• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Marathon Mode - More of it or not?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Marathon Mode Available In More Series?
--Forget the series, bots only want the eye catches--
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, because the skip button's about out.
67%
 67%  [ 19 ]
No, because I'm learning Japanese through the Kanji credits.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe, what's in it for me?
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
I'm not voting until ANN gets dancers for these polls.
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 28

PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Marathon Mode is an option FUNimation added to its Dragonball box sets to which a single OP and ED are played around a continuing line of episdes without breaks (aside from the eye-catches).

I had forgotten about this feature on these sets, and started thinking how awesome it would be on other series.

Question now is: would you want to see more of the option?

Now's your chance to voice your opinion.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, i just watched Macross II (which said "the movie" on it despite being a 6 ep OVA) and it basically made itself a movie by doing a marathon mode. And it reminded me how much I loved the marathon mode from the DBZ series.

I think it's one of the most useful special features and when you put 7 eps on a disc, it's really handy, especially since most DVD players can resume play if you just turn it off. It just makes a lot of sense as it lets me enjoy the show more without having to keep in mind where the DVD remote is after I hit "play".
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
Since I tend to watch shows a disc at a time I would like to see it as an option on more shows, as long as it's not hard-wired when you hit "play all" (like on my copy of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor) because if I really like the OP and/or the ED I may want to watch them more than once.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a cool feature. Never seen it on any UK releases Sad
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
It could be really convenient especially if its a show I'm rewatching. In those situations even if I like the OP and ED I tend to skip them on a second viewing. But as OldCharlieStoletheHandle stated I wouldn't want it "hard-wired" to the play all function. I like having options.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
...as long as it's not hard-wired when you hit "play all".

The option was next to Play (All) and I'm assuming it sets a flag to bypass the ED/OP (like subtitles). I'm going to assume it would always remain an option as "Play" seems to be a universally required option for players.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched anything that uses marathon mode, but I think that it's a good idea. In most cases I only watch the opening and ending sequences for a series once, then skip them otherwise, so it would be convenient to have this done automatically. The only problem that I can foresee is the rare case of special openings or endings that have content unique to a particular episode. I could imagine complaints about people watching a given series on 'marathon mode' only to later find out that they missed the song that was used only for the opening of episode 3 or extended dialogue that played through the credits of episode 8. Those are rare things, but I could see a real, if rather small problem in dealing with them in marathon mode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
For longer series when I only kind of like the songs, it'd certainly be a nice convenience. Imagine how much time you'd save on those huge SJ series if it'd cut out the recaps that open the episode, too.
Sentire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
For longer series when I only kind of like the songs, it'd certainly be a nice convenience. Imagine how much time you'd save on those huge SJ series if it'd cut out the recaps that open the episode, too.

I feel the same. Beside, you can always go back and listen to the OP/ED if you want to hear them again. Would be nice to have the option to skip the recaps.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Back in the day, Pioneer's DVD release of Battle Athletes Victory was set up in this fashion. Unfortunately, this was the only way to watch the episodes; there was no way to view the openings and closings in their proper spots without manually skipping to them. Of all the DVD's in my collection, these seem to be the only ones set up in this way. Anyone know if there were other Pioneer titles of similar vintage like this?

I guess having that option is a worthwhile extra, but given the choice I guess I'd rather have more substantial extra features on a DVD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1