• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Duplicate Anime/Manga titles.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRAGON_6688

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:35 am Reply with quote
Vulgar Ghost Daydream and Vulgar Spirit Daydream are the same thing. The word "rei" can mean ghost or spirit in the original title "Teizokurei Daydream".

Last edited by DRAGON_6688 on Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:24 pm; edited 4 times in total
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote
I believe Debts of Desire and Gakuen are duplicates, at least if "Gakuen" refers to Gakuen ~Chijoku No Zushiki~. Comparing the kanji/kana in Gakuen to the original (which I can not do--I don't have the Japanese Language Kit installed) should do the trick.

Here's another reference.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:26 am Reply with quote
Ginsou Kikou Audian and Platinumhugen Ordian are duplicates--and where "Platinumhugen" came from I have no idea. According to page 287 of The Anime Encyclopedia the title is Ginso[u] Kido[u] Ordian.

I can't find the romaji in Merriam-Webster's Japanese-English Learner's Dictionary to double check them, but Animelab.com's Japanese -> English Dictionary lists "platinum" as "shirogane" and "hakkin". (I don't read Japanese, and my computer is lacking Japanese character support, so I can't check the kanji/kana. ;_;)
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:18 pm Reply with quote
DRAGON_6688 wrote:
anime#4359 and anime#4412 are the same thing. The word "rei" can mean ghost or spirit in the original title "Teizokurei Daydream".

I pointed this out on page 3. ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Sound of Waves is an episode of Seishun Anime Zenshu, not an OAV. See column 3, page 14 of The Anime Encyclopedia.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
The following are duplicates of Dirty Pair OAV--they are even listed and linked as being part of it. All ten OAVs were made as a single series to bulk out the original TV series for Italian television broadcast (see paragraph 1, column 2, page 91 of The Anime Encyclopedia). The only reason I can think of that the entries exist in this format is that A.D. Vision originally released the ten OAVs on five VHS tapes.

There is a similar situation with the Dirty Pair Flash OAVs:In this case I think the "Dirty Pair Flash (OAV)" entry ought to be eliminated, and the others linked as related. (Edit: Though this is an opinion based on the A.D. Vision releases, and TAE entry--I do not have direct information on have they were released in Japan. And I just realized I might, if my copy of the DPF art book was not on loan. :-/)

Lastly, I'm wondering when the duplicate entries are going to be fixed. I see Encyclopedia staff posting to this thread (Michi and dormcat), from which I infer that they do not have the power to fix this sort of problem, and there are entries reported in the last thread, Duplicate anime/manga titles (OLD) (those reported by EmperorBrandon, myself, chris keck, and dormcat (first post)), to which attention has yet to be paid. (Most embarrassing, I think is that the No Need for Tenchi! (manga) and Tenchi Muyo! (manga) reported by rage-demon on the first page of that thread (at Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:29 pm) still have yet to be merged. ^_^;;;) I realize that duplicate companies are a low priority, but I was given to understand that anime and manga entries are the core of the project (my paraphrase). ISTM that duplicate anime and manga entries affect the accuracy of information they receive--or at least cause a (potentially large) duplication of effort.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:46 am Reply with quote
Hana to Yume (manga) is a duplicate of Hana to Yume [company] the magazine.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:13 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
There is a similar situation with the Dirty Pair Flash OAVs:In this case I think the "Dirty Pair Flash (OAV)" entry ought to be eliminated, and the others linked as related. (Edit: Though this is an opinion based on the A.D. Vision releases, and TAE entry--I do not have direct information on have they were released in Japan. And I just realized I might, if my copy of the DPF art book was not on loan. :-/)

I think a good idea would be to have a "Dirty Pair" entry containing all of the DP and DPF flash stuff, kinda like the Saber Marionette entry that contains SMJ and SMR stuff. I think that's what the first DPF OAV entry is trying to do. But you're right, it should be eliminated. ADV did the right thing with their release -- the OAVs for DPF are indeed separate series Dirty Pair Flash, Dirty Pair Flash 2, and Dirty Pair Flash 3, with episodes within them. I own a couple of raw Japanese VHS tapes of DPF2 episodes so I can confirm this. ^^

As for the encyclopedia... There's just a lot of .. backlog and.. junk that happens. Can't be helped when anyone can add any info, and it isn't very.. um.. uniform or even. Anime hyper;
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:17 am Reply with quote
(Warning: tangent. ^_^)

Quote:
I think a good idea would be to have a "Dirty Pair" entry containing all of the DP and DPF flash stuff, kinda like the Saber Marionette entry that contains SMJ and SMR stuff.

Except that in these cases the same thing can be accomplished by using the "related" feature, and at the same time provide more information about the shows. Specifically, SMJ/SMJ Again/SMJ-to-X are prequels of SMR, while the SMJ manga is an adaptation of the television series. The SMZ manga (which does not yet have an entry) is a sequel to all of the above. (No, I didn't know all of that off the top of my head. ^_- ) See Hitoshi Doi's Saber Marionette Encyclopedia and the Saber Marionette - Saber Site, especially the latter's Time Table. I am thus in favor of replacing the Saber Marionette omnibus entry entirely with "related" links.

As for DP and DPF, the latter is (technically) a sequel to the former, taking place a century later with similar characters working for the same organization (again, page 91 of The Anime Encyclopedia). (The ANN Encyclopedia entry states that DPF is a remake, which is also certainly true.)

IMHO the omnibus grouping does have its place, but that place is for linking series that are not directly (structurally) related, such as the various Gundam worlds, Digital Works' The Vanilla Series brand of hentai OAVs, and the Wonderful anthology television show.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Except that in these cases the same thing can be accomplished by using the "related" feature, and at the same time provide more information about the shows.

That's true. When you put it that way, it does make more sense to do have them just related. But ehh, I was posting past midnight when I haven't been up that late in a while. Anime hyper

But aren't the SMJ entries already connected? Maybe not the manga, but I think I remember all the J-something anime were. I can go connect them better later if needed.

Quote:
the latter is (technically) a sequel to the former, taking place a century later with similar characters working for the same organization

Yeah, but it's not really a sequel. It's like an alternate retelling.. sequel.. thing. Anime hyper; The original Dirty Pair is mentioned in DPF, but under different names. They're like alternate versions of themselves. So DPF isn't a real sequel. X_o I'd call it an alternate retelling with homage to the original. According to ANN terms, it is definitely not a remake as it is currently marked because it's goes off on an entirely different idea.. It's not just updating the same characters, so it's more like an alternate retelling. A remake is more like the 70s Glass Mask versus 2005 Glass Mask. I absolutely love DPF so I'd really like to get its entry here cleaned up. It should just be "Dirty Pair Flash" and then DPF2 and 3 as sequels to it. I'll work on that later.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
But ehh, I was posting past midnight when I haven't been up that late in a while. XD

No problem. ^_^

Michi wrote:
But aren't the SMJ entries already connected? Maybe not the manga, but I think I remember all the J-something anime were. I can go connect them better later if needed.

Oops! It seems I forgot to mention that here. I did mention it in my request to have them connected.

<snip DP/DPF dicussion>

Whatever you think best--I'm not going to argue to have DPF made a sequel. I was just pointing out a technicality. ^_^

Michi wrote:
I absolutely love DPF so I'd really like to get its entry here cleaned up. It should just be "Dirty Pair Flash" and then DPF2 and 3 as sequels to it. I'll work on that later.

Thanks!
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote
Night Shift Nurses (OAV) and Night Shift Nurses: RN's Revenge (OAV) are from the same series—Yakin Byouto. (The latter entry has an alternate title of "Yakin Byouto 2", which is incorrect.) NSN is contains OAVs 1–3, NSN:RN's R contains OAVs 4 and 5, and the unmentioned NSN: Clinical Confessions contains OAVs 6 and 7. There are twelve OAVs in the series altogether, included 10.5 and Kranke Z (subtitled "Kodama Hikaru").

(There a is a Yakin Byouto 2 as well as a Yakin Byouto 3rd Round (if I'm reading the URL correctly), but neither of these are in the Encyclopedia at this time.)

(Disclaimer: Just because I know this does not mean I am happy the series is being released here, given its reputation. Why can't we get a nice hentai series like Dokyuusei 2 instead? ;_; )

Edit: Night Shift Nurses: Clinical Confessions (#5711) has been added since I first made this post. :-P

Edit 2: Just to put everything in one place, there is now an entry for Yakin Byoutou 3 (#7592; AKA Night Shift Nurses: Experiment), and CPM/Anime 18 has issued a fourth volume of the original series, entitled Night Shift Nurses: Carnal Corruption, which contains episodes 8 and 9. For a complete list of NSN releases as of 19 December 2006, see this "Ask John" column. (The NSN "Anime" releases are by Soft on Demand's "Anime on Demand" label; NSN products at Getchu.com.)

Last edited by doc-watson42 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:44 am; edited 3 times in total
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Spaceship Agga Ruter (OAV) and Spaceship Agga Reuter (OAV) are duplicates; the former is the correct title, per Anime 18.
SimHuman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Seconding the report that Gun X Sword and [url=animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4920GUNxSWORD[/url] are the same show. GUNxSWORD is the correct title according to the official site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 17