• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon GN 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The American Average

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:34 am Reply with quote
It's Sailor Mercury ♥. It's good to see classics like this one come around, considering what the average manga is these days.
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:39 am Reply with quote
Great to see a classic like Sailor Moon back in the states ^^
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
It should be mentioned that there is some bonus content missing from this volume. Here are the details!

Quote:
The "Concept Art" bonus pages only has the titles translated. All of Naoko Takeuchi's notes remain untranslated. Both inconsistent (because the "Concept Art" in Codename Sailor V #1 was translated fully) and lazy (why not translate the notes?).

• The two pages of "Punch" manga strips that appear in the Japanese manga were completely excluded from this English re-release. No reason was given. In fact Kodansha had officially stated that their English release would include all content from the originals. These "Punch" manga strips were drawn by Naoko and featured a bunny version of herself thanking the reader for buying the re-release and goes into the process of creating the original manga and her motivation for fixing some of the art and script in the re-release.

• Strangely there are three blank pages in the back of the book. It's possible that these were meant for the missing "Punch" manga but given that they occur after the preview for #3, it looks more likely that they were intended for an ad for all future volumes such as the one that appears in the first volume of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon.

So this makes 3 manga volumes of Kodansha's that is missing bonus content (see Negima volumes 31 & 32) without any explanation.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Either they were lazy to add/translate the bonus stuff or there were issues in maybe licensing that bonus content. Which is kind of silly, as its just a small thing to translate and I'm sure fans would want to have read these things. Since its been going on for other works, I'm thinking its some sort of license or something issue.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Either they were lazy to add/translate the bonus stuff or there were issues in maybe licensing that bonus content. Which is kind of silly, as its just a small thing to translate and I'm sure fans would want to have read these things. Since its been going on for other works, I'm thinking its some sort of license or something issue.

I don't see how this could be a licensing problem seeing as the Concept Art on Codename Sailor V volume 1 were completely translated plus with Negima, the missing Akamatsu cover notes for volumes 31 & 32 were already translated prior to their release.

TwinTranslators wrote:
Re: Negima! cover notes - We totally translated all of them. We have no clue why they didn't make the English version. #negima
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
The only things I can think of is that for Sailor V, it could be considered separate from the Sailor Moon manga itself. If they are counted that way, they went with one license over another for some reason. As for Negima, it could still be an issue of something that has happened before final print was done. There are cases where things were made but didn't make a final cut for the product.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I may look into this perhaps when I get some money I've wanting to buy the Akira manga as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1