• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anime on Demand Site Launches

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Awful timing. Been trying to watch Un-Go for a few days now. But great, much easier to find episodes now.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Why so paywall?
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Why so paywall?

This. They'll never be able to compete with Crunchyroll now.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Why so paywall?

Meaning what? They region block non-UK IP addresses, so I can no longer see directly what they are up to without getting a UK based VIPN.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Why so paywall?

Meaning what? They region block non-UK IP addresses, so I can no longer see directly what they are up to without getting a UK based VIPN.

The only thing you can watch without paying for a subscription is episode 1 of any series. If you want to see the rest, you have to subscribe, even for SD stuff.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Why so paywall?

The only thing you can watch without paying for a subscription is episode 1 of any series. If you want to see the rest, you have to subscribe, even for SD stuff.

Aha, so a more strict version of the TAN model ~ first episode free stream, second episode "member-only", third episode on and on "subscribing member-only".

Except even TAN has loosened that model as its been picking simulcasts to stream on Hulu and AFAIU those simulcasts also stream to non-paying "members" at TAN.

Indeed, overall that seems even more paywall than niconico.com in the US, with their first week free stream model, which is one week of free streaming for each episode before it goes behind the paywall.

It'll be interesting to see how that goes, but I'd be surprised if they end up at every episode after the first entirely behind the paywall.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:55 am Reply with quote
I hope for their sake as much as mine that they loosen up, because if people can't get stuff for free, they'll just go to fansubs. I doubt that many people will want to fork out 35 quid for an annual subscription without knowing what shows they're going to get from it. Only a serious hardcore fan would do that. Most of the subtitles on there are pretty terrible at the moment, as well. Most decent fansubs are better. As for purely selfish reasons, I'm poor and can't afford 35 quid a year subscription, (or a tenner per "season" but I don't know what they define a season as. If it's 1 cour, then what if you've got a 2 cour show starting then? etc) but I'll quite happily watch SD videos with ads, if I can do so for free.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I hope for their sake as much as mine that they loosen up, because if people can't get stuff for free, they'll just go to fansubs. I doubt that many people will want to fork out 35 quid for an annual subscription without knowing what shows they're going to get from it. Only a serious hardcore fan would do that. Most of the subtitles on there are pretty terrible at the moment, as well. Most decent fansubs are better. As for purely selfish reasons, I'm poor and can't afford 35 quid a year subscription, (or a tenner per "season" but I don't know what they define a season as. If it's 1 cour, then what if you've got a 2 cour show starting then? etc) but I'll quite happily watch SD videos with ads, if I can do so for free.

If SD ad-streams are not entirely self-funding advertising ~ given the lower video streaming ad rates in the UK than the US and the likely higher bandwidth cost of a smaller streaming operation ~ then they could drop down to 360p and after the first episode do it niconico style, only free for the first week.

Over the longer term, if they attract an ad-stream audience checking in every week, that will generate a steady flow of new subscriptions. That's the basic Crunchyroll business model after all ~ ad-streams as self-funding advertisement for the subscriptions ~ and Crunchyroll has been able to leverage it into a growing subscriber base and a profitable streaming site.
Takuku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
@st_owly - Several users have been discussing ideas with regards to the current subscriptions and free streaming via Anime UK News' forums to Andrew. Might be worth reading up and offering a point or two if you haven't already done so.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:12 am Reply with quote
Takuku wrote:
@st_owly - Several users have been discussing ideas with regards to the current subscriptions and free streaming via Anime UK News' forums to Andrew. Might be worth reading up and offering a point or two if you haven't already done so.

I might well do so. Thanks for the heads up Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1