• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AMV.org on G4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
It's cool that AMVs are getting at least some recognition. To be honest, I'm really suprised there was no mention of AMV.org in Wired's latest issue, which focuses a lot on "remixing as art" in various mediums.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
That's great to know, I love browsing/freeloading off that site. AMV's take so much work, they really need some recognition.
dokool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:
It's cool that AMVs are getting at least some recognition. To be honest, I'm really suprised there was no mention of AMV.org in Wired's latest issue, which focuses a lot on "remixing as art" in various mediums.

There's been a bit of discussion of the G4 thing on the 'Org - we're not necessarily sure whether or not this is as good as some people think it is. Keep in mind that AMVs exist in very very gray legal territory and that while anime companies may let them slide on the basis of AMVs being free publicity for shows, if the RIAA catches wind of things the scene will suffer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
That's great to know, I love browsing/freeloading off that site. AMV's take so much work, they really need some recognition.

That makes me wonder. How big are AMVs in the entire anime community like say compared to cosplay or fanfics?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
dokool wrote:
thecactusman17 wrote:

There's been a bit of discussion of the G4 thing on the 'Org - we're not necessarily sure whether or not this is as good as some people think it is. Keep in mind that AMVs exist in very very gray legal territory and that while anime companies may let them slide on the basis of AMVs being free publicity for shows, if the RIAA catches wind of things the scene will suffer.

Honestly, what does the RIAA have to do with DVDs and anime? This would be closer for the MPAA, but neither of these actually fall under both.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
dokool wrote:
thecactusman17 wrote:

Honestly, what does the RIAA have to do with DVDs and anime? This would be closer for the MPAA, but neither of these actually fall under both.

Uh, the AMV creators have to get their audio source somehow (mostly through CDs). Rolling Eyes
RoodyPooUS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
This recent publicity can prolly be attributed to the convention season and the recent close of one of the largest anime cons - Anime Expo, since they feature an AMV contest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dokool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Dranxis wrote:

That makes me wonder. How big are AMVs in the entire anime community like say compared to cosplay or fanfics?

Well, at an anime con you may have a few dozen AMV creators, but you'll have hundreds and thousands of cosplayers. AWA might have over a hundred AMVers (roughly) since it's the AMV con. Otakon and AX also have a lot.

Primarily, what keeps AMVing smaller is cost - it doesn't cost as much to make a costume as it does to own a computer suitable for AMVing, plus DVDs for source, etc. Of course, our scene has far less drama than the cosplay scene, so there's a balance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
dokool wrote:
AWA might have over a hundred AMVers (roughly) since it's the AMV con.

Amen to that. At any given time, there are at least three or four panel rooms doing AMV marathons, either for awards, going in-between scheduled panels, or just for the hell of it. Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't know--G4's Atttack of the Show is one of the few shows of any medium on TV that really explores that grey area from a non-judgemental point of view. Certainly can't see anything bad with that. And the Wired article seemed to encourage tracking down remixes, bootlegs, and other legally grey film and music mashups.

I think it's al dependant on how it's handled. And if AMV.org is gonig to get media attention, it's probably a good thing that it gets media attention from a show that regularly does pieces on EFF and DMCA related material.
Kalium

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:
I think it's al dependant on how it's handled. And if AMV.org is gonig to get media attention, it's probably a good thing that it gets media attention from a show that regularly does pieces on EFF and DMCA related material.

What we're really afraid of is someone at the RIAA or similar deciding that that the Org has grown too high-profile to ignore. This is especially a worry for those of us involved in running the site, since we're at a higher legal risk if the proverbial smelly brown stuff hits the equally proverbial fan.

While the Fair Use defense would most likely apply to the anime, it's far less clear if it would apply to the music.

Basically, any significant media coverage makes us nervous, even those of us who buy all our software, DVDs, and CDs.
Pwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
just a friendly notice for admin/mod: AMV.org in the title isn't the same as animemusicvideos.org. Would be better to use A-M-V.org (it works as amv.org doesn't) instead so it doens't cause confusion if there is any Razz

anyway, glad the site is getting more attention.

Pwolf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:27 pm Reply with quote
RoodyPooUS wrote:
This recent publicity can prolly be attributed to the convention season and the recent close of one of the largest anime cons - Anime Expo, since they feature an AMV contest.

Say what? What do you mean close of Anime Expo? You mean it was closed due to the AMV contest, or that it simply just finished up this year and happens to be one of the largest cons and features an AMV contest?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
RoodyPooUS wrote:

Say what? What do you mean close of Anime Expo? You mean it was closed due to the AMV contest, or that it simply just finished up this year and happens to be one of the largest cons and features an AMV contest?

I'm guessing the person is saying how Anime Expo is one of the major cons with one of the biggest AMV contests (along side with Otakon and AWA) which led G4TechTV to take notice about the whole AMV community.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1