• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Madlax DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chloes_fork

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:52 am Reply with quote
The "rampant sexuality which characterized the earlier episodes"? Wish I had gotten the same version of volume one you did. Razz

Gotta agree that the second volume definitely raised my level of interest and involvement in this show, though.
frubam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:37 am Reply with quote
chloes_fork wrote:
The "rampant sexuality which characterized the earlier episodes"? Wish I had gotten the same version of volume one you did. Razz

Well, i wouldn't say "rampant" but probably "unnecessary" would be more appropiate. I don't think it was necessary to put on a sexy dress just to kill a few soldiers, noir (yes a pun) was it to dress up for a man she was going to kill. Imo, that just seems to be her personality at work. Or may Kuroda just didn't want Madlax to seem stiff and cold, the cliche` and stereotypical idea of the assassin.

I liked volume 1 just as much as volume 2. MADLAX is taking a different direction than most "girl with guns" shows. Though the Margaret storyline lacked the action-packed adventures of Madlax's, its slice-of-life perspective (as well as Maraget's/Madlax's cheerful side in their personality) is still enjoyable to watch. It gives me the impression that these are, in a sense, real individuals with feelings, and that alone makes it more enjoyable to me than Noir did.
chloes_fork

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
frubam wrote:
It gives me the impression that these are, in a sense, real individuals with feelings, and that alone makes it more enjoyable to me than Noir did.

I didn't have any problem at all seeing Mireille and Kirika as real individuals with feelings; in fact, I felt more of a connection to them at an early point in Noir than I do Madlax and Margaret so far. Their emotions tended to be muted in expression, but that was appropriate for the characters, and didn't prevent me from seeing their pain and the slow-growing bond between them despite their minimalist exteriors.

OTOH, the characters in Madlax are so eccentric, and their behavior so frequently inexplicable, that it's kept me at somewhat of a remove so far. I'm curious about them, but not emotionally invested in them as yet.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
It sucks that the best part of the show will be in the last few vols of this anime, but anyway, I guess that's what I like about Madlax over Noir as well. The girls seems to have more emotion then Kirika and Merille did. Plus, towards the end is the part of Madlax I love watching over and over again; the grace and beauty in which Madlax kills her target. I think the reason she wears that dress is to show off her nick-name "The kind killer" because that is what she truely is. She says sorry in one way or another to her main victums. In Noir the emotion wasn't until the last vol, but in this show emotion is all over the place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1