• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Basilisk

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
takachsh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was soon. I didn't excpet this to happen. Hmm so Funi has this series, god, I hope they do a damn well good dub. Still, what a surprise, lol, there probbably also gona get Speed Grapher and Trinity Blood.
icepick314

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
damm they weren't kidding when Funimation said there going "Gonzo"....

now I have high hopes for US release on 2 other current Gonzo series Speed Grapher and Trinity Blood and the 2 yet-to-be-released series Gin-iro no kami no Agito and Solty Rei....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:00 am Reply with quote
I'm personally looking forward to the release of all three new series Gonzo is producing here. I just didn't think Funi would get any of them, they all seem like something more suited to Geneon or Manga. Confused

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
takachsh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
I really want Trinity Blood to be licensed by Geneon and not Funi!
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:36 am Reply with quote
awesome. too bad it's not over yet. i hope it's not dropped. i could easily see this being on adult swim next year.
E_X

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:25 am Reply with quote
I'm sooo glad i don't get the U.S CN....
Demaar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:33 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, kinda surprised anyone is bothering with Basilisk so soon, I've tried watching the fansubs but it just doesn't interest me, and if I can't be bothered watching the fansubs, I severely doubt I'll buy DVDs. Thing is, I'm a fan of traditional Japanese settings, but I dunno... it seems to be over used, I think they're starting to milk it dry.
Speed Grapher on the other hand, hoo boy. I'm really enjoying this show. Massively enjoying the fansubs, though I won't be sad to see it licensed like most, sooner it has been the sooner I can latch onto those discs Wink
Hoping all this kick ass stuff Funi is picking up will kill this prejudice people have against them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:11 am Reply with quote
That was a very new show, so the fansubs couldn't have gotten very far, right? Good thing I didn't try to get into it only to have it licensed.
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:16 am Reply with quote
The series is one of the best new anime from Gonzo, it is a shame FUNi got the series and not say Geneon. FUNi must still be making good money off of the rape of all things DragonBall. The real shitty part is just got going - only 7 episodes so far. I'm sure FUNi paid a good bit to snatch it up before anyone else had the chance. They will wait till the end of the series before releasing it, so you may have a year or so before it's even released here in the states.

My personal opinion is that FUNi is the worst production company in the states releasing Anime so for me being the Basilisk Fan that I am, this is all around bad news. I don't care about the possibilities of the Dubb.. and don't care if it's aired on what ever channel is trying to show anime this month to boost ratings. As for the DVD's .. You never know and it's impossible to guess at this point towards them when it's coming from FUNi.

Basilisk is great... one of the best anime released as of late and it's just getting better. To bad a company like FUNi had to get it Rolling Eyes
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:20 am Reply with quote
Funi is hardly the worst production company in the U.S. IIRC, it's done a few good releases (I'm not even thinking along any dragonball lines).

Also, have you seen what 4kids does to the anime they buy the licenses to? If not, do so, THEN tell me that Funimation is worse Wink.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quote
Demaar wrote:
Hoping all this kick ass stuff Funi is picking up will kill this prejudice people have against them.

Nah... there will always be the ignorant people who hear the word Funimation and want to vomit. It's unfortunate, since the last three years can clearly speak volumes about the company.

The Funimation of 7-8 years ago? It's long been dead. Leave the horse alone. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
E_X

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I actually think FUNi is a pretty good releasing company. They dont hike up their prices that much and include in most DVD a sub track with honorifics which kicks ass for me. Sure they sucked horribly at the beginning but people should look at their work before talking them down.

4Kids, now they were, are and will prolly always be the worst anime company in the US butchering anime in a horrible, horrible way.
angieness

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Someone's stuck in 1999 it seems! This is a series I've been interested in seeing since I've been hearing good things about it all over the place so I'm happy Funimation got it. Darkhorse, Tokyopop, Funimation...to judge any companies by their earlier stuff without seeing their recent stuff will only keep you from seeing nice quality stuff.

Fruits Basket I enjoyed watching dubbed over subbed, and while the FMA dub isn't better than the sub, I still enjoy watching both. Pick up the FMA DVDs sometime and then rethink your opinion. The FMA covers are reversable so you can have the cover like it was originally in the japanese version, plus each DVD comes with a nice booklet. The only problems I have with Funimation are the commercial at the opening of the DVD you can't skip.

Funimation occasionally mails us Suncoast employees free DVDs, recently we got Gunslinger Girl and Burst Angel, and while I haven't seen either series beforehand, they seem to be treating all of their properties better than in the DBZ days. I imagine Basilisk will be no exception
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote
For me FUNimation is becoming my favorite company.

They've licensed some really great series, and they are doing a good job and are getting alot better. Some of their series might be a bit thin on the extras, but I do like how they sub honorifics.

What I have seen as fansubs FUNimation has licensed:
Bakuretsu Tenshi
Full Metal Alchemist
Galaxy Railways
Gunslinger Girl
Samurai 7
Sunabouzo (don't really know why they wanted this one)
Tenchi Muyo GXP
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki OVA 3

I intend on buying all of these (except for Sunabouzo maybe), and I already have all of Tenchi GXP and 1 DVD of Bakuretsu Tenshi. I even got the 1st DVD of Fruits Basket from the BX yesterday for 50% off for $8.97 (they are trying to get rid of alot of stuff that's been sitting on the shelves for a long time)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Same here, I like FUNimation. I think they're doing a great job with Fullmetal Alchemist; and I like what they did with Yu Yu Hakusho. I'm surprised that Basilisk was licensed so soon, I think it started about 2 months ago in Japan. Oh well, I'm excited for it; I checked out the fansubs and I liked it. Speed Grapher and Trinity Blood are also cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3