• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Network 2005 Spring Preview

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I just get this fealing that Speed Grapher will be going down the same path that GANTZ did, but that is not a bad thing in my mind.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
Most of these asessments are fairly spot-on (in particular, MAR looks like it was designed for 4Kids TV) but I can't fathom why anyone would enjoy Law of Ueki. The setup is a blatant excuse for a neverending torunament, the cast is dull as dirt and there's only so much you can do with the power to turn candy bar wrappers into trees before it gets boring. Oh, and the hero is a high school student with spikey hair who's kind of dumb, but he'll fight to the end for his friends and for justice! It looks like a giant ball of bad shonen cliches to me.

Also: episode one has the absoluete stupidest anime villain ever. He's a doctor, see, only he's not a very good doctor. He refuses to pay a housecall to some kid's sick mom, and when the kid complains about it, he publically beats him with a whip in the middle of a street (no one but Ueki seems to notice) throws Ueki in a river (again, no one seems to acknowlege the attempted murder occuring in broad daylight) employs evil henchmen (like all modern physicians) and then tries to run Ueki over with his car-which has a button you can push that makes A GIANT EVIL KILLER DRILL POP OUT OF THE HOOD. That come standard?

Law of Ueki is pretty MSTable, though. And I like that the main villain wears a parka year-round and seems to have a severe head wound that makes him craaaaaaazy. Also, it looks like his evil power is to make bubbles.

Anyway, kudos to Justin for telling the world of the greatness that is Emma. It's wonderful, underrated stuff, and I'm hoping Geneon (motto: "Blimey! We hire real live British people for our dubs!") ends up picking it up soon. I'm not a huge dub fan but this seems like the kind of show that NEEDS to be in English.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:33 am Reply with quote
And here I thought I & a friend of mine were the only ones that even knew Glass Mask '05 existed. Laughing

Good to see it get some recognition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
astra

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:47 am Reply with quote
I think someone forgot about Tsubasa.... Kind of hard to believe though Razz Any reason why you didn't include it?
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:31 am Reply with quote
They can't look at every single new show there is.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:46 am Reply with quote
After watching the first 5 episodes of Loveless, something tells me it's going to be a popular shounen-ai series for the "mass-appeal" just like how Utena is for shoujo-ai. And there's nothing wrong with a bit ditzy catgirl, Yuiko! Cool
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:24 am Reply with quote
astra wrote:
I think someone forgot about Tsubasa.... Kind of hard to believe though Razz Any reason why you didn't include it?

Yes, because CLAMP anime is more or less "critic-proof". If I like it, well... everybody who likes CLAMP stuff will have already watched it. If I hate it, everybody who likes CLAMP stuff will have already watched it, and flame the crap out of me.

I do wish I had a chance to review Honey and Clover, but I'm still not sure what I'd write about that one. 2 episodes in and I still have yet to form a solid opinion.
harrellj

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:02 am Reply with quote
Btw, Junko Takeuchi isn't the voice for Ginta in Mär, Motoko Kumai (Syaoran from CCS) is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:59 am Reply with quote
I think that Justin went a little hard on Ichigo 100%. I think the series is actually fun. But to be fair I'm on a Romantic Comedy faze.
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
dmanjdb wrote:
I think that Justin went a little hard on Ichigo 100%. I think the series is actually fun. But to be fair I'm on a Romantic Comedy faze.

And so...Justin dies a little bit more inside...

-Franky
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
you completely forgot Trinity blood

in any case, i'm enjoying Speed Grapher so far, though it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Basilisk has been a huge surprise. it's like this series gets better with each episode.

in their defense... Mar is based on a manga that's like 3 years old. i'm guessing there was some politics stopping them from making it earlier.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I think three years is a very resonable amount of time to animate a manga. After all, you've got to let the story get pretty far advanced, or you'll just wind up killing the series with lame filler episodes (coughcoughkenshincough) and thats never fun. Besides, they've got to give the manga some time to prove its popularity before they adapt it; a lot of mangas start out popular and then fade away after a little while.

What surprises me most about MAR is that it's by the same guy who created Flames of Recca. Recca was a great, if somewhat unoriginal, series. MAR is so far beneath it it's amazing the same person is responsible for them. Does anyone know if it gets better later?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
dmanjdb wrote:

I can't say that I blame him for his take - especially if it's limited to the first episode. My exposure to this title was from the manga, and enough was out at the time for me to really get interested. I loved the unique style of the artwork, and things flowed well enough for me to read more. As I did, I got hooked. The anime comes off feeling a little off its pace, and too generic at the start. Moreso, it's too fast paced to give it any proper time to work on character development. While I'm not saying that people should avoid the anime, it's really designed for people who are already fans of the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Some of it looks ridiculous at first sight, but I guess I can't always depend on that, eh? I want to check out the Eyeshield 21 anime, because if I keep watching the same genres of anime over and over my brain might get stuck.
Taishi

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I can't understand why ANN would skip out on Hachimitsu to Kuroba in part of their preview. That show is the best show out there for this season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3