• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Paranoia Agent

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afrothunder75

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:03 am Reply with quote
Is anyone as confused as me.

[discussion thread for Paranoia Agent. In the future, NO ONE-LINERS. -b]
AnimeLord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote
i understand, if you missed an episode then you might not understand
msi435

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
afrothunder75 wrote:
Is anyone as confused as me.

What are you confused about?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Based on the audio commentary I think Satoshi Kon and Seishi Minakami were confused when they made it.
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
That one episode where the person caught as lil' slugger confesses and the story goes into "video game mode" made me wonder what state the staff in while they were producing it. Sleep deprived maybe? And where in the world did the producers come up with the charatcer Maromi? I've never seen any character like it.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Tare Panda.

Anyways, yeah, the series is odd, but the idea is that every character is borderline crazy, so each vinette highlights the craziness in their own lives (including "pseudo slugger"). I don't know if I really enjoy this series, but it certainly is interesting.
Stylez025

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Its getting good right now with it going back to serious. I was seriously turned off when that "video game" part was shown, it seemed kind of out of place for the show. But now its back to its darker mysterious side
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Stylez025 wrote:
Its getting good right now with it going back to serious. I was seriously turned off when that "video game" part was shown, it seemed kind of out of place for the show. But now its back to its darker mysterious side

just so you know, the next 3 are filler episodes, but they're REALLY GOOD filler episodes. i think a lot of people will love love 8.

and trust me, if you'e been paying attention, the whole series will make sense at the end.
scorpioEDC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I am not sure whether the director himself can make any sense out of this series.

Is the destruction of the city by those black stuffs, goo, ashes or whatever (using it to symbolize a riot in the city?) at the end of the series a reality or illusion?

I don't like to see more Animes going into this kind of confusing approach. Trying overboard to pretend having created an intelligent story is simply not a good story telling.

From what I have seen, here are some shows that eventually fall into this trap of confusion:
1. The Matrix Revolution(although it is a movie not an anime)
2. Texhnolyze
3. Evangelion

Recently, I see another shows which looks likely to fall into the same trap again - Killer 7 (although it is a game not an anime).

Perfect Blue and Lain are fine to me but Paranoia Agent is too much.

Just an opinion.
ananda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
Stylez025 wrote:

I absolutely enjoyed the "Video-game" episode, I can't remember the real title of the episode.
Anyways, I thought it was quite interesting and funny!!!

True, it wasn't nearly as dark as the other episodes, but that didn't bother me at all; I liked that it was different.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I was told that this was a weighted series, but right now Perfect Blue was more enjoyable than this. I mean the shock value is nice but outside of the threads slowly forming I would strongly hope to see more in the next couple eps.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
As others have said, there isn't much of anything for plot development in episodes 8-10; those are all about showing how the Lil' Slugger phenomenon has spread. Each of those episodes, taken individually, is quite good, but not until episode 11 is the plot advanced.

And the series does finish really, really strong.

Final thought for those who haven't seen it yet: you have to watch the scenes near the end of episode 8 VERY carefully. There are some subtle but very important artistic details in the parking lot scene that can be easily overlooked, and the episode will make less sense if you don't catch them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chapel382

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
is that why the one episode with the three people trying to kill them selves made no realy connection to anything.

i dont git it were they already dead??????
Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I have not seen most of the series but I have had the chance to catch about 4 episodes, along with Samarai Champloo (which I really like by the way) and I wasnt really all THAT confused. I have seen many animes like this so I tend to not "overthink" alot of the things that shouldnt be "overthunk".....i had to say that word. Laughing

I dont get around to watching anime any more because I spend too much time playing guitar and jammin' with my band. But I really enjoy Paranoia Agent as well as Samarai Champloo. I will have to check the dvds out later or catch a few more episodes on adult swim Very Happy

man its been a while since I've posted on these forums
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
dang, we need to organize this thread first before moving on, it's completely spoiler laden Shocked

anyway, I'm just gonna go skip over all the comments and just answer the questions about things straight... I'm kinda tired, but now I feel like injecting insight... here we go *err... gonna double post*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3