• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst Manga You've Ever Read

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milcor1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Who are you to say about what someone's worst manga should even be? If they didn't like it, they didn't like it so please respect their opinions even if you disagree with them.
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Because the question was Worst Ever, not "Most Disliked" or "Least Favourite"
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Off the top of my head, Bomber Girl, Detective Conan, and Mar. I also feel Dr. Slump's overrated even moreso than DBZ.
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that disappointed me with Chobits was that Tokyopop seemed to advertise it as more of a mecha series rather than a romance series. Everyone is entitled to their opinion as well.

And in my opinion, Diabolo sucked. It was loaded with weak characters who found an escape on selling their souls to the devil. The plot line was also random and had no real direction.

Also Red Prowling Devil seems to have just been cancelled. Not that it had a bad ending, it just had no real ending whatsoever. It just randomly stopped.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
What is Mahoromatic? I guess I didn't like Chobits because I obviously like action passed comics. I only read the first volume.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:02 am Reply with quote
I would have to say that it was Stone. That was the most blatant rip-off I have ever read. There's all these quotes from movies like Star Wars, and the whole set up with seas of sand was taken from Dune and the art was so bad it was like they gave a paintbrush to an elephant, and then you had pirates right out of the Caribbean (I think there was even a parrot on the captain's shoulder!) I still have nightmares about moving my eyes over the pages.
i_luv_manga/anime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:23 pm Reply with quote
in my opinion, it would be crest of the stars/banner of the stars. i'm not sure if the anime came first or not (anyone care to tell me?) but i hated the manga. it was a total copycat of Gundam SEED, just worse. the entire storyline and concept was basically the same. except i can't really say i hate it cause i luv Gundan SEED and since it has practically the same concept, i can't hate the storyline, just the fact that it's a ripoff of Gubdam SEED.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in the Shell. I was expecting so much out of it but it failed to deliver. True, the artwork was pretty good but the story did not connect at all. It literally took me a whole week to finish it. Even that infamous sex scene wasn't that thrilling.

The Seikai Trilogy . Competing with GITS for the most boring manga ever. The story made no sense at all and the names of all the characters were very confusing to keep track of.

Gemini Angel wrote:
Brain Powered. I couldn't even get through the second volume it was so bad. It made zero sense first something happened and then it says something like 1 year later then it happens all over again either I got a bad copy or they repeated a chapter purposley.

I agree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
Who are you to say about what someone's worst manga should even be? If they didn't like it, they didn't like it so please respect their opinions even if you disagree with them.

Well it's only fair if you think a manga is worst, you have to defend it and not just put it. It doesn't mean they're being disrespected. People should have the right to disagree if they feel like it can prove a point. Wink

Sometimes it's better to explain to them therefore it might open their eyes and see a new light. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
The manga I hate the most is also Chobits. It was around volume 4 or so that I found myself want to see Chi killed off. Well, it didn't happen. I thought that Hideki's situation hadn't really improved at all by the end of the book-only now he was in loooooove. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
in my opinion, it would be crest of the stars/banner of the stars. i'm not sure if the anime came first or not (anyone care to tell me?)

Actually, The Crest of the Stars series was a book series first, turned into an anime, then a manga. It's hard to digest the Ahb culture he created in just one manga.

The manwha that beats out Kill Me, Kiss Me is Saint Marie. The character dialogue is nonexistant and the plot jumps like a rabbit. I thought Kill Me, Kiss Me was drawn okay, but after volume 2, the story just went down, down, down the toilet.

Quote:
The worst magna I've read was Chobits. I got it on my 10 birthday....

Whoa! Your parents really got you Chobits for your 10th birthday? Is that a typo?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
Tough to say, as I've read a ton of crap, both english publications and scans. Deus Vitae is up there, with horrid writing and an idiotic attempt at philosophy. I usually don't make it a point of remembering bad scanslations, and I only remember DV because I was fooled into buying it.
As for most overrated, I'd say it's a tie between Ichigo100% and HunterXHunter. Both seem to have developed massive followings, and both are as unoriginal as you can get (Ichigo is I"s without any charm, and Hunter is a mess of shonen cliches with unappealing characters), and while I wouldn't say they're horrible, they certainly don't deserve the praise they get. Another series which is overrated is Alichino. Again, not nessisarily bad, but the story is as dull as you can get, and lacks any originality. People seem to get caught up in the art (which is beautiful), but even that doesn't show emotion very well.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:21 am Reply with quote
It seems to me that most the mangas that have bombed are almost all shounen. Wink You guys have got it rough.
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote
That's not true. I said (somewhere) that Marmalade Boy sucked. And so does Kill Me Kiss Me....and any other shoujo manga(which I dont like) with a bad plot.....

molloaggie wrote:

Quote:
Whoa! Your parents really got you Chobits for your 10th birthday? Is that a typo?

lol My mom got me Gravitation vol.1 for Christmas when I was 11.

Last edited by Suikoden6880 on Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's not true. I said (somewhere) that Marmalade Boy sucked. And so does Kill Me Kiss Me....and any other shoujo manga(which I don't like) with a bad plot.....

Really? I'm not a big shojo fan (like, at all...) but I quite liked Marmalade Boy. How far into it did you read? It starts off pretty nonsensical but has some great plot twists towards the end...
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
The first two volumes.....-_-; *dodges thrown objects*
I dont know. I thought it got too shoujo-ish for me....so I stopped. Then one time I went to a book store and saw vol.8, and I read what happened in the ending. I was so shocked and disgusted... It's either that or Im just strange.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21