• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: From Up On Poppy Hill

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote
Never even heard of it till now.

I thought Earthsea was a pretty bad movie, but if Goro turns in a better effort here then I could see myself being persuaded to give it a shot.
daichi383

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
All i know is it sound better than ponyo's godawful second half.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:43 am Reply with quote
Really hope this gets a release over here...
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
I'm interested now. I wasn't too keen (to say the least) on tales of Earthsea and I haven't seen any of Ghibli's recent attempts (Ponyo, Arriety(sp?)) but this sound like an appealing story.

I just hope it comes over here :']
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote
I know I've said this before, but I love the grossly underappreciated and misunderstood Tales from Earthsea, and I woud've wanted to see From Up On Poppy Hill either way. Seeing it get as good a review as it did though, here's hoping Disney will bring it over at some point.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed Tales from Earthsea, so I'm sure I will enjoy this as well. And I'm looking forward to Arrietty. Even "bad" Ghibli is better than most other studios' "good".
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I know I've said this before, but I love the grossly underappreciated and misunderstood Tales from Earthsea, and I woud've wanted to see From Up On Poppy Hill either way. Seeing it get as good a review as it did though, here's hoping Disney will bring it over at some point.

Same, I thought Tales from Earthsea was a good film too... I'm struggling to understand why it's so widely panned. I'm certain FUOPH will be brought over, if not by Disney then by some other company (though, frankly, I'd be surprised if it wasn't Disney). I can't wait to see this film once it's released over here! It sounds like something I'd enjoy.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
I actually enjoyed Tales from Earthsea, so I'm sure I will enjoy this as well. And I'm looking forward to Arrietty. Even "bad" Ghibli is better than most other studios' "good".

Earthsea was a good movie, of course when I first watched it with a friend of mine that read the books she was critical of the movie but enjoyed it but she said it had the makings of a great movie but couldn't bear fruit. Poppy Hill seems a better effort form Goro. I look forward to watching it.

I'd take bad Ghibli over most of the movies the US produce. J. Edger was good though.
Lev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I don`t understand why everyone has to act like Goro irreversibly scarred Ghibli with Earthsea, it was a perfectly fine first effort from a guy that had never directed a movie before in his life. I look forward to this movie too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I caught this at TIFF in September and it was okay. Gorgeous to look at, but for whatever reason, I just didn't get all that engaged by the story or characters. Definitely did not care for the "melodramatic" element of the boy-girl story. All in all, though, I'd say it's worth seeing just don't have huge expectations for it would be my advice.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:28 am Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed Tales from Eathsea (I saw it before I read the book), so I am glad to hear that Goro still gave a new film a go after the crushing wave of criticism he received.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
In contrast to Blood-, I also saw this at TIFF and quite enjoyed it, myself. It's definitely more shoujo melodrama than most Ghibli, but it's not As The World Turns. Not that I consider melodrama a "lower" form of art anyway.

I want to see more transparently shoujo anime films out of Ghibli, quite frankly.

I'd also rank this higher than Ocean Waves on my personal list of Ghibli.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
So, when is this hitting our side of the Pacific, if at all?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1