• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Vice- anyone read it yet?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korazy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
After reading this insightful bite from the author of Tokyo Vice, I'm thinking of forking over $30+ for a copy of his book. That is of course, unless there are a plethora of bad reviews. Has anyone here read the book Tokyo Vice: A Western Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan yet?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/books/doing-it-by-the-book/2010/01/29/1264268075743.html

I quite liked the auto-biographical 'Yakuza Moon: Memoirs of a gangsters daughter' and I want to read more about the hidden aspects Twisted Evil of J culture.
jakeadelstein

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Korazy wrote:
After reading this insightful bite from the author of Tokyo Vice, I'm thinking of forking over $30+ for a copy of his book. That is of course, unless there are a plethora of bad reviews. Has anyone here read the book Tokyo Vice: A Western Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan yet?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/books/doing-it-by-the-book/2010/01/29/1264268075743.html

I quite liked the auto-biographical 'Yakuza Moon: Memoirs of a gangsters daughter' and I want to read more about the hidden aspects Twisted Evil of J culture.

mmm.....I read it because I wrote it? Hardly makes me objective. The reviews have been generally positive. There have been some people that say the writing sucks and the content is good. And some of have said both were good. If you're interested in Japanese subculture, the yakuza, how the police work in Japan, and some bizarre cases including a husband and wife team of serial killers that bred expensive dogs and killed disgruntled customers and chopped up their bodies--etc, you'll find the book interesting. I also read Yakuza Moon. She's a courageous woman. I think Tokyo Vice will tell you a lot more about how the yakuza work in Japanese society and how they make their money.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Hi Jake.

I read the book right when it came out. One of the few times Amazon's random "you might like this" spam emails was on the money!

In case anyone is curious how Amazon got me:

Quote:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

We've noticed that customers who have purchased or rated Tokyo Underworld: The Fast Times and Hard Life of an American Gangster in Japan by Robert Whiting have also purchased Tokyo Vice: An American Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan by Jake Adelstein. For this reason, you might like to know that Tokyo Vice: An American Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan is now available. You can order yours for just $17.16 ($8.84 off the list price) by following the link below.

Buy the book. If you have any interest in Japan at all (actual, modern Japan, not anime/manga fantasy world), you will enjoy it thoroughly.
BoundTogetherByString

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:04 am Reply with quote
I've read Tokyo Vice and I enjoyed it a lot. After the earthquake hit Japan earlier this year, I was shocked to hear that the Yakuza were helping out. I mean. . .aren't these guys criminals? I read this book out of curiousity and holy crap! This is only a book and this happened in the past and not to me but I became frighten. The power the Yakuza have amazed me. And thanks for mentioning Yakuza Moon.
mehamgul101

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:39 am Reply with quote
Tokyo Vice is one of the best novel and really i like it a lot because i have read it many times so thing is whenever i read it then i learn so many things about japan and its culture especially about tokyo. basically i love to read romantic stories but these types of novels are also good then that.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Justin and Zac interviewed Adelstein on ANNCast some time last year.

You'll have to search the archive to find it, sorry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1