• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Robotech The Complete Series Released on Monday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote
And again we get shafted with American crap why can't Manga ent UK release the original?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
Because manga must, MUST tell the ongoing saga of how Rick felt bad that he had a sucking chest wound so badly that they will let other people release Robotech.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
..because Manga isn't releasing it would be the obvious answer.
As for Go Entertain, it could be any reason or a combination out of:

Robotech having nostalgia value so being easier to market.
The rights to the originals being unavailable or harder/more expensive to obtain.
If the originals don't have English dubs available (I haven't watched any of Robotech, at least not that I remember and don't know much about it or its component parts) then there's the problem of getting people to buy an 85 subtitled episodes (and again, nostalgia value - I suspect Battle of the Planets sold better than Gatchaman).
etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
And again we get shafted with American crap why can't Manga ent UK release the original?

Can't you do anything except complain about everything that gets released over here? The reason we get American versions of things is because there's not a big enough market here to make producing a UK specific version even remotely financially viable for pretty much everything.. If they were to produce a UK version, you'd probably just whinge about how expensive it was compared to the US version. Just be grateful that we even get things released at all.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
..because Manga isn't releasing it would be the obvious answer.
As for Go Entertain, it could be any reason or a combination out of:

Robotech having nostalgia value so being easier to market.
The rights to the originals being unavailable or harder/more expensive to obtain.
If the originals don't have English dubs available (I haven't watched any of Robotech, at least not that I remember and don't know much about it or its component parts) then there's the problem of getting people to buy an 85 subtitled episodes (and again, nostalgia value - I suspect Battle of the Planets sold better than Gatchaman).
etc.

errr they wouldn't be buying 85 subtitled episodes cause SDF Macross was only 36 episodes that's what i want a box set of not the other less important series. Also when was it ever aired in the UK in full anyway?

st_owly wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

you'd probably just whinge about how expensive it was compared to the US version.

errrr i paid about £80 for Redline back in August im not too fussed about price as long as it's presented well.

st_owly wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

Can't you do anything except complain about everything that gets released over here? The reason we get American versions of things is because there's not a big enough market here to make producing a UK specific version even remotely financially viable for pretty much everything.. If they were to produce a UK version, you'd probably just whinge about how expensive it was compared to the US version. Just be grateful that we even get things released at all.

Also ever thought the reason the market isn't big enough here is because of America's rehashing/writing making really good shows like SDF Macross look like bad cartoons the American's got Japan to make for them?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:10 am Reply with quote
The ironic twist in all this is the dub of ADV's version of Macross is avaiable for free legaly on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/show/superdimensionfortressmacross?s=1
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:14 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
The ironic twist in all this is the dub of ADV's version of Macross is avaiable for free legaly on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/show/superdimensionfortressmacross?s=1

yeah as if this isn't the cherry on the shaft.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1