• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse Licenses

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
"They will release the Koike version of the series."

What does this mean? Is there a version of the manga in which Kazuo Koike had more control over the story?
milcor1

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Great lisences by Dark Horse. Can't wait for Lady snowblood, Eden, and Crying Freeman.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute, is Saiyuki Dendaio by Kazuya Minekura? I know she did Saiyuki and its sequels, but I haven't heard of Dendaio. The link just takes me to Saiyuki. Anime dazed
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Wait a minute, is Saiyuki Dendaio by Kazuya Minekura? I know she did Saiyuki and its sequels, but I haven't heard of Dendaio. The link just takes me to Saiyuki. Anime dazed

No, it's a diffrent story. It's by Katsuya Terada, an artist who mainly works in illustration. He usually draws very bizarre, Giger-style women. I've seen aome pages from his version of Saiyuki, and it looks pretty crazy (Goku is a horriflying monster and Sanzo is a nun in bondage gear).
In addition to these licences (I'm eager to see Space Pinchy and Snowblood), Darkhorse also licenced a couple of other things, including Eden and a Junji Ito manga. Plus, new artbooks from Amano and Katsuya Terada. This is definitally going to be a good year for them.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote
BrianRuh wrote:
"They will release the Koike version of the series."

What does this mean? Is there a version of the manga in which Kazuo Koike had more control over the story?

Apparently, as manga creators usually retain copyright to their works, there were several separate editions of Crying Freeman published, some by Shogakukan, and others (or an other) by Koike himself, privately. Not really being a fan of Crying Freeman, I have no idea as to what the actual differences, if any, between the editions are...it may simply be a question of Dark Horse's money going to Koike directly, rather than to the publisher.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1