• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Moon Festival

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
@FULL MOON

I wanted to stop reading at "Half-vampire, half-werewolf Marlo.." but I kept going and I regretted it. Carlos, I pity you for having to have read that train wreck and fully agree with your D+ score.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
I watched the Koi Kaze Anime and was blown away by just how tightly - and how sensitively - the story was told. Honestly, there's no fat at all, every scene advances things along. If the Manga is indeed better still, then my only reaction is "wow".
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I watched the Koi Kaze Anime and was blown away by just how tightly - and how sensitively - the story was told.

Yes, it was a well-written, well-directed, well-animated series... about a man having sex with a 14 year old girl. Forget about incest (since they weren't even raised together); Koi Kaze is about statutory rape, painted as a romance.

Aaaaand now that I've done my obligatory bashing of that creepy immortal series... Wow, Full Moon sounds dumb. And where did this "vampires hate werewolves" trope even come from? Dwarves vs Elves come from Tokien, but why are the creatures of the night so consistently painted at odds with one another?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
I would never say I support incest in real life, but in fiction, I don't know why, but if done right I find it to be an intriguing romance, as inherently screwy as it might be.

Having said that, this might sound strange to some, but I thought the characters' age difference was far more disturbing than their blood relation. As Vashfanatic pointed out, wasn't the girl in her midteens and the guy about 27? If it wasn't for that, I would've been fully on board with the anime when I watched it regardless of its content.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I would never say I support incest in real life, but in fiction, I don't know why, but if done right I find it to be an intriguing romance, as inherently screwy as it might be.

Having said that, this might sound strange to some, but I thought the characters' age difference was far more disturbing than their blood relation. As Vashfanatic pointed out, wasn't the girl in her midteens and the guy about 27? If it wasn't for that, I would've been fully on board with the anime when I watched it regardless of its content.

The age thing never bothers me at all nor the incest stuff (fiction or non-fiction).

I tried to watch Koi Kaze but I just could not get into it. I do not know if I will give it another shot or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I have liked Koi Kaze for a long time, for all the reasons the reviewer covered. Also, as an LBGT person, I have found myself experiencing pretty much the same gamut of emotions while agonizing over very similar decisions and consequences. I consider Koi Kaze a masterpiece for its depiction of these emotions.

Unfortunately the books seem to be out of print and, I'm assuming, not likely to be reprinted.

Though it varies by prefecture and municipality (as in the USA) I believe the age of consent in the national criminal code of Japan is 13.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I *love* Koi Kaze (the anime, haven't read the manga), but it's hella creepy.

Everyone I know who has seen it agrees the incest isn't that gross because they grew up separately, but the age thing is the ick factor.

But, yeah, excellent series. And just because it's solely about a topic doesn't mean you have to think it's okay to like it, I'm definitely not cool with diamond robberies and cop killing. (Saw Reservoir Dogs for the first time yesterday)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I watched the Koi Kaze Anime and was blown away by just how tightly - and how sensitively - the story was told.

Yes, it was a well-written, well-directed, well-animated series... about a man having sex with a 14 year old girl. Forget about incest (since they weren't even raised together); Koi Kaze is about statutory rape, painted as a romance.

Change that 14 to a 15, although they don't have sex until she's 16, and you'd be right. Entirely consensual of course, with Nanoka herself making her own decision to be with Koushiro after he had tried to distance himself from her. It certainly is an interesting character study, and it should be taken as such.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Sailor Moon taught us that love conquers all!

Unholy_Nny wrote:
I *love* Koi Kaze (the anime, haven't read the manga), but it's hella creepy.

Everyone I know who has seen it agrees the incest isn't that gross because they grew up separately, but the age thing is the ick factor.

But, yeah, excellent series. And just because it's solely about a topic doesn't mean you have to think it's okay to like it, I'm definitely not cool with diamond robberies and cop killing. (Saw Reservoir Dogs for the first time yesterday)

I'd hate for you to be Mr. Pink. Laughing
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Aaaaand now that I've done my obligatory bashing of that creepy immortal series... Wow, Full Moon sounds dumb. And where did this "vampires hate werewolves" trope even come from? Dwarves vs Elves come from Tokien, but why are the creatures of the night so consistently painted at odds with one another?

That's a good question, considering that in mythology, vampires and werewolves are usually allies, their enemies being humans. Full Moon does sound dumb, I regret reading the description.

I look forward to Sailor Moon, it's the only manga on this week's RTO that I am interested in.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
It's good to know that Sailor Moon's plot gets a bit deeper as it goes on. I never got into the anime (when it was on network TV, it was aired way too early, and then it switched to cable, which my family didn't have, so there went that). I've been wondering if its current popularity is just nostalgia from anime fans who've been waiting years to get the manga, or if it's actually good.

The moon history thing sounds like Please Save My Earth (I doubt it gets as deep. Does it?) and maybe the other Sailor characters make up for Usagi's ditzyness. I'm definitely more interested in checking it out now!

Soooo, the couple in Koi Kaze have sex, despite being siblings and a significant age gap? Is the audience rooting for them, or is the whole relationship portrayed as tragic? I'm genuinely curious.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Soooo, the couple in Koi Kaze have sex, despite being siblings and a significant age gap? Is the audience rooting for them, or is the whole relationship portrayed as tragic? I'm genuinely curious.

I haven't read the manga, so I don't know how far it goes. But I can say that I wasn't 'rooting' for them to have sex while watching the anime. I don't really 'root' for couples in seinen romance stuff. That's not what it's about typically. It's more about getting to see what characters do when being pushed into situations that are uncommon. I don't condone what Koushiro and Nanoka do, but I can see why they do. It's more of a character study than a romance.

A similar seinen romance (this one a manga) is one named Bitter Virgin. It deals with a guy who likes this girl who it turns out had been raped by her step-father when she was younger and had been impregnated twice. This, again, is not a manga where you 'root' for a romance. It's much more than that. It's a character study of what characters will do in that situation.

I find those kinds of manga/anime vastly more interesting than the standard shoujo or shounen romance schtick personally.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I watched the Koi Kaze Anime and was blown away by just how tightly - and how sensitively - the story was told. Honestly, there's no fat at all, every scene advances things along. If the Manga is indeed better still, then my only reaction is "wow".

I also liked the anime, and i hope the manga can be released as well cause if Angel Sancutary got a US release why cant this series can get a release too?

Megiddo wrote:
It's more about getting to see what characters do when being pushed into situations that are uncommon. I don't condone what Koushiro and Nanoka do, but I can see why they do. It's more of a character study than a romance.

Well the age difference might turn off some people, which i can understand,but i have no problem what the two siblings ( Koushiro & Nanoka ) did. Should it really matter?

That's the thing when it comes to these kinda of romance subjects. There will be people for it in general and people against it in general.

i for one have no problem with the manga at all. and hopefully koi kaze might get a us release.

Quote:
It's unlikely you'll ever see the manga of Koi Kaze on the shores of North America any time soon, which is unfortunate.

That there is an understatment. Sure the manga wont sell well,especially now that the sailoe moon mangas and sailor v are being released in the US, but i would do decent enough.

If it ever does come to the US, i for one will definitely be getting it. It shouldn't matter at all if it involves incest ( And to be honest,i have no problem with it ), the anime was a preety good romance series, and i'm sure the manga is as good as the anime. It may not be as well known as Angel Sancutary,but it might really do well.

though the 1 that I would love to see is Aki Sora That is a series i would definitely get.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1