• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Genshiken - PLEASE tell me there's more...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coldspider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
I have just finished watching Genshiken recently and I have completely fallen in love with this series and it's characters.It's sort of like the "Freaks and Geeks" of anime IMO.XD But unfortunately,this great series is WAY too short and comes in at a mere 12 episodes and it even introduces what seems to be a new character at the end of the series. =/

So anyway,I'm assuming there is manga out there where the anime left off.Please tell me Genshiken manga is available. ;_;
XCTU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:00 am Reply with quote
Genshiken manga is available. Del Rey publishes it. The first one has been out for a while, volume 2 just came out.
coldspider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
Well,I already know about the Del Rey release.I think I read ANN's review on it about 3 weeks ago.(it's what got me interested in the anime in the first place...)

I just want to know if the story continues on after the last episode of the series.(er,in manga of course) And if that part of the manga is available.

Sorry if this might come off as a bit annoying.I don't read that much manga at all.
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:09 am Reply with quote
No idea if it continues past the third volume.

Didn't you notice the commentary on the final episode? A series being ended prematurely is a mark of pride!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:
I just want to know if the story continues on after the last episode of the series.(er,in manga of course) And if that part of the manga is available.

Manga vol. 6 has just been released in Japan last month.

If you think this cover is funny enough, take a peek at the special edition. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote
I can't wait, since I love the series!
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
coldspider wrote:

If you think this cover is funny enough, take a peek at the special edition. Wink

Heh, glad to know Genshiken has some CLAMP fans......
coldspider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
Coffeeman wrote:

Didn't you notice the commentary on the final episode? A series being ended prematurely is a mark of pride!

Well yeah,of course I noticed.But in the last episode you have Sasahara spoiler[becoming the new chairman of Genshiken] and then there's that mystery character at the end of the episode.It's only natural to think if the series continues on after that. =/

*sigh* I really do hope the anime gets picked up again somehow.This is a great series.

dormcat wrote:
coldspider wrote:

If you think this cover is funny enough, take a peek at the special edition. :wink:

lol It's the athletes foot girl cosplaying.XD And the special edition,that's pretty funny too.Although I prefer the normal cover.Dammit,I want this now.So does Vol.6 pick up where the anime left off?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:
It's the athletes foot girl cosplaying.Anime hyper

Nah, it's impossible for Kitagawa, who hates otakudom even more than Kasukabe does, to cosplay. She's
coldspider wrote:
that mystery character at the end of the episode.

She spoiler[later joined Genshiken as a new member. Also did Kuchiki from episode 7].

By the way, take a closer look at Kasukabe and Sasahara's faces on the front cover of special edition. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
coldspider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
coldspider wrote:
It's the athletes foot girl cosplaying.Anime hyper

Nah, it's impossible for Kitagawa, who hates otakudom even more than Kasukabe does, to cosplay. She's
coldspider wrote:
that mystery character at the end of the episode.

She spoiler[later joined Genshiken as a new member. Also did Kuchiki from episode 7].

By the way, take a closer look at Kasukabe and Sasahara's faces on the front cover of special edition. Wink

lol

Well considering that I haven't even seen the mystery character's face,I guess anyone can make that mistake.They do look similar though,and the mystery girl looked like she had a different hair style in the anime.So if she hates cosplaying,why'd she join Genshiken? And what's her name BTW?

And Kuchiki comes back? Bah,I hated that guy.I was hoping Sawazaki(?) would join up with Genshiken again.

But anyway,does Vol.6 pick up where the anime left off? Or is Vol.6 relatively far ahead of the last episode of the TV series?
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:12 am Reply with quote
My reckoning is that volume 6 is relatively far past the anime.

Since a lot of the anime plots have been covered in the 2 volumes of the manga we have already.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:
Well considering that I haven't even seen the mystery character's face,I guess anyone can make that mistake.They do look similar though,and the mystery girl looked like she had a different hair style in the anime.So if she hates cosplaying,why'd she join Genshiken?

Um, you misunderstood what I said. The otaku hater is Kitagawa, who would rather be killed than joining Genshiken. The mysterious figure at the ED of finale and the cosplayer on the cover of vol. 6 is...

coldspider wrote:
And what's her name BTW?

...Chika OGIUE (荻上 千佳). She has a standing ponytail and two aho-ge at both sides, making her looks a bit like Mahoro of Mahoromatic.

That might make voice casting more troublesome, BTW.
coldspider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:04 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the info.I'm happy to know that there is more Genshiken out there and I'll definitely be buying the manga.

Anyway,what do you guys think of Kasukabe's and Kohsaka's relationship? Honestly,I don't see it lasting.Kohsaka might be quite the bishounen,but I think he's too much of an Otaku for Kasukabe. (keep in mind that I haven't read the manga... ^^; )
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote
I think it'll last.

I don't think Saki will ever become an otaku... Just... She'll stop rebelling against otakudom so much. Maybe.
apple pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
i think saki is my least favorite character but i suppose i prefer kousaka to be linked to her so other girls are not attracted to him...

in other words I want — my fav character, Sassahara — to hook up with Ohno. Or if not Ohno, I want them to intro a girl for him to begin a romance with. I realize Ohno and him have nothing in common and don't talk much. I would not mind if Ohno hooks up with her the pony tail cosplay guy. anybody can give me a spoiler on Sassahara's love life? Very Happy

i really dig this series but i would prefer that atleast one of the guys not named kousaka begin a romantic subplot because they really do get creepy — especially now that girls are in the club.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2