• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gunslinger Girl DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Ever thought that the "dubtitles" is the subtitles for the English dub and not the Japanese audio? After all it is FUNimation, and they have the literal subs for the Japanese audio and subs for the English dub,
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dachande

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Ever thought that the "dubtitles" is the subtitles for the English dub and not the Japanese audio? After all it is FUNimation, and they have the literal subs for the Japanese audio and subs for the English dub,

Yea, I've noticed that too in alot of Funi's dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
totalgeek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the end credits, I find it annoying as well that Elsa wasn't credited in the English credits. However, if you wait, the Japanese cast list comes up and Elsa IS credited there with only the Japanese VA. That makes it even more annoying, frankly!
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:27 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Well, that's what I meant: that the subtitles you get when you have that option on while playing the English dub are just the English script. If you want to get the more literal translation subtitles (i.e. the ones for the Japanese audio), then you can only get them by having the "Subtitle" option on while playing the Japanese audio.

Yes, FUNimation does this a lot with their titles. It's very annoying for those of us who like to do scene-by-scene comparisons between the English script and literal translation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
It isn't hard at all to switch the subtitle options to the set your prefer by the remote while the intro/opening for an episode is playing...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yes, FUNimation does this a lot with their titles. It's very annoying for those of us who like to do scene-by-scene comparisons between the English script and literal translation.

Yes, but I'm going out on a limb and say that most people don't do that. What you are annoyed about is merely glorified closed captioning.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
What I find strange with this DVD as well as other Funi DVD's is when I pause or skip to the next chapter, the subtitles turn on automatically.

Great volume & great review. Smile
Strategos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:26 am Reply with quote
Good to see the review has improved over the first volume. This is a great series, I really enjoyed watching it so far.
bluechibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
LOL I just finished reading the thread from the first review he did, my god he really got it wrong, I was suprised by how many "I totally disagree with that review" posts there were. Even having Tempest come in and give his two cents on reviewers giving bad reviews to popular (maybe popular is too strong a word but you know what I mean) anime series.

I'm reminded of Manga Max who kept giving Ranma 1/2 books to some woman to review and she just continued to give it terrible reviews it went so far that Viz got fed up and wrote them a letter complaining. Okay it has nothing to do with the Gunslinger Girl review but I just like mentioning it Smile

Whether the person actually has changed his view on the series on his own or given into pressure and sugar coated his review I don't know. The story must have gotten better in the 2nd DVD if it goes from C+ right up to A-, infact almost all of the ratings have gone up a lot. I thought it was a case that the first DVD is usually better then the second, guess that goes out the window Smile
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote
bluechibi wrote:
Whether the person actually has changed his view on the series on his own or given into pressure and sugar coated his review I don't know. The story must have gotten better in the 2nd DVD if it goes from C+ right up to A-, infact almost all of the ratings have gone up a lot. I thought it was a case that the first DVD is usually better then the second, guess that goes out the window Smile

I am too stubborn to "give into pressure" about much of anything (not always a good thing, mind you), certainly not my opinions about something like this. And I don't sugar-coat things, either. I also think I explained pretty clearly in my review why I gave this volume such an improved evaluation.

Gunslinger Girls is a good series, but the nature of the subject matter is going to provoke some very strong reactions. Some people (like me) are going to have such a strong negative gut reaction to its exploitveness that it will take them longer to come to appreciate the series. The improved ratings reflect a combination of A) my growing appreciation for the series, B) the fact that the second volume is better-written and better-dubbed, and C) the fact that I may have been too harsh of the artistry and musical scoring the first time around.

Anyway, Carlos (the other main reviewer) has already signed up to review vol. 3 when it comes out, so it'll be interesting to see how his evaluation of the series compares to mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
bluechibi wrote:
The story must have gotten better in the 2nd DVD if it goes from C+ right up to A-...

"You mean to tell me that you argued your way from a C+ to an A-?"
"Totally based on my powers of persuasion." Laughing
(Sorry, this just reminded me of it... ^^; )

Well, anyway, I'm happy that the review has improved so significantly. I've always thought that Gunslinger Girl was an emotionally driven series, and I'm glad that the grades for its artistic merits have not suffered this time around because of the premise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I've thought this has been a great series from when I first read the manga, and I've found the anime to be more humanizing of the girls, and, probably due to the music, elicits a more emotional response from me than the manga did, by far.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
How can a review improve? You either agree with it or you don't. Basically Key thought the quality of the second DVD was better than the first. His review of the first still applies. And what most people were complaining about, his opinion about the exploitiveness of the subject matter, he still holds.

People seem to forget, he didn't give the first DVD bad marks for his opinon on the subject matter, just on the quality of the production.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
WesW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:27 am Reply with quote
This series reminds me a lot of Elfen Lied, in that it explores the psychological ramifications of emotional neglect upon children for the purpose of creating cold, emotionless and therefore efficient killing machines.
The girls are total victims, with their handlers being victims to various degrees. I have seen several posts referring to the girls as robots, and I heartily disagree with this depiction. They have undergone severe psychological programming, or brainwashing, to shape their consciences and their views on what's normal or socially acceptable, as well as to instill blind obedience to their handlers, but they are still human.
The premise is that they all suffered some sort of severe emotional and/or physical trauma which, due to their age and undeveloped psyches, made them more "moldable" than normal. I think there are similar real-life situations in children who are taught to hate other groups of people from infancy; to see them as less than human and thus not deserving of compassion or dignity. You can even see this type of attitude in adults today with the acts of terrorism that occur daily.
I am referring to being to kill without remorse, mind you. I'm not saying that the girls are terrorists. They are simply trying to please their guardians, whose influence is magnified by the girls' social isolation from normal society.
To me, the premise of giving them bionics is there simply to justify their abilities to handle their weapons and survive urban warfare against gangs of enemies. The purpose of the show is to explore their humanity and how one might cope with the extreme circumstances in which they exist.
Epinephrine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I know the series has been out for over a year, but is there any chance we'll see a review of the third (and most touching in my opinion) any time soon? Hell, the boxset is out, its time to finish this!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1