• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wired on Shoujo and Shonen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
The ANN article should also add that Carl is currently an editor at Dark Horse, working on manga titles there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
And don't forget Patrick Macias's write-up of Howl's Moving Castle in that same issue of Wired:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.06/play.html?pg=7
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shojo stories also get interspersed with shopping tips on clothes and cosmetics, ostensibly to help teens look like their heroines.

WTF? This isn't some Barbie-like marketing towards girls. And I doubt the majority of the girls reading shoujo manga are trying to be visually like them. They are most likely want to be inspired by them to have better self-esteem or a better/similar lifestyle for that matter.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:
The ANN article should also add that Carl is currently an editor at Dark Horse, working on manga titles there.

The article states he works at Dark Horse. That was, IMHO, enough.

-t
smutchi

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:44 am Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
Quote:
Shojo stories also get interspersed with shopping tips on clothes and cosmetics, ostensibly to help teens look like their heroines.

WTF? This isn't some Barbie-like marketing towards girls. And I doubt the majority of the girls reading shoujo manga are trying to be visually like them. They are most likely want to be inspired by them to have better self-esteem or a better/similar lifestyle for that matter.

Quote:
In series for guys, like Gundam and Dragon Ball Z, robots are death machines [...].

Well I guess he just wanted to make the difference between shonen and shoujo very clear, but I absolutely agree with you (about the "barbie-like marketing" as you call it Laughing ). I think this description gives a wrong impression to people who don't play with dolls and action figures anymore. Not to offend anyone! Wink
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
Quote:

Well, while this may be true of the US, it is worth mentioning that younger girls (mid to high school) do this in Japan. I've seen numerous reports about Sundays practically being a fasion show in Sibuya (iirc). There is at least some truth to the statement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1