• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Takashi Shimizu To Direct Parasyte

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to here New Line are going ahead with this, somebody at New Line knows a good manga title or two, which is only good for us fans and manga as a whole. More exposure for good product is great.

Parasyte is a superb choice to turn into a film and a favourite of mine. I was beginning to think no one would ever do it after those old James Cameron rumours died down (now workin on Battle Angel film).

New Line seem to be en route to becoming manga/anime fandoms best friend after already bagging Monster for the same treatment. Perhaps New Line are trying to do a similar thing to what Marvel are with their big screen comic adaptions but for japanese stuff. Maybe they saw some potential in more manga adaptions after seeing the Weta Workshop designs for the now dead Eva film. Then again I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone did after the success of the Ring series and the Grudge etc.

I pray that someone please pick up Guyver or Golgo 13 for a big screen film.

Top stuff New Line, we love ya and after LotR trilogy I hope we'll get some sweet films made.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Ju On fans should also note that Lion's Gate is giving a limited release to the sequel later this year. If you're in L.A., it'll be playing at http://www.americancinematheque.com/archive1999/2005/FantasySciFiHorror.htm#JU-ON%202
Aug. 19.

Onizuka:
Quote:
I'm glad to here New Line are going ahead with this, somebody at New Line knows a good manga title or two,

Well Blade 2 and the original script for Blade 3 did rip off Vampire Hunter D...

Quote:

New Line seem to be en route to becoming manga/anime fandoms best friend after already bagging Monster for the same treatment.

I think they're just desparate for product after the LOTR frenzy died down. I mean when the best they can release is Monster-In-Law and Wedding Crashers, you know they're in trouble.

Quote:
I pray that someone please pick up Guyver or Golgo 13 for a big screen film.

Guyver's been done on the small screen with Mark Hamill. Golgo 13 was done on the big screen with Sonny Chiba and Ken Takakura, and "homaged" in Kill Bill.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is the final straw; for years I've been reading Parasyte's praises and now, after learning this, I'm for sure going to the comic store next week and picking up the 12 Parasyte graphic novels I saw there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Cloe: They could always re-release the series at a cheaper price if the movie gets off the ground.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Cloe: They could always re-release the series at a cheaper price if the movie gets off the ground.

That's what I'm hoping, as I've had great difficulty finding certain volumes.
I'm still a bit sceptical about the film, as it could turn out to be another mindless SciFi action fest that are pumped out on a regular basis. We've just got to hope for the best.
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Ah! Finnaly, one of my favorite manga's is getting more publicity.

I remember back in 1999 when TIm Burton was in line to direct the live action, and Jim Henson studios was the company they would be using for the Parasytes.

I should re-read Parasyte....
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote
I do find it interesting that Tokyopop haven't re-released Parasyte in their now standard cheaper format. Because Parasyte was one of their premier titles that turned a lot of people onto their work, I feel it's about time we had them redone, also to raise more attention to the brilliant series again.

Hopefully the film will convince them. I'd love to see free copies of volume 1/samples given away when you go to see the film or something to help push the manga line too.

Yeah, I know about the two small screen Guyver films that went pass the radar of many, (and I didn't really like them) but what we need is a proper budget big screen version with kick ass special effect that will do the manga proper justice. I'm glad Battle Angel is being done because we will see more manga the west has never heard of turned into films.

As for Golgo 13, with the manga running into 121 volumes or so their is enough scope and story there to play with for a few films (though I know one or two films have been done in japan).

True, Blade is a Vampire Hunter D rip off by Marvel, I totally agree. The rise of Blade at Marvel coincides with when things were getting stale at Marvel in the 90's. Have to say the first two films were great though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1