• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Russian Animator Honored by Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't write this in the news, but I assume that he was honored because the camera techniques he inovated were later copied by Japanese animators.

Therefore his work would have directly contributed to the quality of moden anime.

This is just supposition on my part, for now.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Great, now I have an excuse to talk about Russian animation - which is absolutely brilliant Smile .

Speaking of Yuri Norstein, did you know that "Tale of Tales" was/is shown in the Ghibli Museum? I also heard that he's very popular and respected in Japan.

I remember being very impressed by "Hedgehog in the Fog". It's a very visually impressive and intresting cartoon. If you never seen anything by Norstein, I suggest you check out his cartoons (assuming you can find them, of course). You will be very impressed. I assume that he was honored for a lot more than just using innovative camera techniques.

I also recommend "The Masters Of Russian Animation Series" which collects some of the best examples of Russian animation. If you think there's a lot of variety in anime, chances are you will be blown away by what you there.

Some of my favorites are: "Padal Proshlogodny Sneg", "Plastilinovaya Vorona", "V Sinem More, V Beloy Pene" and "Ish Ti Maslenetsa" (is that enough of wierd sounding titles for you Wink ?).

It is very unfourtinate that there's been a sharp decline in Russian Animation in the recent years. Hopefully, that will change soon (especially after the success of Little Longnose).

Last edited by Proman on Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
roxfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Some modern Russian animation:
http://vision.rambler.ru/cartoons/
Page about Norstein at Wikipedia (needs work *hint* *hint*):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Norstein
BTW, he was a voice actor in Jubei-chan 2 Smile
.com person

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Yah!!!!! It's so concidenal that a few weeks ago I learned about Cherburksha ( dunno if I spelled that right). I haven't even really been to the link yet and I can't wait to check it out. Very Happy Smile
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:38 pm Reply with quote
.com person wrote:
Yah!!!!! It's so concidenal that a few weeks ago I learned about Cherburksha ( dunno if I spelled that right). I haven't even really been to the link yet and I can't wait to check it out. Very Happy Smile

It's "Cheburashka" and it uses stop motion animation.
Who told you about it?
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:31 pm Reply with quote
He did one segment for the anthology film Winter Days, which also features a short by Isao Takahata and some Japanese stop-motion animation. God, I want to see that thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:42 pm Reply with quote
been so long since i moved to Canada, used to watch good old Soviet cartoons back in the motherland.

@Proman
im surprised that a person from the USA knows so much about Russain animation. i take my hat off to you sir.

brings back some good old memories
*starts singing the song from Plastelinovaya Vorona*
roxfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Cheburashka, there were news some time ago that Japan is planning to do a series with it. Couldn't find much info in English except this:
http://www.banff2003.com/main/bulletins/2003Bulletin5_Thu.pdf
(search for "Cheburashka").
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:47 pm Reply with quote
TMBounty_Hunter wrote:

@Proman
im surprised that a person from the USA knows so much about Russain animation. i take my hat off to you sir.

I'm very sorry to disapoint you but the main reason why I know so much about Soviet Cartoons is because I was born in USSR (guess this makes us zemlyakami Wink .
However, I'm a lover of animation in general and know a lot about cartoons from different countries.
You're right about one thing though: those cartoons sure bring back some great memories Smile .

Last edited by Proman on Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
bnewhall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone recommend some good Russian animation that's available on VHS or DVD? Or even for download? I'd like to check out more Russian animation, but I don't even know where I can find any.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Check out the 'Masters of Russian Animation' series that Proman mentioned. I've never seen it for sale in a brick-and-mortar store, but many online retailers sell it.

There's also a DVD series called 'Stories From My Childhood' (put out by the same company) but I'm not very familiar with it. I think the first volume includes The Snow Queen, which reportedly almost discouraged Miyazaki from getting involved in the animation industry, because he felt that he couldn't ever create anything that good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
roxfan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:40 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
I think the first volume includes The Snow Queen, which reportedly almost discouraged Miyazaki from getting involved in the animation industry, because he felt that he couldn't ever create anything that good.

It was the other way around.
Quote from nausicaa.net:
Quote:

Snezhnaya Koroleva (Snow Queen) -- A Russian animation film directed by Lev Atamanov, 1957. Miyazaki saw this film when he was unhappy about his job and wondering if he should continue working as an animator. Miyazaki was so moved by it, he "decided to continue working on animation with renewed determination". He says that he learned that characters in animation can act if they are animated well enough, and animation can move people as other media can do. We can see its influence on Horus, such as the design of the Forest King; and the two sides of Hilda.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
I'm very sorry to dissapoint you but the main reason why I know so much about Soviet Cartoons is because I was born in USSR (guess this makes us zemlyakami Wink .
However, I'm a lover of animation in general and now a lot about cartoons from different countries.
You're right about one thing though: those cartoons sure bring back some great memories Smile .

heh, guess it was too good to be true Laughing

*sigh* as good as life is here, something you still miss
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah I think I remember him. I think I saw him pictured in a Ghibli Museum Book. I think he helped with the interior design.

I'll look at his work.

cool work.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Olya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:58 am Reply with quote
Sorry for digressing, I saw Yuri Norstein's animetion in the theater on June 18.
I understood why he is called "the poet of image". His animetion is artistic, and very exquisite.
I saw "Little Hedgehog in the Fog" "A Tale of Tales" "The 25th- The first Day of the Revolution" "The battle of Ker zhenets" "The Fox and the Hare" and "Her on and Crane." It is rare that his works is screened in Sendai.

Last edited by Olya on Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2