• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ken Iyadomi on Bandai's Downsizing

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Veers wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Plus, then there's also again, piracy. Many have moved away from discs and gone onto having 1TB HDD's of anime. There are even people who laugh at people who buy anime, I've had this happen.
Actually mine's 2TB, but I don't laugh at people who buy anime because I am one.
And I've met yet another person who may pirate, but also actually goes back and buys much of this stuff.Smile

As much as I frown upon piracy, I'm all for checking out a show (especially unlicensed ones) and if you like it, you buy it. Not everything has a stream. That's what I do. I also have a 2 TB HDD with a large portion of anime, HOWEVER, it's all anime that you'll never see come out as boxsets. Subbed Pokemon, anyone? Or other stuff like Sailor Moon Sailor Stars. If any of these get licensed though (like Tales of Vesperia did), I delete and wait to buy. Besides, it saves HDD space! Shelf space on the other hand...
Zhane Masaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
*forums shake as a Force Yell builds up*

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

*Darth Vader is currently preparing a lawsuit*
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Two points:
1) I keep seeing people saying that Bandai would rather pack up or switch to a premium only model than "grow" the market. I understand the sentiment but I don't understand what it's based off of. I'm assuming that you all are looking sales figures where US anime companies are making more money than ever because they're practicing this lower price to grow the market model. Is "growing" the market with people who don't buy anime or only buy SAVE priced sets really worth it?

2) If the US market did move to premium only, it's not all a loss. Not every JP anime release is in the $40+ an episode range. Basically every blu-ray single is and BD boxsets usually start around $230 but you can find some series on DVD at a price point similar to what Americans are used to paying. There are budget tiers in Japan as well. Rondo Robe and Emotion the Best of this. Most of them are on par or actually cheaper than a US release and come with more on disc extras than any Funi premium release I've seen.

That's why I wouldn't mind the US moving to a Japanese model. If more anime came out in the US straight from Japanese owners, which I think premium pricing would allow, there'd also be more "budget" anime coming in the pipeline for series that might never have gotten a release under how the market currently works. You might have to wait an extra year or so, but they do come.

On average you are looking at a massive price increase, without english dubs. No extra the japanese could create would be as good as an english dub.

I will also point out that an anime that's been very succesful for Funimation, the Fairy Tail combo pack, has Fairy Tail in Bluray something not available in Japan.

So yeah I don't see this as a good thing when we are getting an inferior product for a massive price increase.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I will also point out that an anime that's been very succesful for Funimation, the Fairy Tail combo pack, has Fairy Tail in Bluray something not available in Japan.

Its not available in Japan because its an upscale. There is no actual HD feed for Fairy Tail.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bandai Entertainment's Most Successful Anime (in no order)
Cowboy Bebop (absolutely #1)
Escaflowne
Outlaw Star

These are the three Bandai titles I own. Cool
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Its not available in Japan because its an upscale. There is no actual HD feed for Fairy Tail.

Do you have some kind of proof that it is an upscale. Nothing on the reviews for Fairy Tail mention that it is an upscale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Well, thats probably a small percentage of pirates. The majority of people who pirate anime are the elitist type of people who laugh at dubs, from what I've seen. And the people who typically buy anime are buying it for the dubs.

Ha-HA! I laugh at you, and your ridiculous love of dubs! The only dub I ever listen to is Kenshin, and only because it is so horribly bad! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Veers wrote:

ShanaFan852 wrote:
Plus, then there's also again, piracy. Many have moved away from discs and gone onto having 1TB HDD's of anime. There are even people who laugh at people who buy anime, I've had this happen.

Actually mine's 2TB, but I don't laugh at people who buy anime because I am one.

Impressive. I haven't filled my second terabyte drive yet. My purchased collect is still modest, I've only got a hundred or so DVDs.

I've told this story before, but I bought some OOP Bandai titles on ebay the other week, and one was still factory sealed. So have a little flyer advertising Bandai's July-September 2002 releases. In September of 2002, the releases were:
Tsukikage Ran v1: $29.98
Outlaw Star Box Set: $89.99
Fancy Lala v2: $24.98
Ronin Warriors v6: $24.98
Brain Powered v3: $44.98
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Box Set: $199.98

The last thing I bought from Bandai was the Hayate series, in singles, which is selling at the Corner Store for $28.99 apiece. They didn't change! And I know this is because of the Japanese overlords, but the reason they failed is their inability to change. I am willing to buy limited, high price releases from NISA and Aniplex because they provide quality. I am willing to buy low quality titles from Funi because they provide cheap boxsets. But I am not willing to spend NISA money on Funi quality, and that is what Bandai was selling.

Sheleigha wrote:
It's... just a feeling that for people that stream and don't pirate, not everyone understands that the movies and tv shows won't be on there forever, and there is no way to watch it whenever you want (without pirating), after the deadline hits.

And this is why I don't stream. Pirated fansubs are still the only way to truly guarantee I will have a constant, accessible way to watch any anime I desire.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Do you have some kind of proof that it is an upscale. Nothing on the reviews for Fairy Tail mention that it is an upscale.

Can't link due to it being a fansub site, but:

"So here's a small change in the Fairy Tail release, from now on we will only release a 480p.mp4. Why? Fairy Tail isn't broadcasted in HD, it is upscaled from 480p at the station.

So from now on you can be expecting a 848x480 mp4 230mb. Understand that we won't go wasting our time in encoding HD if the source is not HD Wink"

There is no HD feed, and Japan wouldn't give an exclusive HD feed to America, while screwing over their own country.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

When you get your proof of that can you get my some proof or link to Fairy Tail's very successful sales for Funimation?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Funimation stated that Fairy Tail has sold very well on a recent ANNCast.
satokoji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
We can also look at it this way:

If, hypothetically, Bandai were to institute a separate sales model for N.A. wherein the cost is cheaper, then they will still claim to lose money because of reverse importing, which is already happening with BD's. Once the Japanese market sees that importing the same product from N.A. is cheaper, Bandai will not be selling the $60, two episode disc any more, as the N.A. releases still have Japanese audio tracks.

No matter what "solution" there may be, the option is still there for Bandai to cry foul and claim losses.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Is "growing" the market with people who don't buy anime or only buy SAVE priced set really worth it?

Since SAVE release themselves are titles near the end of their license period getting a budget release without much of any additional fixed cost commitment other than the production of the sets themselves ~ Minimum Gurantee is long since paid, mastering, subtitling, dub, are already sunk costs.

So of course its worthwhile.

Consider someone with a Nook or Kindle media tablet looking for something to stockpile some video because they'll be away from WiFi. By far the easiest way is pick up a reasonably priced DVD boxset and handbrake it.

Releasing at that price straight out of the gate requires someone else paying those fixed costs, such as covering the cost of a sub with simulcast, covering some of the MG and the cost of the dub with a subscription streaming site and effective download to rent or own.

Those aren't in place today, but at the same time the "SAVE priced initial release" is an internet make-believe because its easier to beat a straw man argument.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Veers wrote:

Impressive. I haven't filled my second terabyte drive yet. My purchased collect is still modest, I've only got a hundred or so DVDs.
Well, it's not full... yet. I don't keep everything I download.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

That's practically from the horse's mouth.
Thank you.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

They've said the same thing bout Ikki-Tousen, When They Cry, Hell Girl, and I believe D-Gray Man...and look where those are at now. Shocked
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 31