• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Le Portrait de Petite Cossette Contest

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:19 am Reply with quote
Okay, I don't understand this part:

Quote:
Can't draw? Don't worry, all you need is an active mind and a flair for cuteness.

So pretty much if we can't draw; too bad, so sad, suck rocks?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:35 am Reply with quote
The contest looks mighty interesting, but I can't draw squat! Laughing

But there's a couple things I noticed in the trailer. Is Johnny Yong Bosch and Kari Wahlgren playing Eiri and Cossette respectively? It really sounds like them. Rolling Eyes

And Geneon makes a reference in the trailer that Akiyuki Shinbo also did Tsukuyomi ~ Moon Phase; could there be a possibility that it might get licensed soon (possibly by them)? Shocked

Sorry if it's a bit off topic.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:45 am Reply with quote
I can't draw either, but this show--by my uinderstanding--would creep me out too much, anyway.

Is it just me or does Johnny Yong Bosch play all the psychos? (Assuming darkchibi is correct)
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:56 am Reply with quote
Anime hyper I can't draw either, but I think I'll dress up in my "creation" and send in a discription of the outfit. have stuff I can work with, so yeah, I REALLY wanted to see Petit Cossette, (one reason because I LOVE Yuki Kajiura's music) So yeah, Good luck to everyone who enters.
Maggot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or is the e-mail not working for me? x_x
I allready sent in a submission and got a mail back saying the e-mail is non existant. Anime cry
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote
Yay a new contest! Darn it involves creatovity and drawing. But the prizes sound good. And since the music is apparently by Yuki Kajiura, all the more reason to go and enter. I don't know about meeting the deadline tho'. And the last time I did a gothic-lolita picture art trade...x_x.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
Maggot wrote:
Is it just me or is the e-mail not working for me? x_x
I allready sent in a submission and got a mail back saying the e-mail is non existant. Anime cry

Oopos, fixed.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Dude, I totally love you guys here at ANN. Best freaking contest you've ever come up with, or at least in my Loli-holic fandom ridden opinion. Hell, you even used Lithuainia as an example. Anime hyper *has a Lithuainian bg*

Anyway, I pretty much have only one question: Is anyone on the staff who will be judging really REALLY familar with the EGL fashion of Japan? Just wondering if you guys will be taking into account originality, or if you will be able to spot the obvious knock offs/copied designs of the major EGL fashion labels of Japan. It's not much thought and creativity if a person just copies an outfit they see in the Gothic Lolita Bible, and enters that.
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Are we going to be able to see the contest entries, or is this staff picked?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Okay, I don't understand this part:

Quote:
Can't draw? Don't worry, all you need is an active mind and a flair for cuteness.

So pretty much if we can't draw; too bad, so sad, suck rocks?

No, no, that line was meant to imply that if you can't draw, it's okay, because it's all about creativity and the thought put behind it. It's a design contest, not an art contest. Anime smile

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Is anyone on the staff who will be judging really REALLY familar with the EGL fashion of Japan? Just wondering if you guys will be taking into account originality, or if you will be able to spot the obvious knock offs/copied designs of the major EGL fashion labels of Japan. It's not much thought and creativity if a person just copies an outfit they see in the Gothic Lolita Bible, and enters that.

Yes, me. If anyone tries to copy a design from Gothic & Lolita Bible or any of the other EGL mags and labels, I'll know. I've wasted enough money on all those books to be able to sniff out the exact duplicates. ; )

.Sy wrote:

Are we going to be able to see the contest entries, or is this staff picked?

All of the contest entries will be posted on September 14 so everyone can vote for their favorite. That winner will be the Reader's Choice winner. (Or, if that winner was already a winner for one of the other categories, it'll default to the second place winner.) The Under 21 and Over 21 entries will be judged by staff, with the winner being picked by Geneon out of a list of finalists.
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I have a question about the gothic-lolita style. It says
Quote:
be it long luscious gowns or short frilly dresses.
, but I thought lolita was only mini skirts and knee length ones. I was doing some research, and a few sites said that long floor length dresses are victorian style. Does it matter, as long as the design's close? I don't know much about fashion, so I'd hate to send in something that was gothic punk.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
I have a question about the gothic-lolita style. It says
Quote:
be it long luscious gowns or short frilly dresses.
, but I thought lolita was only mini skirts and knee length ones. I was doing some research, and a few sites said that long floor length dresses are victorian style. Does it matter, as long as the design's close? I don't know much about fashion, so I'd hate to send in something that was gothic punk.

It really doesn't matter. EGL, Victorian, gothic punk, whatever.

Anything you can classify as EGL will work fine. There's really a broad range of clothing styles you can do. Mana from Malice Mizer (who coined the term EGL I believe) has been known to sport long, Victorian-styled outfits like this
http://nurnarien.altervista.org/immagini/MM-Mana-Stairs.jpg
and shorter dresses like this http://www.ld50.hu/vu/blog2002oct/mana.jpg

If you're looking for inspiration, here's a website with some scans to a few of the Gothic & Lolita Bibles:
http://www.blue-period.fsnet.co.uk/egl.html

As you can see, there's almost no boundaries to EGL, so have fun!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Yay, glad to hear.

Also, on that last question asked, does that mean the Kodona style is accepted too?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:25 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Yay, glad to hear.

Also, on that last question asked, does that mean the Kodona style is accepted too?

Hmm... I hadn't really thought about that. It never really crossed my mind, but sure, why not?
radicaledward

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
This might sound a bit dumb, but is it alright if they are catgirls? The only reason I ask is because I have drawing I have been working on that could work, and I don't necessary want to have to redraw it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6