• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anti-Korean Manga Causes Controversy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JiJi McPaws

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:46 am Reply with quote
That's so odd. I thought they and Japan were on good terms. The number of Korean TV dramas and manga seem to have a big Japanese influence. Oh well, I still like my Ragnarok.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:47 am Reply with quote
JiJi McPaws wrote:
That's so odd. I thought they and Japan were on good terms. The number of Korean TV dramas and manga seem to have a big Japanese influence. Oh well, I still like my Ragnarok.

Jeez....who to pick? The U.S. is on great terms with both countries. Especially Japan, just because, and deffinitly S.K. because North Korea sucks so much.... Eesh....hate to see something like this happen Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LilyChan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:02 am Reply with quote
And watch the United States try to play peacemaker if there are more Anti-Korea sentiments.

Keyword: Try

._.
Geoffrey No Jutsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:02 am Reply with quote
why pick sides at all? its a situation with multiple generations of festering hatred. you guys and girls might benefit from checking into some REAL asian culture, outside of the comics and animation. god i hope the U.S. keeps their nose outta this one. i am getting chills just contemplating outcomes.
poiznelf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote
There has been a lot of animosity between Japan and Korea for a long time. Only recently has there been a start of better relations between the two, joint anime productions, etc. I remember the big controversy a few years back when Studio Ghibli decided to use Korean production companies for help with Spirited Away. Here is some more information about it.

http://www.time.com/time/asia/news/printout/0,9788,100070,00.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0931209889/qid%3D1124198956/sr%3D8-5/002-1446560-4777662
Otaprince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:19 am Reply with quote
I wish stuff like this would get translated, just so we could see what all the hubbub is about.

Last edited by Otaprince on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:21 am Reply with quote
I am a little concerned about Japans recent hard line stance against its Asian neighbors. I guess the whole we did not do anything to anybody during WW2 attitude is wearing thin on me. The only focus that SOME in the Japanese entertainment industry have is what happened to them, which some bad things did happen to Japan. But come on, it's not like they were just minding their own business and suddenly the world attacked them.
bluechibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
heh the World Cup of Soccer, that just sounds odd Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:23 pm Reply with quote
So I take it the manga's the Japanese answer to the Protocols of the Elders of Zion...?
animaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Yes its a historical problem and it is between the two of them and not the US we should indeed stay out of the matter and besides I appreciate both countries I have friends from both and enjoy both cultures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vekou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
JiJi McPaws wrote:
That's so odd. I thought they and Japan were on good terms.

I wish I could laugh at this, but the reality of the situation is really not that funny... Sad
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
07241988 wrote:
I am a little concerned about Japans recent hard line stance against its Asian neighbors. I guess the whole we did not do anything to anybody during WW2 attitude is wearing thin on me. The only focus that SOME in the Japanese entertainment industry have is what happened to them, which some bad things did happen to Japan. But come on, it's not like they were just minding their own business and suddenly the world attacked them.

recent? this has been going on since Nanking. i blame Shintaro Ishihara the guy's an ass. besides calling the Koreans animals he constantly refers to Chinese as "Sangokuchi", which is basically the chinese equivalent of the "N" word.
he's also known for saying other colorful things such as calling french a failed language and saying older women should be put down.
jhanime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
What I'm worried about the most is that some ignorant readers will accept what is in the manga as the truth and start hating South Korea. I think that's as bad as some saying "Oh I just love anything from Japan(or any other country)."
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
bluechibi wrote:
heh the World Cup of Soccer, that just sounds odd Laughing

Well, there are a few other world cups (skiing and horse racing are the ones I'm aware of), I thought it best to specify, even though 99% of people immediately associate "World Cup" with soccer.

"World Series" of baseball is the one I find odd. It's essentially a 1-country "world" series (with a smattering of teams from a second country).

-t
krispydigital

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
wow, i guess the japanese have anti-korean sentiments too. i thought it was just the other way around... ever heard of the germans hating the jews ever since ww2? anyway, im korean bleh just to clear that out of the way. its kinda wierd since i dun know why japan would dislike korea. I mean, it was them who raped our women and took our land, they should be like whee that was fun. not like "omg i hate them." But this may be because of how much korea has caught up to japan. Samsung is rivaling sony, our dramas are getting the spotlight in japan, etc.

But thats so dinky compared to korean hatred for japan. I mean, its not big of a deal to the younger generations, but for the older ones (the current politicians) they hate japan. They're like Wtf.. they're trying to take our land again (dokkdo), wtf they're trying to lessen the damage they did in their textbooks ( imagine germany = we didn't mass kill/rape everyone, it was self defense. and it wasn't that many people! everyone else is exaggerating!). They remember the brutality and the mess the japanese left. And even then, the terms were getting better, but nooo, japan has to take up its "nationalism" again (read this in la times about why this is the cause of the recent events it triggered). now they both hate each other

and as an anime fan it pisses me off. WTF i hate u stupid old people. DIE~!

but then when i think about it, do the japanese younger generation hate korea? think... the older japanese prob wouldn't hate us, because they were the invaders. but the younger ones.... its like wtf korea has influence over our media? wtf they're complaining about us being patriots? lets make manga to show them what WE think!!

sigh... it sucks being korean. I wish i was canadian... or swiss
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2