• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cromartie Namesake Not Happy

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I've actually always wondered whether Warren Cromartie, who was a former Montreal Expo before playing in Japan, approved of his surname being used as a title for an anime/manga franchise.

Guess not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
totalgeek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I've never been a Montreal Expos fan, so I've never even HEARD of Warren Cromartie! If the series WAS named after him, he should be flattered.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
It's the Lupin/Leblanc debacle all over again...
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
I've never been a Montreal Expos fan

There are Montreal Expos fans? I thought they were regulated to the realm of myth and Fox Mulder's filing cabinet. Wink

This reminds me of a few years back when a pro hockey player named Tony Twist sued the creators of Spawn because that comic book had a mobster character with the same name as him. I don't know who won, but no one can deny that Tony Twist is an awesome name for a mobster.

Anyway, I think Cromartie's going about this the wrong way. If he feels they're unfairly profiting over his name (and I don't think they are-the reason the series is popular is because it's funny, not because his name's in it.) then he should take them to court for royalities, without taking the drastic step of trying to get the movie shut down.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
I would image that he has no idea that there is an anime with his name as part of the title as well.

Some people are just whiny little babies who want nothing but money. Or more specifically, he sees it as a way to make a quick and easy buck.

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:28 am Reply with quote
It's just a name... Nothing to whine and bitch about unless you're desperate for cash. At least it's not called "Warren Cromatie School of Deliquents". Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:12 am Reply with quote
They could always just get around it by retitling it to "Cro High".
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:18 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
totalgeek wrote:
I've never been a Montreal Expos fan
This reminds me of a few years back when a pro hockey player named Tony Twist sued the creators of Spawn because that comic book had a mobster character with the same name as him. I don't know who won, but no one can deny that Tony Twist is an awesome name for a mobster.

MacFarline lost and was out incredible amounts of money. At the same time that was a malicious joke where he named a serial child killer after a real person. This Cromartie thing is a goofy parody about poser punks in highschool.

Seeing as the series is an off the wall comedy and parody, I really don't see this becoming a big issue, but you never know.

-Xenos
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
Xenos: You're thinking of when he was sued by Neil Gaiman for a character he created in Spawn.
red stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:39 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It's the Lupin/Leblanc debacle all over again...
The Leblanc family held the copy rights to the original Arsene Lupin stories. It's pretty obvious that Monkey Punch knew about them when he created Lupin III, and made what could be considered an unauthorised sequel. So the Leblancs had some grounds to sue.

In this case, Warren Cromartie is suing the makers of the Cromartie High School live action film, but he doesn't own the copyright to the name. In fact there are thousands of people and business named Cromartie (or Cromarty) all over the world, even though the name is probably rare in Japan.

The case is also different because there has already a manga and anime named Cromartie High School, and neither they nor the movie have anything to do with baseball.

GATSU wrote:
Xenos: You're thinking of when he was sued by Neil Gaiman for a character he created in Spawn.
No, McFairlane lost money in both cases.
http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/index.php?p=513
http://briefs.toddverbeek.com/archives/Gaiman_Wins_Characters_from_McFarlane.html

One of the Gaiman chracters was called "Cogliostro". Monkey Punch should sue...
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:55 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Anyway, I think Cromartie's going about this the wrong way. If he feels they're unfairly profiting over his name (and I don't think they are-the reason the series is popular is because it's funny, not because his name's in it.) then he should take them to court for royalities, without taking the drastic step of trying to get the movie shut down.

I'm pretty sure the suit will be over defamation of character and not royalties as it's noted that he's unhappy with his name being associated with a school full of delinquents. Was this something a little more "wholesome" there probably wouldn't be any action taken.

red stranger wrote:
In this case, Warren Cromartie is suing the makers of the Cromartie High School live action film, but he doesn't own the copyright to the name. In fact there are thousands of people and business named Cromartie (or Cromarty) all over the world, even though the name is probably rare in Japan.

In this case the School is actually named after him and nobody else. As mentioned in the article there are other schools in the series named after forign baseball players so there's no doubt that it's him the title refers to.

red stranger wrote:

The Spawn character is Cogliostro, the Lupin character is Cagliostro. Also Cagliostro was a real person so Monkey Punch has no control over the name.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:48 am Reply with quote
red:
Quote:
It's pretty obvious that Monkey Punch knew about them when he created Lupin III, and made what could be considered an unauthorised sequel. So the Leblancs had some grounds to sue.

Well, yes and no. It's more like a parody. And considering it was 50 years since a new book had been written, it encouraged people to seek out the source material; so LeBlanc didn't really lose any potential sales.

Quote:

Why? It's common knowledge that IMAGE's success can be attributed to ripping off anime long before DC and Marvel decided to release manga versions of their characters. In fact, a guy I knew who worked on the Spawn animated series said that Spawn's just a composite of the the most popular superheroes like Spiderman and Batman. Although at least Gaiman has shown his respect for Japanese artists by working with Amano.

Emerje:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the suit will be over defamation of character and not royalties as it's noted that he's unhappy with his name being associated with a school full of delinquents.

I don't really consider them delinquents as much as wannabes, but I can understand how he feels, even though the hearts of the characters are in the right place. I don't really feel the series hurts his image that much, since it's more positive than negative, what with its emphasis on social interaction, problem-solving, and alternatives to vandalism. There's probably a lot more self-destructive youth manga titles out there than Cromartie.
Neoth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:54 am Reply with quote
Wait... so a nobody baseball player is suing a film, because of his last name. Oh man... some logic there... While he is at it... Why not sue every one else who has the name, "Warren"?

Pfft... This is nothing more than some moron who is taking this way too seriously. I doubt he hasn't even bothered to see the anime, or read the manga. Though, I bet he is doing this all on purpose.
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:07 am Reply with quote
What this news article did not note was that the mangaka who created Cromartie named it "Cromartie" with the intent of using names of gaijin players in Japanese professional baseball. It's not a mere coincidence that his name and the name of this manga both happen to be "Cromartie."

Cromartie High: Giants - Warren Cromartie
Destrade High: Seibu - Orestes Destrade
Bass High: Hanshin Tigers - Randy Bass
Dejiko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:16 am Reply with quote
I'm actually more surprised he beat the family of the late Freddy mercury to it Razz. You gotta hand it to the artist, resurrecting a dead pop star by injecting him with the DNA of Mike Haggar is daring Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3