• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
San Diego Comic-Con International 2005

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
These guys & Viz actually asked fans to discontinue downloading (I believe these guys [the VP-Ken]referred to it as "illegal downloading)--that their company has tracked various retail outlet such as Best Buy & received comments of overheard comments along the lines of customers saying why buy the dvd for $25 when they've already downloaded it.
Yeah, it's not going to change anything, but I remember the last debate on this forum I was involved in where people put out the line they'd stop when asked--well, now they've been asked to stop. The face of the game has changed--some of these American licensees are basically the American outlet of the Japanese parent company so it's very possible many of these titles being fansubbed are in the works of being released here, just not announced yet.
The Viz panel was more interesting on this point as it came out of an InuYasha fangirl stating she'd downloaded the movie, why was it taking so long for them to get released here?(the entire panel gasped & then asked we respect their Japanese parent company & not download)--the answer for the length of time is the parent company doesn't want the product released to America to interfere with a viable Japanese title since that is still their primary market(so if we got these titles quicker conceivable Japanese fans could buy our dvds & not the Japanese? All I could guess out of that comment) plus the InuYasha movies need to come out at certain points of the series.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

The Viz panel was more interesting on this point as it came out of an InuYasha fangirl stating she'd downloaded the movie, why was it taking so long for them to get released here?(the entire panel gasped & then asked we respect their Japanese parent company & not download)--the answer for the length of time is the parent company doesn't want the product released to America to interfere with a viable Japanese title since that is still their primary market(so if we got these titles quicker conceivable Japanese fans could buy our dvds & not the Japanese? All I could guess out of that comment) plus the InuYasha movies need to come out at certain points of the series.

Very true. We cry and moan about paying $30 a DVD, but the Japanese are paying upwards of $50. FLCL was $50 for 1 episode on a DVD when it was being released, for instance. Why buy the Japanese release when they can import something with a higher episode count that is cheaper? Of course, this probably wouldn't be for everyone, much like importing is here, but it has a negative effect on the company if it does happen, unlike the reverse.

Of course, who knows the downloading/bootlegging practices of the Japanese. I sure don't.
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Gee, and I was wondering if those people at VIZ were asleep or something all day, as I frequently see liscenced manga able to be downloaded. This was all a few months ago, when I was looking for some info on anime. (which lead me to ANN ^^)

As for .Hack//GU, what does GU stand for? I checked the encyclopedia...
Raoh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
As for .Hack//GU, what does GU stand for? I checked the encyclopedia...

I figured it was probably related to GUI or something.

I'm pretty sure the new .hack project is .hack//FRAGMENT, which is supposed to be a new .hack MMORPG thats being launched. I've heard Bandai is handling the English release. Its supposed to be released on both PC and PS2, and will not require the PS2 Hard drive to play.

Thats just my speculation though, as I heard earlier this month that it was announced in Japan recently. This could be the first mentionings of its American release.

However, the artcle states its an Anime project. As far as I know they said the Anime was done.

The only new .hack project I know of is Fragment.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:

Very true. We cry and moan about paying $30 a DVD, but the Japanese are paying upwards of $50. FLCL was $50 for 1 episode on a DVD when it was being released, for instance. Why buy the Japanese release when they can import something with a higher episode count that is cheaper? Of course, this probably wouldn't be for everyone, much like importing is here, but it has a negative effect on the company if it does happen, unlike the reverse.

Of course, who knows the downloading/bootlegging practices of the Japanese. I sure don't.

Thing is though, FLCL is a made-for-video animation. the rules on which it was priced as opposed to TV series are different because the nature of it's release is different (regarding which, the FLCL release was actually closer to $30 an episode, and came out several years before the US one).

Oh, I don't know.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
FLCL is currently priced around 4995 yen now at most sites I look, and was more expensive when it came out.

And TV series aren't much better... very poor episode count:cost ratio.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
[quote=".Sy"]Gee, and I was wondering if those people at VIZ were asleep or something all day, as I frequently see liscenced manga able to be downloaded. This was all a few months ago, when I was looking for some info on anime. (which lead me to ANN ^^)

There was no mention of manga downloading.

That was the movie the girl blythly commented on downloading which produced the reaction. A movie not even made prior to InuYasha being licensed & thus well outside the grey area of not downloading licensed titles. The InuYasha Movies 3 & 4 should both be unavailable for downloading by all the official fansub rules of not offering licensed titles which would probably be why the panel's reaction was so pronounced.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:38 am Reply with quote
There's something called "reverse import." Take AIR TV as an example: Both the Limited Edition (¥5980, US$53.78) and the regular edition (¥5250, US$47.21) of R2 DVD volume 1 (with episodes 1 & 2) were released 2005-04-06. However, IIRC the R2 release has some color matching problems, which has become more severe in volume 3. Many fans were very disappointed.

The good news is, today Proware Multimedia has announced that the volume 1 of R3 release will be shipped on 2005-08-23 at the list price of NT$575 (US$18.23) and the promotional pre-order price of NT$485 (US$15.38). I've heard, although not personally, that there are Japanese fans asking for this release, which may have corrected the video problem. With only 1/3 of the original price, it's a great deal even if you add up shipping and taxes, which will in turn hurt the Japanese retail market. That's why the Japanese companies don't want the overseas edition to be released too soon.

BTW, it feels soooo good to pre-order AIR's DVD....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, on the topic of IGPX, the official website has an update; the promo trailer is now available in which you can find here:

http://www.igpx.jp/igpx_pv.asx

Man, I definetely can't wait to check it out on Cartoon Network! Razz
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
You sure Death Note isn't scheduled for October 2005? Also, if you're at Otakon, ask Viz what's going on with the live-action Sanctuary and their anime back-catalogue.
Bell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In fact, while almost everyone was dressed in casual attire, there were even cosplayers roaming around—something you’d never see at an indoor orchestra concert.

Actually, I did see a couple cosplayers at the indoor Dear Friends concert in Chicago.
Trunks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:37 am Reply with quote
Bell wrote:
Quote:
In fact, while almost everyone was dressed in casual attire, there were even cosplayers roaming around—something you’d never see at an indoor orchestra concert.

Actually, I did see a couple cosplayers at the indoor Dear Friends concert in Chicago.

There were a couple at the San Francisco concert as well.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote
Trunks wrote:
Bell wrote:
Quote:

There were a couple at the San Francisco concert as well.

;__; With gunblades?
Animedude35

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote
Same with the July 1st indoor concert in Ft. Worth, Texas......

You would think for people to come to an orchestra concert in at least some formal wear, but about 1/3 of the people who went were wearing casual t-shirts and jeans and a few cosplayers. I thought it was disrespectful of them to do that while the majority of the people dressed nicely for this event.

At the concert I went to, I saw a Tifa cosplayer and those catgirls from FFXI (I forgot what that race was called) Anime hyper

Last edited by Animedude35 on Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Bell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
Nope, with a Masamune. Anime smile;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2