• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite Japanese bands and why? (any genre)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tamatheturtle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:12 am Reply with quote
L'Arc~en~Ciel/HYDE/VAMPS/Ken/TETSUYA
because they are just amazing. their music is so unique and i have loved them ever since 2005~ the first song i heard was Driver's High & i didn't really know them until Ready Steady Go! & i remembered i heard something about HYDE & Gackt! haha i knew Gackt before them~& i LOVE HYDE solo too!! i love all their solos..i just love them all..(sorry yuki i dont like Acid Android really...not my type of music..)
&
TVXQ/Dong Bang Shin Ki & HoMin & JYJ
i loved them since their debut & i still love all 5. whether together or not. ill Always Keep the Faith.
Their music is so cute & heartwarming~their voices are AMAZING!!
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, so I apologize if I have, but I really like The Oystars; they have this punk sound occasionally, but it's mixed with a cool almost surf rock vibe. I really liked the theme Nanka Shiawase from the Flame of Recca.
suicideshorty74

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
I just started to get into abingdon boys school recently. I have to say they kind of remind me of Three Days Grace, especially their song Fre@k $HoW. I originally heard them because of HOWLING, the theme from Darker Than Black, which I think is also an awesome song.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, they did an ending theme for Soul Eater, which to me almost reminded me of Iron Maiden's sound. Was that Abingdon boys school?
suicideshorty74

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
If I remember correctly, they did an ending theme for Soul Eater, which to me almost reminded me of Iron Maiden's sound. Was that Abingdon boys school?

I actually haven't seen Soul Eater yet, but, according to the encyclopedia, they did. The song is called STRENGTH.
maka.albarn13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
suicideshorty74 wrote:
I actually haven't seen Soul Eater yet, but, according to the encyclopedia, they did. The song is called STRENGTH.

STRENGTH by Abingdon Boys School is an amazing song. It's very powerful and full of passion, especially the chorus. If you haven't seen Soul Eater, you should at least listen to this song on Youtube.

The band's lead singer, Takanori Nishikawa, also performs as "T.M. Revolution". He did a Soul Eater opening song too, called "Resonance", under this name. It is also a good song, though I would characterize this one as a bit darker than STRENGTH. Actually, they're both pretty dark.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from Soul Eater music: I'm kind of an orch dork, so I also love orchestral music by artists like Joe Hisaishi. He composed a lot of music for the Miyazaki films. I find his songs very moving and beautiful. <3
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:19 am Reply with quote
[quote="maka.albarn13"]
suicideshorty74 wrote:

STRENGTH by Abingdon Boys School is an amazing song. It's very powerful and full of passion, especially the chorus. If you haven't seen Soul Eater, you should at least listen to this song on Youtube.

The band's lead singer, Takanori Nishikawa, also performs as "T.M. Revolution".

Aside from Soul Eater music: I'm kind of an orch dork, so I also love orchestral music by artists like Joe Hisaishi. He composed a lot of music for the Miyazaki films. I find his songs very moving and beautiful. <3

Thanks for the tip on the Youtube clip. I saw T.M.Revolution at Animelo Summer Live 2011 and they were certainly impressive.

Likewise I like orchestral music. Besides Hisaishi's music, the OST to Ghibli's The Cat Returns and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya are very good, and also check out Toshihiko Sahashi for his orchestral compositions e.g. the sadly out-of-print Simoun OST.
maka.albarn13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Likewise I like orchestral music. Besides Hisaishi's music, the OST to Ghibli's The Cat Returns and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya are very good, and also check out Toshihiko Sahashi for his orchestral compositions e.g. the sadly out-of-print Simoun OST.

I just listened to this song from The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACsrDhqNg80. It's absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the recommendations C:
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
maka.albarn13 wrote:

I just listened to this song from The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACsrDhqNg80. It's absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the recommendations C:

No problem... I wish that there was a release of the vocal-only version of the closing theme to the movie.

AFAIK the single release http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=LASM-4049 includes accompaniment.
Horde99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Perfume is my go-to band when I'm in a down mood. They're techno-pop but it's sickly sweet.
rina-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:17 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Put reasons. -TK]
Deathgaze_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Put reasons, please. -TK]
Sora000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Rin toshite shigure probably my favourite band right now, consiting of guitarist, bassist and drummer. thier genre is pretty unique and hard to classify, i'd say they are a mix of indie rock, alternative rock, post rock, post hardcore, progressive rock.

Well, i like them because thier super high pitched singing and screaming that alternate between male and female, should be compleletly horrible, but is actualy catchy not unlike a pop song. Thier fast paced songs build up briliantly with the highly techical instruments, and explodes with energy at the chorus. Thier more quite songs fill up around you, and make every guitar riff, and every drum beat feel emotional.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
maka.albarn13 wrote:

No problem... I wish that there was a release of the vocal-only version of the closing theme to the movie.

AFAIK the single release http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=LASM-4049 includes accompaniment.

It turns out that the CD Japan listing is wrong and the Wikipedia listing is right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasashii_Bōkyaku

There are four versions of the song on the CD single:

vocal, piano, strings and percussion;
acapella (as appearing at the end of the movie);
vocal, piano and strings;
piano and strings only.
DjevojkaToni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
So here my favorite bands:

Dir en grey - I love this band since 2006 after my first concerts in Germany. The music is not for everybodies taste but I'm impressed from my first live of them but the music and kyo's lyrics touch my heart.

One Ok Rock - I like their sound very much and Taka's voice. A good contrast to Dir en grey ... hope to see them live soon

Girugamesh - a good sound and a good singer. But I need to say I like their old stuff more than their current sound. the current sound is too much pop. The sound 2007/2008 the best time of them Smile

Nico touches the Walls - they attract my attention by the Naruto Shippuden. DIVER and BROKEN YOUTH, the best songs of them Smile

Asian Kung-Fu Generation a good band with an interesting sound, too Smile

and many, many more Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4