• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga omnibuses

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you buy your manga in omnibuses edition?
First option
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
Yes, I like to buy all my manga in omnibuses if possible
22%
 22%  [ 13 ]
Yes, when the single volumes are out of print
63%
 63%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 58

OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I voted for omnibuses. I got the hardcover 3-in-1 versions of Battle Royale and not only saved money and got some extras, the larger format I feel helps the artwork. I remember going to a manga panel around the time companies started going to the smaller size (approximately same size as a standard paperback novel) and all these people were so happy because they could put the book in their pocket, I felt like the only person in the room who didn't like the smaller size because it shrinks the art. Of course a lot of the early large-format releases were flopped so that was an issue.

Sometimes there's no real choice. If you want a copy of Clover unless you want to try to hunt down the original release you'll need to get the Dark Horse Omnibus.
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
I voted for omnibus releases despite the fact that I own relatively few of them compared to singles. If I had a choice, I would have purchased far more of my collection in them.
hikaru hasama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I too voted for omnibuses because' i have no money... and need to start saving it.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I chose the third option. I have almost no omnibus' in my collection, but if a series was out of print in single volumes, I'd definitely go for the omnibus re-releases (like with Chobits or CCS). The only omnibus' I have are the Samurai Champloo omnibus (which is terrible Laughing ), and the Mushi-shi 8-9-10 omnibus (which is the only way to get those volumes anyways).
ninja noir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
I'm all for omnibus editions. Smile I buy a lot of manga, so it is nice to be able to get three volumes at once for cheap, so that I can spend the money I saved on even more manga. Smile Another thing I like about them is that they sometimes come with colour pages that were black and white in the single volumes. Although my one gripe is the covers. Why can't they include the single volume covers inside the book? Is that really so hard to do?
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
I'm the opposite of some of you. If an omnibus has extra material in it, I'm more than happy to double dip for a series I already own. Of course, if there's nothing new to add, I'm not that much of a completist that I need both the singles and omni's. Although, if it's a choice between the two and both are readily available, with no content differences, I'll go singles every time.
shadow13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I would vote no, if that was a choice.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
If their is a choice between getting the singles or an omnibus, I'd go for the omnibus. You get more bang for your buck and they are usually much nicer. I couldn't care less that I'm not getting the single volume covers.

ninja noir wrote:
Although my one gripe is the covers. Why can't they include the single volume covers inside the book? Is that really so hard to do?

DH's CLAMP omnibuses do. At least I know for certain that Clover does and I don't see why they wouldn't do so for the rest of them.
ninja noir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:

ninja noir wrote:
Although my one gripe is the covers. Why can't they include the single volume covers inside the book? Is that really so hard to do?

DH's CLAMP omnibuses do. At least I know for certain that Clover does and I don't see why they wouldn't do so for the rest of them.

Aye, I know this because I own those, but not every omnibus has them. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but it is nice to have them there.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I'll go for an omnibus over singles if there's bonus content like the Dark Horse CLAMP omnibuses. I bought the Kodansha omnibuses of Love Hina and Tokyo Mew Mew, and they're literally just 3 or 2 volumes in 1 thick book with no extra content. I'm starting to regret not buying all the singles years ago. At least they're slightly cheaper than 3 individual volumes. My one gripe with the Dark Horse omnibuses of Clover and CCS (the only ones I own; I have the singles of Chobits and MKR) is that the spines are far too delicate. They feel like they're going to snap even when you're really gentle with them.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I've been pleased by the fact that my Dragon Ball omnibus volumes from Viz have had color pages in them. I don't believe that those were printed in the singles; were they?
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote
I just got the Yen Press omnibuses of The Betrayal Knows My Name, and they're really nice. Lots of pretty colour pages, large trim size and the spines seem fairly robust. I hope their other omnibuses are as good.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'll certainly have to keep that in mind. I've been buying a few of the Viz Big releases recently, and I really do like them even if the binding seems pretty poor on one of them. I'm rather careful as to how I hold it while reading because it seems that the cover is detached from the back. If I'm allowed to vent slightly, I'd also like to mention how disappointing it is to buy a brand new manga from a bookstore only to get it home and find a coffee stain inside of it.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
If I'm allowed to vent slightly, I'd also like to mention how disappointing it is to buy a brand new manga from a bookstore only to get it home and find a coffee stain inside of it.

Yeah. Where on earth did you find that?
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote
Barnes and Noble, locally. They have a coffee shop inside, so I have to assume someone was reading it in store and soiled it. Unfortunately I didn't read it until pretty long after I bought it, so I just swallowed it. Still, though, I felt rather perturbed at that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2