• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime's I don't like very much:
3. GITS 2 (haven't seen it but the preview is enough)

Fantatsic reason for not liking an anime I must admit.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
when I review this, people don't really list down LEGITIMATELY terrible shows... I think they put stuff in their "crap" list just because a large set of other people like it

just to piss those set of people off

I mean, watch GUNDRESS and tell me to my face that you had more fun watching that than say... let's look at a recent one, METROPOLIS

come on, do it

but really, I think that some people are being irrational here

but then, if that's your REAL opinion... nothing I can do there I guess...

I'm thinking too much
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Yes it always puzzles me the anime people stick in their worst anime lists. I have actually seen Metropolis pop up a few times which I find very strange as I personally rate it as one of my top anime. I can understand not everyone loving it like me, but worst anime? Come on get serious.
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
when I review this, people don't really list down LEGITIMATELY terrible shows... I think they put stuff in their "crap" list just because a large set of other people like it

just to piss those set of people off

I mean, watch GUNDRESS and tell me to my face that you had more fun watching that than say... let's look at a recent one, METROPOLIS

come on, do it

but really, I think that some people are being irrational here

but then, if that's your REAL opinion... nothing I can do there I guess...

I'm thinking too much

I think everyone's just posting their opinions. What's the point of saying one show is bad just to get on someone's bad side?
DKL

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I think people do it out of spite, since they think it's fun or something

I can't really comprehend it, but this is the "vibe" I get from all of it

Mr Mania wrote:
Yes it always puzzles me the anime people stick in their worst anime lists. I have actually seen Metropolis pop up a few times which I find very strange as I personally rate it as one of my top anime. I can understand not everyone loving it like me, but worst anime? Come on get serious.

EXACTLY
dgreater1

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, they hated it, hated it so much that they want to sabotage the goodness/greatness of the show. I dont really rate a show with "The Worst Ever" without any good reasons. People who rate good shows with "worst ever" because they hate it to the max probably only look at the "Bad side" and not the "Good side" of the show. Like the story, they don't completely understand the story and so they rate it as "IT SUCKS LIKE HELL, WHO IN THE WORLD MADE THIS SAPPY CRAP SHOW?" ignoring all other elements that made the show Great.... but in fact, if you analyze the show completely, it's good and maybe very original. And the others, they only look at it visually "Man... the graphics looks bad...", most peeps here judge a book only by it's cover and not it's contents.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote
this probably would've worked better if the thread was just simply "what's your favorite shows?"
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Mr Mania wrote:

EXACTLY

The lowest rating I've given for any title I've watched from start to finish was 'Not really good', but I've seen some people give 'Worst ever' as a common practice in their public 'Seen all' list. Rolling Eyes I guess that either they have too much time to spend or do no research before picking up a title. I'd spend my time watching/reading something else -- many good titles are out there.

On the other hand, note that what we have watched are commercialized products. If a title is THAT bad and is (un)worthy enough to receive a goose egg, the project would have been terminated way before being produced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Well I have only one anime that I've rated "Worst Ever" and simply because that's what I feel it is, the worst anime I've ever seen.

Samurai Showdown: The Motion Picture. I saw a picture of it and thought it would be pretty cool because I also love the video game franchise. And so, I bought the ADV produced DVD and watched it at a friends house that night.

It was a horrible movie to say the least. The characters were terribly contradicting to what they were in the video games, the pacing was very jumpy and not even action packed, but more so of a weak and poorly executed comedy.

The story was actually sort of the same where they had all these warriors hunting down Amakusa Shiro, but they still left some characters out and didn't even let the ones that were in the movie develop at all.

And on top of all this, it was dub only (an extremely bad one). But as much as I like this franchise, I don't think even a Japanese voice track could save it from being THE worst anime I've seen.

Fortunately though, I had bought this from Gamestop and I easily returned the movie the next day for a refund in the form of store credit, which I then used to preorder Madden 2003.

But trust me, this movie stinks and I would be baffled if anyone who hasn't played the games found anything positive in this debacle of an anime.
dgreater1

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Now that you've mentioned it, I've seen Samurai Showdown too, and like you said, it was a crappy show. It doesn't make any sense at all. That's a sample of an Awful show, compared to Fatal Fury shows
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I really like the Fatal Fury animes. Well, maybe not so much the OAVs (haven't seen them in a while), but I like the movie a lot. I'm the only other person that's given it a Masterpiece rating (for subbed).

While it is a movie and a bit rushed, I already had a pretty good grasp of the characters from playing the video games and thought they were pretty well written (not that it's that hard to do in the first place, since they are from a fighting game and all).

The plot is also very linear and simplistic, which is pretty much all you need for an action title like this one. The subtle romantic subplot was kind of nice too, and I feel it adds a little more depth
to the overall story and not making it just a total fightfest.

The music is well composed and gives off this sort of epic or majestic aura, making the whole thing that much more dramatic at times and exciting at others.

I like the dub a lot too, but since the Japanese audio has a 4.0 track, I like it slightly better (don't really like Terry's seiyuu though, he could use a little practice on yelling his attack names and being a little angrier at some of the key scenes).

I like to categorize this in the same group as Ninja Scroll, though with a much lower degree of violence. Both titles give off a good amount of energy and no matter how many times I watch one, I never manage to get tired of it.

Now, I wish someone would make a King of Fighters anime...
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
when I review this, people don't really list down LEGITIMATELY terrible shows

That's because this isn't a list of great shows and terrible shows. It's a list of most and least favorite. Just because someone puts a particular title in their least favorite anime list doesn't neccessarily mean it's a bad show. It's just a title that particular person doesn't like. And remember that just because you may really like a particular show that appears on someone else's least-favorite list doesn't mean that your opinion is the final end-all conclusion either. You just disagree. Big deal.

Think what you will of what people put on their lists, but it's terribly presumptuous to assume that they are intentionally angering others. And nobdy here is being "irrational" by not being afraid to list a show that they don't like. I would go so far as to say that blindly accusing them of such is much, much more irrational.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a list of most and least favorite. Just because someone puts a particular title in their least favorite anime list doesn't neccessarily mean it's a bad show.

I think what he is getting at is that there are a lot of really bad anime out there, so when somebody lists something which a lot of people think is really good as their least favourite anime it seems strange. It could be that they just haven’t watched a lot of bad anime but it's more likely that they aren't really thinking about it properly. Of course everybody is entitled to their own opinion; however at the same time if somebody tells me they think New Gall Force is better than Metropolis I am going to come to the conclusion that their opinion is quite frankly rubbish.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
...I am going to come to the conclusion that their opinion is quite frankly rubbish.

But your "conclusion" is no different from that particular person in that it's still just an opinion. And opinions are subjective. I'm just trying to remind some people to keep an open mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But your "conclusion" is no different from that particular person in that it's still just an opinion

I don't deny it, however it's an opinion I'm sure that would receive a general consensus from a lot of people, that doesn't always mean that an opinion is right but at least that it probably holds some value.

I think the point is that when somebody lists a anime generally considered good as their least favourite anime the truth is they probably don't really mean it. It's more likely due to the fact the anime was famous, or that they had heard was good, and then they didn't like it. The fact that they thought it might be good probably persuades them to carry a bias against it and thus list it as their worst anime. Chances are they have watched anime they liked less but don't bother listing them because they had no impact whatsoever as they went into the anime expecting it to be bad.

Anyhow I don't want to be responsible for this thread digressing OT so will leave it at that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 122