this is a series intended for more mature audiences because the complexity of its plotting would fly way over the head of younger viewers.

You can find my full review and rating on it here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nani?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:25 am Reply with quote
Gasaraki is a "thinking person's" anime. That's part of why the reviews are so mixed on this show.
It's slow but very detailed and goes into areas like real world geo-politics, markets, Shinto ritualism, Mechs which builds and builds upon itself until you have spoiler[ food riots in a first world country, the US and Japan, on the verge of war, a coup against the Japanese government. ]. All of is logically done and work very well. One cool thing is that there are 6 or so openings, which change, to reflect what's going on in the show. The music rocks, particularly the opening and closing theme. The atmosphere is one of slowly building tension, followed by a revelation and has a mature feel.

However, the main characters are very restrained and even dull. Also the first few episodes are confusing and very slow.

Basically, if you can wait a few episodes to be sucked in, by this I mean 6-8 and enjoy nuance, you'll like this show. However, if Excel Saga or Outlaw Star is your thing, go elsewere.

If not sure, rent the first three disks (and there is a reason I say three) and then decide.

All the Best,

Nani?
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:17 am Reply with quote
I'd definitely agree about renting at least 3 volumes before you buy. IMHO it starts off very well, with its unique blend of action and other-worldly Noh theatre, but then just gets stuck in a spoiler[boy-and-girl-on-the-run] rut and goes nowhere much until near the very end. If you're still enjoying it after the first 3 volumes then you'll probably like the rest of it.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:47 am Reply with quote
Yes, I completely forgot to mention the closer, which is a wonderful blend of music and animation keyed to the tone and subject matter of the series. If I had to pick the best closer I've ever seen on an anime series, the main version of this one (not the altered version which appears in the teens) would be it.

I also support comments others have made about having to watch 3 volumes before making a decision on the rest. This isn't a fast-developing series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mpchi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I think its a good show, but only when you can get it cheap as a set. I got mine for $30+ Very Happy

Like others said. Its a quality show with good animation, good mecha design, good sci-fi elements displayed in a very realistic fashion, and with heavy political tones in the mix. However, it left me felt kind of weird after finishing this show. Not because its not interesting or not good, but I felt more like witnessing a chain of events like watching it through discovery channel or from a news program. You don't feel much emotional connection with the characters at all! Even up till I finish the show, I can barely remember any of sub characters, while the 2 main lead barely speaks. This is definitely not a character-centered show, even though they do have a lot of screen time. But still a pretty good show nonetheless.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:59 am Reply with quote
The series is very Takahashi in feel. If you like Votoms, you will most likely like Gasaraki. Having watched Votoms and Layzner in the 80s Gasaraki was an obvious favorite of mine when it was released. Be careful if you are comming from a more Full Metal Panic or Bubble Gum Crisis background. Gasaraki is a fairly hardcore military SF series.
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
Thankyou I am going to try to rent it this weekend . It seems like i might like it I do love giant Robots and Good Stories. thankyou i will check it out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1