• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Nisemonogatari Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
But what about those who haven't seen Bakemonogatari?
(It's the same thing I wondered about when they announced Prince of Tennis II)

Zhou-BR wrote:
It will be interesting to see how they'll handle the on-screen text. With Bakemonogatari, many subbers had to resort to overlays.

CR uses softsubs and I've seen them use different styles and positions to match the signs. I don't know if their player can do various orientations, transforms and animation (e.g. to match panning).

Whatever is done will be lost for the DVD/BDs though, unless they hardsub it, which I wouldn't want.

Oh yeah, why is this thread located in the UK section?
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
But what about those who haven't seen Bakemonogatari?
(It's the same thing I wondered about when they announced Prince of Tennis II)
PoT should be easy to pick up. Nisemono...probably not so much.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
hopefully it wont be as overrated as bakemono was/is

If it's anywhere near as awesome as Bakemonogatari I'll be a very happy camper. If that means you think it's overrated that's your problem not mine.
I implore everyone who actually wants this released to watch the Crunchyroll stream rather than a fansub, if Oreimo is anything to go by Aniplex take their streaming numbers very seriously.

Bakemonogatari is hard for western viewers. You have to be very Asian to understand it and some of the myth.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Very surprised to see this, given SHAFT's history in regards to streaming.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Although I haven't seen one episode of Bakemonogatari I'm looking forward to this.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

If it's anywhere near as awesome as Bakemonogatari I'll be a very happy camper. If that means you think it's overrated that's your problem not mine.
I implore everyone who actually wants this released to watch the Crunchyroll stream rather than a fansub, if Oreimo is anything to go by Aniplex take their streaming numbers very seriously.

Bakemonogatari is hard for western viewers. You have to be very Asian to understand it and some of the myth.

I can see why some of the mythos behind the story isn't obvious to western viewers, but that hardly means it's a hard show to watch. Bakemonogatari easily survives on it's entertaining characters and interesting events.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I can see why some of the mythos behind the story isn't obvious to western viewers, but that hardly means it's a hard show to watch. Bakemonogatari easily survives on it's entertaining characters and interesting events.

It was a hard show to watch because that kind of style of writing is a turn off for alot of people. I bet people will understand ep 1 more once they finish all 15eps, then rewatch ep 1 again.
XXghostface

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Happy news for me. I hope this have a chance of getting release on dvd or blu ray.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
I'm glad I get to watch this legally. Hopefully this also means an official release for "Bakemonogatari" is coming soon (and hopefully for less than $200).
Quote:
As for the Aniplex US rumor, if it's another typical import, then no thanks

I doubt it. Those hideously expensive "Kara no Kyoukai" and "Fate/Zero" sets were both announced a few months in advance with a more-or-less simultaneous release with the Japanese version; the Japanese Blu-ray set for "Bakemonogatari" came out a few weeks ago, and still no official announcement of a US version, so it might not be as expensive.

I'd say an Aniplex USA license is legit. As for the mega-expensive import releases they've done, keep in mind that both Kara no Kyoukai and Fate/Zero are TYPE-MOON titles, and those tend to go for higher premiums than most others. They are more of the exception than the norm.

Alright, AoA, how about coaxing Kodansha for a Bakemonogatari release and stream, now? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

I'd say an Aniplex USA license is legit. As for the mega-expensive import releases they've done, keep in mind that both Kara no Kyoukai and Fate/Zero are TYPE-MOON titles, and those tend to go for higher premiums than most others. They are more of the exception than the norm.

Alright, AoA, how about coaxing Kodansha for a Bakemonogatari release and stream, now? Wink

Yeah exactly.. especially with the disconnect between what viewers are supposed to know and how they're supposed to know it in Aniplex's own synopsis:
Quote:
“In Bakemonogatari, the story centers on Koyomi Araragi, a third year high school student who has recently survived a vampire attack, and finds himself mixed up with all kinds of apparitions: gods, ghosts, myths, and spirits. However, in Nisemonogatari, we pick up right where we left off and follow Koyomi as the psychological twists delve deeper and deeper…”

unless of course it's an implicit acknowledgement of US fans of Bakemonogatari who've seen it.. somehow *wink*

As far as pricing goes it could be anywhere. I don't think it necessarily has to due with Type Moon. The Kenshin OVAs and Movie are Japanese priced too; the others are about 1/2 to 1/3 as much as Japanese, and Star Driver BD coming from below at $60

I suspect if it's right next to the JP release, it may be priced the same. If it's a few months out from the last volume on BD in Japan, it could be somewhere in the middle.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

It was a hard show to watch because that kind of style of writing is a turn off for alot of people. I bet people will understand ep 1 more once they finish all 15eps, then rewatch ep 1 again.

You see, just because you found it a hard show to watch doesn't mean that's the general consensus. The quirky style is one of the reasons I(and it seems a lot of other people) adore it.
XXghostface

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Someone please knock on anipex door argue them to licensed bakemonogatari.
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
I am actually REALLY disappointed by this. Most of the time I am perfectly fine with localization and liberal translations that come out of CR and NicoNico but this will be the one time where I am completely against those kinds of translations. *monogatari is not something that can be translated well by professionals and really needed the fansub treatment. 2 of the best fan subbers were going to work on this and 1 has already confirmed he is dropping it unless the subs are complete fail to the series. I am watching this with a HUGE magnifying glass and I am going to extremely pushy with my expectations with this because this series means a lot to me and I really hope CR doesn't stuff this up. I want them to succeed but my standards are high
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
J3N0V4 wrote:
*monogatari is not something that can be translated well by professionals and really needed the fansub treatment.

Seriously .. this must be one of the lamest statements I've seen for a while! Where on earth do you think these 'professionals' got their experience subbing? CrunchyRoll has certainly employed previous fansubbers in the past.
kufirst

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
Totally surprised and excited.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3