• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Noir (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I like gunfights. If you want to see gunfights, watch Gungrave or Hellsing. The gunfights in Noir were among the most bland and generic I have ever seen in an anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anime_Fever

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I have a question. I just bought this anime, it turns out it's a booty, (I think) grr. It says tv version (or something like that).

I was wondering, is there anything that I would miss in my booty that is on the original. Stuff that was edited out... That is, if anything was edited out of course. Since it's the tv version I thought there would be cuts. But I hope not.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:11 am Reply with quote
I don't know where it would have aired on television, unless it's talking about The Anime Network which I don't get and wouldn't know about. Although I don't think TAN has to edit their content being VOD. The real set contains seven discs in thinpack form or someone could have put togather all seven volumes in the artbox that comes with volume 1 like I did. Either way if it doesn't have 7 it's a booted copy.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:57 am Reply with quote
Baka... wrote:
Just a quick question. I bought the whole noir series before viewing any episodes.. I've watched up to aroudn the 3rd dvd.. and its just boring beyond belief. Could someone tell me when... and if this series gets good?

Why would you buy an ENTIRE series before even seeing any of it?

Anime_Fever wrote:
I have a question. I just bought this anime, it turns out it's a booty, (I think) grr. It says tv version (or something like that).

I was wondering, is there anything that I would miss in my booty that is on the original. Stuff that was edited out... That is, if anything was edited out of course. Since it's the tv version I thought there would be cuts. But I hope not.

Why would it be edited? It's not that violent. There's not even blood. Why would they edit it? Confused
guildmaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:55 am Reply with quote
Well I liked it. A Lot, mostly because it didn't attempt any comedic relief. The music is Great, I even bought the 3 soundtrack CDs, and put Disc #1 on two of the cars' HDDs.

And,,, after looking for TEN years, I Finally got the pocket watch. That watch is basically NOT available outside of Japan.

Last edited by guildmaster on Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I decided to turn this into the main discussion thread for the series.

Looking back on it, now, my sensibilities for media have changed so much in the last 20-something years, I'm wondering if I'd like the show a lot more, today, versus back then. I currently have this rated So-so (5/10), right now, which I think is pretty low, even for this

I distinctly remember two things about this show, though: Yuuki Kajiura's wonderful score and the terrible aliasing from the U.S. DVDs. I wonder if I can find better-sourced raws or decent upscales somewhere. At any rate, thanks for the bump. I am, now, thoroughly curious to re-watch this, some time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I watched Noir not long after getting into anime back in 2009 and remember basically liking it. I had to look it up, but I rated it Good. I think I found it a little slow, however. In any case, I'm like Tony K., I'd be curious to do a rewatch at some point. I almost certainly watched the dub (as I tended to do back in those days) so I'd definitely be checking out the subbed version this time.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:44 am Reply with quote
I really liked it more than 15 years ago, but since then the pace in most series and movies has changed and Noir is significantly slower than most series today.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:53 am Reply with quote
Noir dates from a time when the standard length of a show was 24 to 26 episodes. Now it is 12 to 13 episodes. With double the length it had time to develop the characters and have some episodes that were not part of the main thread. Some of those episodes were outstanding. I still remember the one set in Russia. Even though the show was a bit slower by current standards, I don't remember it dragging. If I hadn't been invested in the characters I probably would not have finished it. I rated it excellent and still do.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:11 am Reply with quote
Noir would have made a great 90 minute, two hour movie. Yes, it has a great score and those last few episodes are fantastic.

Here's the biggest problem: Noir is an anime original but no one thought to have things happen to characters in the middle of the series. It's a problem that Beetrain fixed for its next series Madlax but you can skip most of Noir because it's made to be skippable.

Great score, you can probably skip the series.

"Why would you buy an entire series before watching it?!"
A twenty year old comment that makes me both amused and sad. We've come a long way but we've lost so much getting there.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:27 am Reply with quote
Noir has the BEST musical score of any anime.

I can't stand most anime intros or endings. School rumble ending is an exception, as is the final eps ending of JoJo battle tendencies (end of Egypt arc), and a few others, but I just cannot stand the whining crybaby voices on so many of them. That's why I watch on DVDs or BDs most of the time so I can skip it.

But Noir, I have a copy of the #1 CD in a boom box in the garage so when I'm working on or washing the Cadillacs or doing yard work, I can blast it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3