• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Gift Guru

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
I'm actually not really surprised if there are still people who haven't seen Utena. I mean, it's been OOP for a while, and the re-release ironically coincided with the first new anything Ikuhara's done in years. In that sense, wouldn't be surprised if people in Japan hadn't heard about it. And let's face it. If Sailor Moon is a Hot Topic kind of franchise, Utena would be its older and smart-ass hipster cousin who's too cool to sell out.

Quote:
I recommend that busy film students begin by watching the Utena movie (currently out of print, but soon to be rereleased by TSRI),

Especially 'cus of this and this. Wink
Thunder-Break

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
As much as I love Eden of the East, and think the series is a great thing to show people who aren't into anime, I would give someone Summer Wars over EotE.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, sure am glad I have kept current with Adult Swim's airings of Durarara. Otherwise, the second sentence in paragraph two would be incredibly spoilerific. Perhaps a more generic "people aren't always what they seem" or spoiler["even friends keep secrets from each other"] line would be in order. Not everybody streams everything when it first airs.

To those who said I should stick with it until 5 or 6 before cutting it off, thanks, but it only took that week's episode (#4, possibly in part for the only good Baccano cross-over/reference all series.) Now I'm just waiting for somebody to license rescue this, so we get some dubbed BDs and at less than three-digits per disc prices.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
Hmm, what do old anime and Linux have to do with eachother? I don't particularly like old anime (even though I'm several years over thirty), but I've been using Linux for over a decade now. I hope you're not suggesting the connection is neckbeards, because like you I'll never grow one.

Interesting suggestions though. I may have to check if my fujoshi history nerd friend already has either of those anime.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Now I'm just waiting for somebody to license rescue this, so we get some dubbed BDs and at less than three-digits per disc prices.

Since Aniplex is the rights holder, there is no possible way for its license to expire (unless I guess if the company goes belly-up, but that ain't gonna happen). So, there can't be a license rescue. Also, because DRRR!! was aimed primarily at fujoshi (in Japan at least), it did not receive a BluRay release. It is DVD-only even in Japan even though it aired in HD.

As far as Erin recommended DRRR!! for the Baccano! fans, let me just say that I was incredibly let down by DRRR, and I say this as a huge fan of Baccano.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Adult Swim Fan: Durarara!! Parts 1-3 DVD

Worst deal that Right Stuf had. Seriously, even the special edition of the Gurren Lagann movies got better handling.

Quote:
The College Anime Fan: Revolutionary Girl Utena - The Student Council Saga [Limited Edition] (DVD 1)

College fan, really? Not yuri, or artsy "FLCL-heavy" kinda of fan?

Quote:
The Fujoshi or the Foodie: Antique Bakery

Not like there's much other choice for food... and the fujoshi.

Quote:
Your Crush: Arakawa Under the Bridge Season 1 DVD/Blu-ray Premium Edition (Sub.DVD Box 1)

I'd probably pick Toradora over this... plus doesn't "Your Crush" imply that they might take their romcoms... in any way? Why not Katanagatari? *shakes fist at Right Stuf* Smile

Quote:
History Nerd Significant Other: Night Raid 1931 - Complete Collection (DVD)

I'd pick Oh! Edo Rocket up in place of this. It's not like there's a monopoly on period dramas in the first place, but this show is just too boring. I can't remember anyone's names, let alone motives, and everything just seems to happen in tandem with the history. Frankly, I'd be more entertained reading a history book; Oh! Edo at least played on the actual feeling of the times back then enough to spark interest in the era to like the show more!
But, I dunno...

Quote:
One of “Those Shows” for People Who Aren't Fans of “That Kind of Show”

Guess that makes sense; but what is "those shows" and "that kind of show"... Anime hyper

Quote:
The Anime Newbie or the Non-Fan: Eden of the East - The Complete Series (Blu-Ray + DVD)

You don't think its attempt to make a social commentary being ditched for full-blown entertainment... isn't nitpicking? Not to mention, the idea is practically abandoned for idealism (you said so yourself in a previous column but I'm coining here) to the point you'd bother care to relive the intrigue.
Granted, the show is fun for everyone, I'll give you that, but I'd pick Eva 2.0 for actually showing non-fans how anime at its most rawest can affect... anyone. And with no abandoned sentiments either. Just saying.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I'll pass on everything but the Dirty Pair-but wait-I already have both tv series sets!
protomanblues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Just want to say any Office Lady who is a fan of the Lovely Angels deserves a raise.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Yea, Erin you've got a bit of a spoiler when you mention DRRR!! You might want to change that a bit.

Megiddo wrote:

As far as Erin recommended DRRR!! for the Baccano! fans, let me just say that I was incredibly let down by DRRR, and I say this as a huge fan of Baccano.

Just out of curiosity why did you feel "incredibly let down by DRRR"? That seems to be a pretty negative reaction.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Sound of the Sky as one of the gift suggestions. I'm sure TRSI / Nozomi appreciate being 50% of the choices too. Wink
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Just out of curiosity why did you feel "incredibly let down by DRRR"? That seems to be a pretty negative reaction.

Well, all the things I loved about Baccano, the frenetic pace, the copious amount of violence, the jumbled up presentation, the psychotic characters... all of that isn't in Durarara. Instead I got a schoolboy and his friends messing around with some punks. Nobody dies and I never felt any sort of rush while watching. It has some fantastic side characters. I could watch an entire series based around Dotachin/Walker/Erika, but sadly those characters don't get much attention, and even when they do, their twisted personalities aren't ever really shown. The manga does a much better job with the atmosphere and a much darker presentation, but even then it doesn't hold a candle to Baccano in my opinion.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Durarararararararararararararararara really should get a bluray series release. It didn't even get one in japan for whatever reason. I would think that Aniplex(?) would try to capitalize on how popular it must be now since it was on Adult Swim.

Also I hope too many people didn't watch it as it aired on Adult Swim. It was certainly the kind of series that works well when watched in huge chunks at once.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Interesting timing especially considering the last episode of DRRR aired just this past Saturday. Unfortunately, I loved the show so much that I just had to splurge on both the 2nd and 3rd boxsets, so I ended up finishing the series much earlier than I thought I would.

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
gerbilx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
o.O The idea that Sound of the Sky falters at the end blows my mind. I don't know of many anythings with such a perfect ending.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Looking back at my 2011 Shelf Worthy tags, it occurs to me that this has been a great year for anime fans! There have been a lot of good new series to be excited about

No way. This year imho was very weak concerning new anime series, but even if going only by your "shelf worthy" tags, most of these series are old and / or re-releases that I just can't consider as "2011". Well, if you found many series to like, great for you. Probably I should just finally give up on being an anime fan and accept that I've outgrown this medium >.>

Megiddo wrote:

DRRR was like the childish and geeky version of Baccano. After loving Baccano I was looking forward to DRRR so much. Big disappointment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4