• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2005 [2005-08-20]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalium

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
'"big" novel news later this year', hm?

I have heard a rumor that the rights to the Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars are being negotiated for. Rumor doesn't say who, but this would seem to be a bit suggestive.

Let the speculation run rampant!
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
The Tokyopop article was 5.12 years old, huh?

There is only one tried and true method of drawing anime and that's to practice, practice, practice! Laughing
AncientDragonValgaav

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I would guess Crest/Banner novels would be huge. I contacted them once about licensing the Gundam Zeta novels right after they announced the license for the Seed novels. I know it is highly unlikely, but it would be great if those got licensed as well.
Calli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to throw in my two cents that "big novel news" likely means Seikai. As much as I'd like to see the 12 Kingdoms or Maria-sama novels in English, I don't think either of them could really be considered big -- yet. Never mind the controversy surrounding the entire Seikai franchise and its translation since the first disc was released.

Having gotten a hold of the first two Slayers novels, though, I'm actually inclined to think that they might do their homework.
milcor1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
Smuggler being released in January and a possible wideban release for Shonan Ai Gumi! make me one happy camper.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2x2: Shinobuden is currently being translated, and is scheduled for release sometime in 2006. Because the script is very heavy on puns, references, and accents, any information from fans that would help the translation team is appreciated.

Here's something that may help: get someone else to do it. Razz

But seriously, folks. It's good to see that a major company is reaching out and wanting fan input.

Perhaps we should just sick abunai on them. Laughing
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I happen to be in that Cosplay documentary, but I am to embarsed to say who I dressed up as.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I happen to be in that Cosplay documentary in the gallary, but I am to embarsed to say who I dressed up as.
bitterbohemian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:23 am Reply with quote
Wait...Tokyopop is releasing the Kino's Journey novels? Hooray! I thought the Kyo Kara Maoh novels would be a more likely choice for Tokyopop.

By any chance am I the only one who would like someone to bring over the Boogiepop novels?
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:59 am Reply with quote
bitterbohemian wrote:
Wait...Tokyopop is releasing the Kino's Journey novels? Hooray! I thought the Kyo Kara Maoh novels would be a more likely choice for Tokyopop.

By any chance am I the only one who would like someone to bring over the Boogiepop novels?

Honestly? You really dont. Atleast not by TokyoPop. I spent money on AI buster and have been thouroughly unimpressed. Get Blizzard to do it ^^ They do good Starcraft novels.

And seriously, it feels like the Tokyopop panel was only a couple of days ago. But 5 years?! My my, how time flies XP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Kalium wrote:
'"big" novel news later this year', hm?

If it's not Boogiepop, I'm gonna cry.

Like I always do whenever there's news of domestic novel releases that aren't Boogiepop. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
wolfcry wrote:

Honestly? You really don't. Atleast not by TokyoPop. I spent money on AI buster and have been thouroughly unimpressed. Get Blizzard to do it ^^ They do good Starcraft novels.

You do realize that whereas the Starcraft novels (which are published not by Blizzard but by Simon & Schuster) are original works, things like AI Buster/Kino's Journey/Boogiepop Phantom are translations, and really, it doesn't matter a great deal which publisher puts the translation out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Channel 13 news story

Hey, check it out, maybe Otakon will be able to expand soon.
Raoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:07 am Reply with quote
Please, Tokyopop, PLEASE.

Go with the fourteen volume version of Shonan Junai Gumi.

Considering both SJG and GTO are 25 volumes long, I want some free space on my manga shelf.
sir-talen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Channel 13 news story

Hey, check it out, maybe Otakon will be able to expand soon.

Poor Jim looks so terribly short in that shot (he's 6'4") Laughing I don't think Otakon can possibly expand any futher than they have in the BCC. There just isn't room for any more vendors or panels in the space they've got, and more hotel rooms aren't going to help.

What's needed is a new venue, which would mean moving out of the Baltimore area, which I imagine the Otakon staff is reluctant to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3