• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Bittorrent Test

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeloot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I've always thought it would be awesome if companies offered the first episode of a series free via bit torrent or direct download.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Personaly i've been hopeing they would do just this. Offer the trailers so people like me who run anime clubs can show previews without fansub hunting or, having to buy the right dvd.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Serge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of funny, but it's cool in a way...I guess.

"Will someone PLS Seed?!!"

If you can't beat them, join them.

Last edited by Serge on Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
Personaly i've been hopeing they would do just this. Offer the trailers so people like me who run anime clubs can show previews without fansub hunting or, having to buy the right dvd.

Well, Anime companies have been offering trailers for a long time now, the only thing different here is how they are distributed. Besides, how often do you see someone fansubbing a trailer? Offering preview episodes via BitTorrent may not be a bad idea though.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
This is cool I guess, but isn't it contradicting? They're using bittorrent, a program that we all know that all anime dubbing companies see as their enemies because of illegal downloading of their products, yet they want to use that same program to promote? You would think that they would focus on eliminating it rather than using it for their own gain.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
They know it's a big market, they want a peice of it. If you can't beat em (which they never would be able to) plan a covert mission to take them over.

So many people use bittorrent and such similair programs that it's really just more free advertising for them this way.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
"If ya can't beat em..." is the motto here.
Pwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
This is cool I guess, but isn't it contradicting? They're using bittorrent, a program that we all know that all anime dubbing companies see as their enemies because of illegal downloading of their products, yet they want to use that same program to promote? You would think that they would focus on eliminating it rather than using it for their own gain.

not really... BT is just a program to transport files (illegal or legal) and fansubbers like using it cause it's the best way to save bandwidth and get the job done. why not use it to their advantage since a lot of anime fans already use it? great thinking in my book...

Pwolf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Treeloot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:

Virtually everyone knows about bit torrent these days. Personally I'm glad they're promoting some legal use of it, because there's a very negative shadow over bit torrent these days.
aegeus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Besides, how often do you see someone fansubbing a trailer?

All. The. Time. It is now very common for fansub groups to fansub trailers and promos that are running on Japanese TV before the show even airs in Japan. It's a way for the group to test the waters to see how many people might download the actual show if they decide to fansub it.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I remember ADV "fan"subbing an episode of inu yasha even after it was licensed, i still have it on a cd i got from a friend somewere around here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Panon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:42 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:

Bittorrent is about as much of an 'enemy' of companies as HTTP, FTP and IRC are. You don't eliminate a protocol.

It much like how MP3s were supposedly an enemy of music companies, when in fact they were the opposite. They were just something the music companies were utterly failing to utilise to their own benefit.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:03 am Reply with quote
Hey, wow! That's great.

*goes to download the whole series elsewhere* Rolling Eyes
chaz-_-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote
ehm..i don't think that will have an effect on the fansubs

Anyways the rights ADV is owning dosn't apply here were i live ^^
zegron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You would think that they would focus on eliminating it rather than using it for their own gain.

Yea... music companys did that... see how far it got them... now they are all trying to get online distro deals. If they would have done that from the very beginning you wouldn't have the RIAA knocking down doors to 12 year old's houses looking for their mp3s... and record labels wouldn't be losing millions of dollars to mp3s downloaders.

Which i might mention they have absolutely no real evidience of that its mp3 downloaders that are ruining them, they just have circumstantial evidence. Rolling Eyes

aaaanyway i'm way off topic.. sorry. I think ADV is being very smart with checking new avenues of distributing their product. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2