• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
are there any shows you are planing on not covering like prince of tennis 2 because I know in the past some shows have been skipped.

New Prince of Tennis was skipped because ANN demanded at least one dinosaur-killing scene for every three episodes. But the show's producers refused, saying there would only be one every five episodes. Well, ANN refused to negotiate with such unreasonable people and so are not covering the show.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
nobody on staff has seen enough Prince of Tennis to feel like they can judge the new season accurately, so we waited for Knight in the Area, the first legit real new show. Anyway, back to the salt mines.

Speaking of which, might I suggest you mention the fact that you won't be covering it somewhere in the guide? Like in previous guides when you mentioned you wouldn't be covering various comic-related anime because of their announced TV broadcasts(not that that stopped tons of people from asking why you weren't covering them in the talkback threads anyways).
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
^
Oi, stop ruining my fun with your so-called 'facts'.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Oi, stop ruining my fun with your so-called 'facts'.

Fun in the the eye of the beholder, but apparently so is beauty.

Off topic, perhaps, but I am going somewhere with this.

I think what Zac is stating is that none (his words, not mine) of the ANN staff has watched enough Prince of Tennis to really formulate an accurate analysis of the series as a whole, so it would be in their best interest to focus on a soccer themed show they might have more experience with.

Pretty reasonable, as in life if you want an accurate analysis, familiarity is key in this matter.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I think what Zac is stating is that none (his words, not mine) of the ANN staff has watched enough Prince of Tennis to really formulate an accurate analysis of the series as a whole, so it would be in their best interest to focus on a soccer themed show they might have more experience with.

It's not even that complicated. We just have an ongoing rule that we shouldn't do previews for sequel series if we haven't seen the originals. That's why I was the only one to preview Shana III last season and will probably be the only one doing Amagami SS+ this season. (We'll have to see about Aquarion Evol. I may not be the only one who's seen its original.) OTOH, I won't be touching Prince of Tennis, the new Natsume season, and a couple of others.

What that basically means is that there's no series at this point that Zac can say up front that no one's going to do. Moreso than in most seasons, who previews what will depend heavily on what each person has or hasn't seen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I know the true reason why there ain't going to be a preview of New Prince of Tennis (or Natsume Yuujinchou Shi for that matter).

I just wanted to make fun of the horrible, horrible Prince of Tennis.

"This is how dinosaurs became extinct. Okay, this is the Japanese explanation."

I think this specifically comes from the movie, but the entire franchise is pretty bad.

I watched the first episode of New Prince of Tennis and it's so bad it's good, and then crosses the line again to just be bad. No-one's missing out on anything by skipping it.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I am gleefully awaiting a certain critic tearing into the fanservice shows and the inevitable tears of otaku raeg that accompany it. Twisted Evil
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh, I know the true reason why there ain't going to be a preview of New Prince of Tennis (or Natsume Yuujinchou Shi for that matter).

I just wanted to make fun of the horrible, horrible Prince of Tennis.

"This is how dinosaurs became extinct. Okay, this is the Japanese explanation."

I think this specifically comes from the movie, but the entire franchise is pretty bad.

I watched the first episode of New Prince of Tennis and it's so bad it's good, and then crosses the line again to just be bad. No-one's missing out on anything by skipping it.

LOL ok thanks. I saw a couple of the original series since I am interested in tennis . and then I just ended up getting interested in something else and stopped watching it. given what I have heard about it, I guessed it was pretty bad later on, though maybe I am just not remembering how horrible it was at the beginning. that clip was funny btw
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and I heard that Aquarion EVOL is not a direct continuation. It's supposedly set 12,000 years after the first show. Don't you think that that's enough time for newcomers to hop on board? I plan to. It doesn't seem like the viewer will need much knowledge of the previous story and characters to enjoy this one. Apparently there might be some re-incarnation business (of the original characters), but I won't let that stop me.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Also, Knight in the Area really shouldn't be described as light-hearted, spoiler[since it is primarily a tragedy. Don't get too attached to the older brother is all I am going to say...]

[Mod Edit: Even saying that much you should use spoiler tags, that is all I am going to say... - Keonyn]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Umn, try to be careful about unmarked future episode spoilers, please.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
I am gleefully awaiting a certain critic tearing into the fanservice shows and the inevitable tears of otaku raeg that accompany it. Twisted Evil

I wouldn't mind as much if there didn't seem to be this unspoken rule of "it has fanservice in it so you must hate it." Though I understand it's personal tastes of the reviewers, it wouldn't hurt to admit that having content fans can drool over can be a positive thing.

... Come to think of it ANN is missing a token perverted reviewer Laughing
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Also, Knight in the Area really shouldn't be described as light-hearted,spoiler[ since it is primarily a tragedy. Don't get too attached to the older brother is all I am going to say...]

that's why people already mentioned this is like a copy of Touch. You should put spoiled tap on what you write. I read to vol 10+ of the manga. yeah, this is just like Touch with better art and story telling.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

I wouldn't mind as much if there didn't seem to be this unspoken rule of "it has fanservice in it so you must hate it." Though I understand it's personal tastes of the reviewers, it wouldn't hurt to admit that having content fans can drool over can be a positive thing.

... Come to think of it ANN is missing a token perverted reviewer Laughing

Spoken like someone who doesn't actually read our reviews of fanservice shows.

Which are primarily written by Theron, who is outspoken in his appreciation of them.
vinamara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Theron has kept an incredibly open mind about Symphogear. Color me surprised.

The year hasn't even begun yet but I think we already have the craziest and wackiest anime to watch. Also, this anime boasts some of the oddest hairstyles to date.

Magical girl + Macross Frontier = One mess of a mish mash.

These girls who actually sing in real time while battling those shapeless monsters simply called the noise. I could not stop laughing.

This anime has some really neat detailed panoramic backdrops. The art and the animation itself are shiny and glossy with the fights being fluid and the names of their special attacks are written on banners that flash for a couple of seconds when they execute them.

Well, the plot and the premise are retarded. The hairstyles and the Noise designs are tacky as hell. The songs suck ass. So what else is going on for the series? One big fat nothing.

Will still watch a couple of more episodes to have a clearer idea though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 54