• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Baby, Please Kill Me! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
Baby, Please Kill Me! (TV)

It looks to be a silly little chibi anime about an airhead high school girl who's best friend is an assassin. A lot of the gags revolve around Yasuna messing around with Sonya and the possibly deadly consequences, as well a contrast of her being afraid of spoiler[cockroaches, ghosts and wild dogs.] I also noticed that each of the segments had a different narrator, the first undoubtly being the voice actor of Kuroko who also the narrator in Ookami-san.

There was a ninja also revealed who kind of reminded me Konata from Lucky star. Although the chibiness is rather reminicent of Lucky Star, although the shenanigans here combat techniques, amusing injuries and questionable ninjas. I am likely going to really look forward to watching this show, I specially liked the ninja's spoiler[clone jutsu just being her drugging Yasuna so she saw double.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
I'll admit, it made me laugh in places. But the opening theme song has to be the most obnoxious OP that I've heard in years. Is ear-cancer a term? 'Cause it is now.

Not something I want to continue with but far better than I originally thought it would be.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote
The OP did sound kind of weird, the use of russian style was kind of unorthadox.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Man, I'm having to double-take every time I see a dtm42 post these days, I'm just not used to Mami. I didn't realise how much I associate one of your posts with that Rah'Xephon avatar!

Anyway, right. It's been a while since I watched anything with four-panel humour so I had to change down a few gears to get used to the bitesize skits. I had this one on my 'to watch' lists since the premise sounded interesting, but now I'm not so sure I want to continue. As has been pointed out, there are some funny moments, but it's not consistent throughout. The characters are pretty simplistic so I can see the humour growing tired pretty quickly. The art is pretty good but it's not like they're drawing panoramic vistas here. And yeah, the OP is indeed aural poison.

Due to my new 'Be ruthless' policy, this one gets another episode to impress me and if it's not made a marked improvement after that then I won't bother.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
I larfed. Not sure if I'm in for the long haul, but I'll continue on for the time being. Faux(?)-ninja cracks me up. I love her claim of "body substitution jujustu" when Yasuna mistook another student for her.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Man, I'm having to double-take every time I see a dtm42 post these days, I'm just not used to Mami. I didn't realise how much I associate one of your posts with that Rah'Xephon avatar!

You're not the only one being thrown off by that. . .

Anyway, as I said in the Preview Guide, I found the first episode to be consistently terribly funny, though perhaps a bit much for one shot. This is one that I may follow if I don't end up following much else new this season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
You're not the only one being thrown off by that. . .

Hey, even I got thrown off by it. If it's weird for you it is doubly weird for me. I don't even recognise my own posts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I too want to have shiruken-shaped business cards...
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first episode though it's not enough for me to say this is definitely a winner. I find that shows like this sometimes take a few episodes to really get going (like Lucky Star did, at least for me). It seems obvious the OP was deliberately awful; they may have done too good a job though.

I hope they can keep coming up with good gags because I do enjoy this kind of thing when done well. Also, Yasuna reminds me just a bit of "Osaka" from Azumanga Daioh, my favorite character from that series.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I love the OP.

Eh. Alright first episode. Funny, but not much more. It reminded of a less energetic and less animated Nichijou because it went for the whacky and crazy stuff, as opposed to verbal jokes.

I also don't think the problem is that it's too long. Shows like Nichijou and Lucky Star have shown that 4-koma can work in 30 minutes, but KMB's problem is that it's jumping way too often. I swear it felt like every 45 seconds was a scene jump. They need to take the jokes and expand upon them and really use the animation medium, because right now it feels like I'm watching a 4-koma manga, not an anime adapted from one. The lack of music isn't helping that either, but I find that more weird than bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
I'm not gonna say this show is awful because it has some funny moments, but there are way too many unfunny moments and they even kill some of their own jokes by dragging them for way too long.

For example, that bee thing was funny and they should've cut it off right after she went "ESP!". Bam! Jokes done, I got my laugh, move on. Oh no! They have to keep it alive by bringing in the Osaka-like Ninja. The same can be said for the Bear (which I found hilarious at first) and Balloon jokes. Just cut them off, guys.

I was wrong, I can admit that. This show does need to be 15 minutes or less because they're trying too hard to fit the 30 minute slot.

I'm not sure if I'm going to drop this or not, but I'll find out next week if I have the desire.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Mm, it's definitely the quickfire skits that work the best for me. This second episode was mostly 'meh' but the scene with the baseball made me laugh a lot. That was literally 23 seconds from start to finish... Setup, punchline. And it worked.

Last chance saloon for this one, next week will probably be the last time I bother.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm still digging it. I totally get anyone who feels that some of the skits get dragged out, but so far it's not really bugging me. I love Grifter Ninja and her laid-back attempts to sell bogus ninja technique items.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed episode 2. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I didn't feel the gags ran too long. The total inability of Sonya or Agiri to accomplish anything costructive in a crisis is amusing. I will try to stick with this a bit longer (with my insane DVD/BD backlog it's hard to find time to keep up with new stuff too).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I guess I kind of felt the time, but I am still enjoying it. In particular there is the odd joke that I think is good. My favourites were the bit with the baseball and soccerball, the hiccups, moving cup, mixing the sushi with the fakes, and the punchline to the baloon.

I still get laughs out of it, and I find Yasuna to be lots of fun, her equel bits stupid pointless jokes and failing make her funny. Forgot the bit where Sonya had to stop the kid from throwing a knife, and was in a position that would look really bad to a roaming police officer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2