• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Go Comi Website Launch

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else think that Go! Comi is a terrible company name? Confused
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Does anyone else think that Go! Comi is a terrible company name?

Aah, yes, but it just feels so Japanese, with its weird use of English and exclamation point Anime smile

The Go! Comi website is actually really nice and informative. The sections on their different manga series are modeled after the Tokyopop website, which isn't a bad thing...

I know everyone will probably just complain again about how new manga companies like Go! Comi are oversaturating the US market, but I'm pretty exicted about their new titles (especially Cantarella). Just hope to god they won't edit any of these titles, which everyone seems to be doing nowadays.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
RabbitRevolution wrote:

I know everyone will probably just complain again about how new manga companies like Go! Comi are oversaturating the US market, but I'm pretty exicted about their new titles (especially Cantarella). Just hope to god they won't edit any of these titles, which everyone seems to be doing nowadays.

Well, on their About page, they said they would not edit the titles in any way, but who knows anymore...
smutchi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
RabbitRevolution wrote:

Well, on their About page, they said they would not edit the titles in any way, but who knows anymore...

And they also said:
Quote:
Just What the World Needs -- Another Manga Publisher!
Very Happy

I think it's great that they don't edit their titles, but I don't think that there's anything that could be edited ... Did you read the descriptions of the series?! Wink
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:

I think it's great that they don't edit their titles, but I don't think that there's anything that could be edited ... Did you read the descriptions of the series?! Wink

Yes, I read the descriptions of the series and noticed that Tenshi Ja Nai and Her Majesty's Dog are both rated "Older Teen." While they both seem like harmless titles, in the shoujo realm of manga it's the "Older Teens" category that you have watch out for edits nowadays. Well at least w/Viz anyways, seeing as how both Descendents of Darkness and now NANA (in Shojo Beat Issue #2) have undergone editing despite the 16+ rating. So anyway, I have started to grow cautious about any "Older Teen" shoujo titles, seeing as how these tend to be the ones w/one or two scenes that someone in the US publishing company deems "objectionable" and therefore edits.

I truly do want Go! Comi to do well as a company. It just seems that in the past couple of months a number of manga readers are losing faith in certain companies because of various editing fiascos. Now it just takes one edit, like w/that one vol. of DoD, for people to start boycotting a title. While Viz can handle something like this, an upstart company like Go! Comi can't. I personally will continue to purchase DoD because I enjoy it regardless and wouldn't necessarily boycott a Go!Comi title because of one edit, but I fear that other irritated manga readers w/plenty of other buying options might do this Sad . W/Jake Forbes behind the wheel this company does have a lot of promise, and the statement that they won't censor makes me hope for the best, so hopefully things will turn out okay. I just don't want Go!Comi to shoot themselves in the foot or anything.

Anyway, sorry for ranting, I've just been kinda p.o.'d since yesterday when I found out that the August issue of Shoujo Beat has been edited. People on animedvd.com are already saying they won't subscribe anymore, and I'm just mad at Viz for doing something rather stupid in the long run. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1