• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Escaflowne the Movie on Cartoon Network

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Looks like CN's gonna be busy on 9-10,with the US debut of Naruto and now the Escaflowne movie.
LightNightmare148

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:
Looks like CN's gonna be busy on 9-10,with the US debut of Naruto and now the Escaflowne movie.

My thoughts exactly. CN seems to be good on that day. Can't miss it. Althogh I already saw Escaflowne on Adult Swim On Demand, and I gotta say it's not the best movie ever. It's just bearable..
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
There's so many holes in that movie, it's rediculous.

That film was a steaming pile, compared to the series. Even if you dont (which I know you're not supposed to), it's still stupid film in which nothing happens.
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
After borrowing the movie from someone, I'd love to see the entire series. The movie wasn't too impressing from all the stuff I had heard about the TV series, but it wasn't bad. Just okay. The movie is rated 13+, so there shouldn't be any edits. The sountrack was realy nice though. The main thing about the movie, is that the plot wasn't all it could have been. I kept waiting for the big thing to happen, but the "big thing" turned out to be about 8 minutes long. Maybe bcause they kept trying to save money? There were lots of scenes of just scenery, not that I'm complaining or anything.

EDIT: From the perspective of someone who hasn't seen the TV.

Last edited by .Sy on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
shessh, am i wierd? don't answer that

saw it at wizard world whenit just came out. Saw it prior to the tv series. I did see the tv series and it was deffinitely better, but the movie was fun. spoiler going all black and spoiler killed by spoiler instead of spoiler was neat.

dunno bout holes, i just enjoyed myself, i tend to
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:32 pm Reply with quote
So, is this movie worth seeing? I mean, I haven't seen the TV series at all, and I'd know that they probably cut out some content for the movie remake, but is it understandable, or does it just jump around all over the place, making sense only if you've seen the series?
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first couple eps of the "Americanized" TV series when it originally started airing on Fox Kids way back in the day and thought it was cool as heck. I only just saw a small chunk, though, and didn't really think about it as Anime being butchered as much as it being cool. Although it was the beginning of the US airing, its event took place a few eps into the original Japanese show.
After this small taste, I got a fansub of the movie and absolutely loved it. It had some very cool action scenes and a great story line, plus one of the best movie soundtracks I had ever heard.
Finally I tried to watch the actual Japanese version of the TV show and couldn't even get past the first few episodes. From both the US version of the TV series and the Movie, it seemed as though this was a story about spoiler[the valiant hero Van and his struggles]. But the feel of the show is that it's much more spoiler[Kanzaki's story]. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing - I usually love spoiler[that teen angsty crap]. But for some reason, I just couldn't take it. It was so boring spoiler[and Kanzaki so annoying] that I just put it away. I've tried to pick it up again from the beginning, but never gotten past the first disc.
So, there's my take. I dug the movie, but not the show. Likewise, I'd figure a fan of the show probably won't care for the movie so much.
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
So, is this movie worth seeing? I mean, I haven't seen the TV series at all.
Neither had I when I saw the movie, and I thought it made sense. It's not bad at all, and the music is really nice. At 12:00 midnight, I'd just stare at the pictures if you really can't take it.
Bruce Lee wrote:
I saw the first couple eps of the "Americanized" TV series when it originally started airing on Fox Kids way back in the day and thought it was cool as heck.
It aired on U.S. TV? I'm really oblivious to things.
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
So, is this movie worth seeing? I mean, I haven't seen the TV series at all, and I'd know that they probably cut out some content for the movie remake

The movie is not a remake - it doesn't have too much in common with the series, except for the characters' names (even the character designs are different), so you don't have to see the series to understand the movie. In fact, if you're interested in the movie and the series (which, in my opinion, is one of the best anime ever made), I think you'd be better off seeing the movie first and watching the series later. I think the movie is a total disaster as an Escaflowne movie, but otherwise it's an okay fantasy flick.
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I suggest watching the tv series first(if possible) because fans and other viewers would better understand the characters and plot and whatnot. Also the movie is set in alternative universe unlike the tv series. For example Emperor Dornkirk doesn't even exist in the movie but he does in the tv series. Not only though that the characters design and even there personalities are completely different than the tv series and other subtle diffierences so keep that in mind when watching the movie. I'm glad the movie will be on CN, now if only they could air the tv series of Vison of Escaflowne on either Toonami or Adultswim Smile.
Even though I own the complete series of Escaflowne and I've seen most of Naruto(up to episode 145), I will probably watch these on September.

Last edited by Inu-Yasha on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
RyoShin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne is one of my top five Animes. I own both the series and the movie. The series is much better than the Movie, but the movie has some fantastic art.

I probably won't be watching it myself (due to owning the afforementioned series), but I would encourage everyone to watch/tape it. Hopefully, the movie will get enough viewers that CN will try to get the rights to the series, which desperatly needs a main stream TV release. (No, Fox Kids DOES NOT count...)

Unfortunatly, the VA on the series isn't that great in the beginning, but gets better as the series goes on. The VA on the movie was fairly good. Not Cowboy Bebop quality, but good none-the-less.

All of this is MHO, of course.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RezSav

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow... Been a long time since I posted but wanted to see if my N/P still worked. But yeah isn't it going to be on Adult Swim, not CN?
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit too. I've only seen about 13 eps. of the TV series though. I'm hoping either the series gets a "Anime Legends" release sometime soon, or it becomes available on Adult Swim so I can finish the remainder.

But yeah, I'll be glued to the TV when Naruto and the Escaflowne (movie) come on. Smile
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:07 pm Reply with quote
For those of you who live in Canada or are going to Canada keep this in mind: Naruto will air on YTV on Sept. 9th, 2005 9:30PM instead of Sept. 10th. I don't know if Escaflowne will air in Canada or not. Source: according to Shonen Jump. Also check on your local time zones so you don't miss it as well Smile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Back when the series aired on Fox Kids, even if it was edited, it was pretty amazing to see a show of its sort as a Saturday morning cartoon. It didn't last very long (although it didn't help that the Fox Kids block as a whole was starting to die at that point), but it was awesome while it did. Worth noting, Fox Kids picked up Escaflowne not long after Sean Akins (Toonami's main dude) voiced interest in it.

As for whether it has a chance of coming to Toonami now that the broadcast rights are (apparently) back up in the air, it's mentioned in an interview with Sean Akins from earlier this year (fourth question down on that page). From the looks of it, his response basically amounts to "not impossible, but not likely".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2