• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fafner DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
I've seen this volume & I liked it. Perhaps it is BECAUSE it copies Eva & Rahxephon. I've also heard from another forum that at some point, new writers are brought in and the story gets a lot better. I'm in it for the long haul.

There is one thing about the review that puzzles me. The reviewer describes the english dub as a "terrific dub". However, he scores it a B minus. I dunno, after reading the description "terrific", I was expecting a better grade.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:12 am Reply with quote
Ok who missed that Evangelion typo?
Kuroro IX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quote
The first five or six episodes are by far the worst part of the show. It gets much, much better from there on out... so anyone who found volume 1 to be mildly interesting or at least tolerable should almost certainly stick with Fafner. It doesn't do much to distinguish itself at first, but by the middle & end its themes (complementary to yet different from those of Rah & Eva) are beautifully articulated.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ah, to live in the shadow of Evangephon. Or is it RahXelion?

This "typo" isn't accidental, it was on purpose.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, as I said in the last time Fafner was brought up for review: the story workings for the first 7 episodes SUCK, but they change writers at that point, and things get INFINITELY better and it stops looking like an Eva & RahX clone and becomes it's own thing, and it is indeed excellent (Oh, and btw, Kazuki's "freedom"Laughing is called the spoiler[Mark Sein]). NOt just the usual dosage of nordic material here, folks. In fact, as you go into the series, it helps to know a bit of german because then the names of some of the Fafners (and also WHICH fafner is which, since the numbered ones are in german numbers: eins, zwei, drei, vier, funf, sechs, seiben, usw [und so weiter]) helps greatly, as knowing the german will make the impact of fafners called:

spoiler[Mark Nichts und Mark Sein]

help the viewer understand what kind of role those fafners play in the story and plot.

Definitely alot of actual depth here, folks. Just not in the very beginning. However, the change in writers in a volume or two makes sticking with this series very much worth it.[/spoiler]
Fallcon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
"terrific dub"

I know this is kinda late, but in the review it said somthing like that the voice acting was good, but not new, or unseen. So i think the level of a higher level of voice acting must be somthing higher then thought possiable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1