• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Help please! Where are Anime Stores in NYC???

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomoyo714

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:08 am Reply with quote
Anyone who could give me information on where to find anime stores in NYC would be awesome!

My friend and I are there right now and we had complied a list of them only to come down here and find out most of them are closed and we can't seem to find any others.

Thanks to everyone in advance for any help they can give!
Hotaru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:47 pm Reply with quote
greetings from staten island! i don't really know if there are any anime stores in the city...

although, you really should go to chinatown. really. take the N or the R train wait...or is it the 1 or 9 from the ferry? shoot. well, depending where you are, my boyfriend says its the 1 and 9. anyway, take it, get off at the chinatown stop and go wild! you'll find tons of stores, but don't be pulled in by the bootleg merchandise, unless it looks ok. there's places you can get cds, toys, wall scrolls, shirts etc for pretty cheap, so look around!

also, there's jim hanley's universe, a big comic store. they sell lots of manga. the address is 4 West 33rd Street..according to the map, it's between madison and broadway, so, you should be able to find it. you could use mapquest if ye have trouble. enjoy our fair city, hope the rain wasn't too bad, and eat at the south street sea port!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Tomoyo714 wrote:
Anyone who could give me information on where to find anime stores in NYC would be awesome!

My friend and I are there right now and we had complied a list of them only to come down here and find out most of them are closed and we can't seem to find any others.

Thanks to everyone in advance for any help they can give!

Unfortunately, a lot of anime stores do close on sundays. For the best selection in NYC, you'll need to go to Anime Castle (ANN sponsor) in Flushing, Queens. They have a big warehouse to store all their goodies. However, it's not an easy commute unless you live in Queens, like me. Very Happy

Chinatown has ok stuff, but mostly bootlegs.

Best Buy (located at 23rd st and 6th ave) has a decent selection as well, with some discounts.

Suncoast inside Manhattan Mall (6th ave 33rd-34th st) on first floor has a very good selection too, but at retail price only.
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru wrote:
greetings from staten island! i don't really know if there are any anime stores in the city...

although, you really should go to chinatown. really. take the N or the R train wait...or is it the 1 or 9 from the ferry? shoot. well, depending where you are, my boyfriend says its the 1 and 9. anyway, take it, get off at the chinatown stop and go wild! you'll find tons of stores, but don't be pulled in by the bootleg merchandise, unless it looks ok. there's places you can get cds, toys, wall scrolls, shirts etc for pretty cheap, so look around!

also, there's jim hanley's universe, a big comic store. they sell lots of manga. the address is 4 West 33rd Street..according to the map, it's between madison and broadway, so, you should be able to find it. you could use mapquest if ye have trouble. enjoy our fair city, hope the rain wasn't too bad, and eat at the south street sea port!

Jim Hanley's Universe is located on 33rd st, between 5th ave and broadway (closer to 5th ave). It's the best place in NYC to go for english translated manga. Their anime dvd selection isn't as good as the stores I listed in my previous post.
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Another area to drop by in manhattan is the Union Square area (14th st). There's a Virgin Megastore that carries a lot of anime dvds.

There's also a Forbidden Planet (13th st and Broadway) that carries a nice selection of english mangas, and some anime dvds.
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:02 pm Reply with quote
If you want to drop by Anime Castle, I may be available to take you there (by subway & bus) tomorrow afternoon (Monday) if you're still in nyc.

The commute by bus is a little confusing (because there are many bus stops in Main St, Flushing), and you could get lost easily if you don't know how to get there. Laughing

If you need me as a tour guide, please send me a private msg or post your email here.
Delthayre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:22 pm Reply with quote
It may be worth considering constructing an online database of anime stores in the U.S. and Canada (and the rest of the world too) for quick reference. I for one would like to know where to go coming into things next year when I go to Albany for college (I keep wanting to type "university", but that's European usage and I'm from Pennsylvania).
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:09 am Reply with quote
Delthayre wrote:
It may be worth considering constructing an online database of anime stores in the U.S. and Canada (and the rest of the world too) for quick reference. I for one would like to know where to go coming into things next year when I go to Albany for college (I keep wanting to type "university", but that's European usage and I'm from Pennsylvania).

Well, considering how often stores move, close, open, etc., it would be tough to keep track. Also a database may become obsolete rather quickly for this reason.
hakootoko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:20 am Reply with quote
I never really think of NYC as a place to go for anime shopping.

But it is a great place to buy untranslated manga, with Bookoff and JBC, and if you really want it you can pay full price at Kinokuniya or Asahiya.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:04 pm Reply with quote
The only pure anime store left in NYC nowadays is Image Anime (103 West 30th Street). But as people have said, Elizabeth Center/Elizabeth Street Mall (15 Elizabeth Street) has at least three stores inside that carry anime merchandise, DVD's and tapes.

Both Virgin Megastore branches (Times Square and Union Square) stock extensive anime and manga collections, as do the two(?) Borders stores in Manhattan.

In addition, there are Kinokuniya, Asahiya, and a couple of other bookstores, and I actually wrote an article guide to NYC-area anime resources for a fanzine; once I find a copy, I can put up more elaborate descriptions and contact info and such.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:35 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
The only pure anime store left in NYC nowadays is Image Anime (103 West 30th Street). But as people have said, Elizabeth Center/Elizabeth Street Mall (15 Elizabeth Street) has at least three stores inside that carry anime merchandise, DVD's and tapes.

Both Virgin Megastore branches (Times Square and Union Square) stock extensive anime and manga collections, as do the two(?) Borders stores in Manhattan.

In addition, there are Kinokuniya, Asahiya, and a couple of other bookstores, and I actually wrote an article guide to NYC-area anime resources for a fanzine; once I find a copy, I can put up more elaborate descriptions and contact info and such.

Image is tiny compared to Anime Castle [FYI: Anime Castle is also located in NYC]. Image carries a lot of model kits, and small figures. They also carry some legit R1 and bootlegs. Selection isn't as good as a Virgin Megastore. No manga. That's why I didn't bother to mention this store as a recommendation.

Asahiya at Grand Central is out of business. Kinokuniya at Rockefeller Center is still humming with business. Laughing
Hotaru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Amused Observer wrote:

Jim Hanley's Universe is located on 33rd st, between 5th ave and broadway (closer to 5th ave). It's the best place in NYC to go for english translated manga. Their anime dvd selection isn't as good as the stores I listed in my previous post.

well i went to their site and looked at the map, and those were the streets it was between. the store manager lives up the street from us. hoo. that's where we get our manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru wrote:
Amused Observer wrote:

well i went to their site and looked at the map, and those were the streets it was between. the store manager lives up the street from us. hoo. that's where we get our manga.

So do you get a discount from your neighbor? Laughing
Hotaru's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Nope but we get free stuff in exchange for cookies at Christmas time ^_~ I read through the posts quickly and it looks like no one mentioned the easiest way to find Jim Hanleys. Go to the Emire State building. It's across the street. last time I was there was years ago though. We go to the Staten Island store.
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru's Sister wrote:
Nope but we get free stuff in exchange for cookies at Christmas time ^_~ I read through the posts quickly and it looks like no one mentioned the easiest way to find Jim Hanleys. Go to the Emire State building. It's across the street. last time I was there was years ago though. We go to the Staten Island store.

Have you ever gone to the Empire State building [is there an "Emire State building"? Twisted Evil ] after 9/11? I would think that it's no longer as easy to walk through as pre-9/11, due to security precautions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2