• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Selling off your collection

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you sell or trade things from your collection?
Spambot stock is selling fast!
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
I sell/trade off almost everything, I don't see the point in rewatching/rereading anything
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I sell/trade off a lot of stuff, only keeping what I really like
10%
 10%  [ 10 ]
I sell/trade off a few things here and there, when I need more room or money
19%
 19%  [ 19 ]
I only sell/trade titles I really really hated
32%
 32%  [ 32 ]
I never sell/trade anything no matter how much I hated it
35%
 35%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 99

Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Poll created at classicalzawa's request.

I haven't gotten rid of anything yet, although I've been thinking about it more often. If I do get rid of a couple things, it'll be the stuff I just really don't like.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm somewhere between only keeping what I really liked and only selling stuff when I need the room and/or money. It can kinda depend on my mood, but yeah, I do collection spring cleaning fairly often. I like the idea of concentrating what I like in my collection, making it very dense on, what to me, is awesome. Only keeping stuff that I could see myself rewatching. Though I do keep a few joke anime like Garzey's Wing around.

Honestly though, I just don't have the room, I can't fit any more shelves anywhere, so I gotta make the most of my room, and to do that, it can't all stay.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I only sell/trade things I don't like. It doesn't happen too often and usually its do to a blind buy. I do have stuff in my collection that's mediocre or annoys me, but I keep it because it may have some small redeeming quality that justifies revisiting it in part or whole.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote
I'm a hunter who enjoys rabbit as long as the pursuit last, but when I finally get it I don't know what to do now.

I've got rid of nearly all anime I have after I noticed I had lost the key to the bookcase where I kept it and it didn't bother me that much. The day I found it some time ago was the last day of my anime collection. I've never re-watched anything, so there was no point in keeping it. They quickly found new homes where somebody would watch them.

For manga I have several volumes that I'm emotionally attached to. Sailor Moon first release with hilarious translation, first release of Ten no Hate Made, Dragon Ball, FMA and Black Jack. The rest of the collection constantly changes it's shape as volumes are taken and gone. When the tablecloth that protects them from dust seems to be not risen for a long time it's time for them to change owner.

The only thing I regret is selling my Lady Oscar- I needed money and the prize was far greater than those I've paid, but still there's a pain.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
I selected "I sell/trade off a few things here and there, when I need more room or money" but "I only sell/trade titles I really really hated" is also true.

I do sell things only when I need space or money, but so far I have been lucky(?) enough to have enough things that I do not like and have not had to sell anything that I do like.
If I got desperate enough I would sell things that I just sort of like , a little.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
archaron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I chose "I sell/trade off a few things here and there, when I need more room or money." For me I am willing to trade and or sell a few titles here and there, but for the most part I don't get rid of much. My collection so far is getting big enough that I will need to make some decisions soon on what I want to keep.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I did used to sell stuff that I had no plans to reread or rewatch, but then something kicked in and now I save everything, even stuff I probably won't read or watch again. My collection feels more complete that way. I sold some stuff in the past that I regret now.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Most of the stuff I've sold in the past has been manga series that I've become bored of and sold because I've needed more space and/or more money for new stuff. Bleach 1-24 I think is the biggest set I've sold. I've also sold off most of my yaoi as I don't care for it as much as I did when I was 16... Living with my boyfriend makes having yaoi around a little difficult as well Laughing
I've also sold a few duplicate volumes that I've come by over the years, and I sold my volume 1 of 07-Ghost when Go Comi went bust.
I've not sold many DVDs as I don't have that many to begin with. Generally, I'm fairly picky about what I buy, so don't tend to end up buying stuff which I don't like and want to sell on. I've also traded quite a bit of stuff with friends over the years. Some things in my collection I like more than others, but most of it I can see myself wanting to keep for the foreseeable future.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
The sale or trade options around here are pretty much non existant. As a result I give stuff away that I no longer need. This is mostly anime singles when I found a more compact version and some flipped manga when an unflipped version came out. I have also given away some stuff that I didn't care for.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
I have sold 23 anime TV series (would have been 24 if I could have unloaded my Heroic Age BD, but the third disc has a scratch) and 1 OVA (Master of Martial Hearts) so far. On the whole, I have not regretted any of the choices, with a few exceptions. Even though I doubt I'd watch it again, I kinda wish I'd held onto The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye and a few others. I actually regret selling my Zone of Enders set, not because I'd ever watch it again, but because it has left me without a title starting with "Z" - the only letter in the alphabet I missing for TV series! I'd never regret selling my Moeyo Ken singles even under threat of torture.

I've already double-dipped: I sold His and Her Circumstances, only to buy a used copy (along with a bunch of other stuff) a little while ago. Eh, it only cost me $10 which is what I got for my original and it's the thinkpak instead of the later release I had; I prefer the thinpak.

I would have been smarter hanging onto things like my six Best Student Council volumes and then selling them down the road online. I'm sure I would have gotten more money for them than at the second hand book store where I sold them.

I think from now own I'll probably do that kind of thing. But bottom line: for me there is no point in permanently keeping things I will never rewatch.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Blind buying as much BL manga as I do I've got a good chunk of titles to which I have no strong attachment and should probably try to sell in the Amazon Marketplace or something.

Sometimes when I'm trying to cram more manga into my existing shelves and failing I consider going through my collection and, if I don't have an immediate (positive) recollection of the title upon seeing the cover/synopsis, put it aside for resale-- basically just keeping titles by the (many) mangaka I love and/or stories I really enjoyed and letting the rest go. Though even in the most mediocre anthology book there's usually at least 1-2 oneshots I like, so I'm not sure how this plan of attack would work. I'm really kind of a hoarder at heart.

I'm much pickier about what anime I buy (now, at least, though early in my fandom not so much-- Hello, Nightwalker!) so most of that I'd like to keep.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
As I have mentioned in other threads since becoming a homeowner I have become essentially a hoarder and don't get rid of anything so I chose the last option on the poll.

I've never sold or traded anything online but I have participated in swap meets at cons. The first one I attended was actually done by the anime club I belong to so I did actually sell a couple of items (cons do not permit cash transactions at swap meets). Although I was happy to be able to complete my collection of the CPM release of Revolutionary Girl Utena (because we all knew it would never be rescued Mad ) I have some regrets about trading certain items, especially the ones that are now out of print and the ones for which I had the singles with the artbox. I now only trade duplicates (which I get from buying artboxes after already owning the series, thereby ending up with doubles of vol. 1 or, as in the case of Last Exile, the whole series).
DifferentD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
The only manga or anime I myself have gotten rid of are duplicates. My fiance has sold 2 different series.. one of them with the plan of buying the cheaper set and the other because I guess he didn't really like it. Personally.. I can't see myself parting with any of my collection at this point..
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I never trade anything really. The only times I sold anime is when I re-bought it on BD [so I sold the dvd version]. I keep all my games and anime for the most part. Yes I've sold some games too, but thats because they either sucked very very bad or I got the HD collection of them.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
In most instances, I've only sold off parts of my collection whenever either I'm in need of money or to free up shelf space. Most notable instance of my selling spree was for a good while from May to October of last year when money was getting tight on my end due to my unemployment having dragged out for so long and needing money to keep afloat to an extent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2