• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Figma Homura Akemi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
What's with the golf club?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Without spoiling too much..,it's what she used for practice when she started the whole magical girl thing. She beats up an oil drum with it.
aereus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
About the golf club:
spoiler[Her first combat weapon is a golf club. She only starts using guns later.]
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Do want.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Your webcomic pleases me greatly.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Does she only come with the one gun? I may have to take the gun from my nendo to do the pose I want to do (John Woo anyone?). Maybe I'll go double bazookas instead...

Ugh. Mine still wont be here for a few weeks. Stupid cheap shipping.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I've heard some horror stories that Homerun had some pretty bad QC issues on some units. Don't know how widespread those issues are though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

It's a Xmas gift from Tiger Woods' ex-wife. Don't leave home without it! Laughing
Zic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the price of shipping should really be included in the price of the figure. It really inflates it by a lot.
silencer226

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I got this Figma 2 weeks ago, I think it looks pretty cool. $54 wasn't too bad to pay, can't wait for the Kyoko Figma with Kyubey accessory.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Does she only come with the one gun? I may have to take the gun from my nendo to do the pose I want to do (John Woo anyone?). Maybe I'll go double bazookas instead...

Ugh. Mine still wont be here for a few weeks. Stupid cheap shipping.

One gun. I usually make a point to photograph everything that's in the box, but this time I left out the shield bit.

PlatinumHawke wrote:
I've heard some horror stories that Homerun had some pretty bad QC issues on some units. Don't know how widespread those issues are though.

Didn't have any problems on mine. However, this is the first time Amiami has ever left a notice warning me that I can't get support on a figure outside of Japan. Now I don't know if that was a coincidence...

Zic wrote:
I don't think the price of shipping should really be included in the price of the figure. It really inflates it by a lot.

I've had this question before, and here is my rationale. Listing the price of a Japanese toy by itself without addressing shipping would be dishonest to the reader. If you buy from Japan, you're paying international shipping. If you buy in a local store or at a con, they're going to put the cost of shipping in with the figure, and you'll usually pay a little bit more than you would if you bought from Japan.

This cost is unavoidable, and with the dollar getting worse it's gotten much greater. A couple of years ago Figmas were $35 at the worst. The cost of international shipping is really important information and I'm going to continue to use the prices we actually pay here at the column.

gerbilx wrote:
Your webcomic pleases me greatly.

Thank you!
IkariGendo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:

Problem with "horror stories" is that people tend to overexagerate, especially the unsatisfied ones are usually more vocal. And as it says in the review, figma paintjobs are never as good as the prototype shots :/

Zic wrote:

Can you buy the figure for the MSRP price and get free shipping? But I think the column uses EMS shipping, so that's the part that inflates it, you can always choose SAL and wait longer (not an option if you want to have up to date reviews for the new ones).

Quote:
Didn't have any problems on mine. However, this is the first time Amiami has ever left a notice warning me that I can't get support on a figure outside of Japan. Now I don't know if that was a coincidence...

Heard about this as well, I dug around about on a figure site and seems like their CS has gotten a bit harsh. Not in terms of the tone of replies but how much support they're willing to offer.

I'm still waiting for mine, SAL sure is slow.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:

I'd put stock in the rumor, as I'm now comfortable "Homerun" isn't the only figure having problems in the quality department. It's been disappointing to see how this line has degraded over time, from misaligned/misshaped parts to really bad and obvious paint issues.

I walked away from this line this year, and I've read comments of others doing the same. A shame, too, because this industry needs a mid-range price level for those who can't afford to be a collector (which is quite expensive).

By the way, Dave: RACS is having another sale on figures. While Actsta Fate's price went up a bit, it's still pretty cheap to the MSRP. Actsta Nanoha can be had for less than $90 (free shipping).
I highly recommend this line, collectors!

I'd email this info to you, but I'm afraid "PetrifiedJello" in a "from" line gets sent to the trash folder.

IkariGendo wrote:
Problem with "horror stories" is that people tend to overexagerate, especially the unsatisfied ones are usually more vocal.

I disagree, and this should be something to be concerned with when non-collectors are seeing such poor quality. When an industry is whining about loss in sales, the last thing it should do is deliver bad quality products.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Homura is the moe Wile E. Coyote
I lost it right there.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, there's some bad paint, but at this price (oh god, I'm getting used to $50 as a low price for an action figure help) it does its job as well as you could ask for.

I'm right there with you bro. The other day I was looking at one of those $100+ figures going "Looks like a good deal to me." Now I know what Apple fanboys feel like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2