• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dawn of the Arcana GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
I'll have to say, the cover didn't do anything for me. But it does sound interesting, so I guess I'll have to pick it up and see for myself.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
It was a pleasant surprise for me. I went in expecting another generic fantasy series, and although like the review (and author) said, this volume is mainly world building, I do think it has potential. I also like the fact it's not a series from Ribon or Nakayoshi, so there's the potential for more mature themes, like the discrimination of the animal-people. If you enjoy fantasy, this series is probably worth your time.
mannyperson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
This is a really fun series, and I liked that it was fast-paced. The following volumes are even better, so if you're still iffy after this first one, I'd suggest keeping on it until the next volume or so.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
I've been reading scanlations of this for a while, and I can tell you it's worth the time it spends setting things up. seriously, this series has a lot going for it, and I swear once Caesar gets some character development he becomes a much more enjoyable character.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dawn of the Arcana has immense popularity in Japan

Really? I checked on Pixiv and it has two pages worth of fanart, so at least in terms of fanbase it doesn't look like there's a large Japanese fandom. Sure, Pixiv is not a true litmus test for popularity, but for a series that doesn't even have an English Wiki page I somehow question the validity of the above statement.

But beyond that, having read some of the later volumes I agree that the series is pretty engaging. I only hope the mangaka won't end up using too many cliched tropes as the plot develops spoiler[particularly with Loki and the nature of his dark secret...whatever it might be.] Rolling Eyes
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I've been considering buying this title, so I'm grateful for this review. Though lots of world building may turn some people away, I feel that it is an absolute essential for a fantasy story.

Thanks for all your work Rebecca. I want you to know that I read and enjoy every single one of your reviews, even though I don't always comment.

'tis the season to make lists, and there are plenty of anime favorite lists running everywhere. Any chance that maybe you and the other manga reviewers here at ANN would make a personal favorites list for 2011? Most anticipated for 2012?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
Thank you, tuxedocat, that means a lot to me and is a wonderful Chanuka present.

I'd love to make a manga favorites/anticipation list - I don't know if Zac would want to run such a thing as an article, but I can weigh in over in the manga forums, certainly. Give me some time to think and I'll head over there. Wink
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
but I can weigh in over in the manga forums, certainly. Give me some time to think and I'll head over there. Wink

We'd love to see you in the thread! Smile

I'd heard of this book but didn't really know much about it but this review definitely puts it on my radar. Of course, I have like twenty million other books there but one day I can afford to read them all!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1