• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Reports 368-Million-Yen Revenue in 2012 Fiscal Year's 1st Half

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Gonzo makes no good anime this year. losing money is just normal.
TD912

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to make money producing anime when you have little money to start making anime with. It's like a Catch 22 situation for Gonzo right now.

Gonzo is certainly trying to take steps to recover, as they are making lots low-budget anime shorts like Nyanpire, Copihan, and that promo video for Chunsoft.

Gonzo must be taking a relatively big risk with the new Last Exile series, especially if if this article is to be believed. If a high-budget two-cours, 26-episode anime series costs 300 million yen, and Gonzo could only afford less than 125 million on the new Last Exile, they must have produced it on a shoestring budget. It could also be why the new series is only 21 episodes long. It starts to become noticeable in some scenes, but Gonzo has done a decent job of maintaining animation quality so far.

If Gonzo fully recovers, we might actually see some darn good anime series being produced by them in the future.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
It's amazing how relatively small business the typical anime studios are.................
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote
The question is, how well is Ginyoku no Fam doing in Japan?
CKSqua

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
Gonzo must be taking a relatively big risk with the new Last Exile series, especially if if this article is to be believed. If a high-budget two-cours, 26-episode anime series costs 300 million yen, and Gonzo could only afford less than 125 million on the new Last Exile, they must have produced it on a shoestring budget. It could also be why the new series is only 21 episodes long. It starts to become noticeable in some scenes, but Gonzo has done a decent job of maintaining animation quality so far.

Anime is usually financed through partnerships, so the 300 million yen cost is actually covered by more than one company.

Also, the 125 million yen figure only applies to the first half of the fiscal year, meaning that spending may well have increased this fall.

Quote:
If Gonzo fully recovers, we might actually see some darn good anime series being produced by them in the future.

Gonzo owns a significant stake in the production, so their money is on the line (going back to the Toaru Majutsu no Index example, the production studio shouldered much less risk on a probable winner).

It's a double edged sword. If Last Exile succeeds, they make money and gain some trust in the process. If it flops, they may be back to square one, depending on how much money they actually have.

Quote:
The question is, how well is Ginyoku no Fam doing in Japan?

Blu-Rays aren't out yet, but from what I understand, pre-order data doesn't look too hot.

It won't be a dismal failure (i.e. < 2000 copies sold), but it certainly isn't looking to be a success either.
Xenosnake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote
Vandread: The Third Stage. Make it happen.
TD912

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:46 am Reply with quote
CKSqua wrote:
Anime is usually financed through partnerships, so the 300 million yen cost is actually covered by more than one company.

Also, the 125 million yen figure only applies to the first half of the fiscal year, meaning that spending may well have increased this fall.

Ahh, true. Didn't think of that. Although I'm not sure how much more money they could have spent on the series before it aired a month later. Unless they continued to work on the series as it aired...?

CKSqua wrote:

Gonzo owns a significant stake in the production, so their money is on the line (going back to the Toaru Majutsu no Index example, the production studio shouldered much less risk on a probable winner).

It's a double edged sword. If Last Exile succeeds, they make money and gain some trust in the process. If it flops, they may be back to square one, depending on how much money they actually have.

Yeah, I kind of figured that they were taking a risk because this is a completely original production, and not based off some existing manga or novel. Gonzo would be funding the bulk of production themselves and not get much help from outside companies.

Well, I guess we'll see in a few months when the BD/DVD sales numbers are in. Although Gonzo was trying to advertise heavily in other countries too, as they previewed it at Anime Expo as well as places in Europe and Australia, and are even simulcasting on TV networks outside of Japan in Asia.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:56 am Reply with quote
Gonzo has been my favorite studio so this sucks Sad I want them to succeed. again.
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:30 am Reply with quote
Dakaran wrote:
Gonzo has been my favorite studio so this sucks Sad I want them to succeed. again.

Yea the adaptions for Count of Monte Cristo and Romeo and Juliet are very good. I wasn't expecting much before watching them and I was surprise they did a really good job on it...... wish more people watch it.
Zepwich

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
I hope this means we will eventually get the Five Killers....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5jpA_yRuHo
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
I am pretty sure the new Saki show is going to be a success. I am a fairly big fan of it, and I think many people started playing mahjong because of it too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1