• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Actsta Fate Testarossa

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
Woah...that magic circle....SO BAD!!! One of the reasons I liked watching Nanoha was the magic circles ;__;

I like the Fate statue/Saber statue comparison =P Both not very expressive blonde, black clad girls, but who has the more badass figure? Saber all the way~
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
I chuckled at Nanoha and the raised-up heart bit at the end.

Also, I've always liked Saber's character design, but damn! That one is extra badass.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you offered me a choice between this and that, well, I'd take the Saber figure and laugh at you for, at the very least, an hour.

Saw Saber and the bike... pre-ordered the second I did. I mean, who didn't?

A shame you didn't like the actsta line, but I can't really blame you. This new line of posing figures seems to be cheap against PVC static no matter what a company tries to do. It doesn't help when PVC is weak by its very nature, and forging molds to use as little of it as possible means quality will change when applying to figures people will pose until the bracelets fall off.

The "actsta" line may be dead, but it's foundation is being used by GSC with its forthcoming BRS figure(s). Let's see if they've learned anything between the two lines. It's clear they haven't with the Figma line, sadly. That line seems to be getting worse.

I will have to agree I didn't like the size of the stand, but after setting it on the shelf with the pose I chose, I can see why it's so large. Bardiche can serious snag itself in the hair of my other figures trying to set them together.

Your mention of price was the factor I stayed away. If RACS didn't have this for $80 shipped, I would have never bought it. Now that I've seen it first hand, I also own Nanoha because I do like Actsta.

But only when they're on sale. Not 10% off, I mean on sale. Kudos to Robert for being insane for a day.

Once the novelty wore off and I came back down to earth, I've decided to stay with static figures. Quality can't be touched. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

So, is ANN allowing you to put the Saber + bike figure on pre-order?
Twisted Evil
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Saw Saber and the bike... pre-ordered the second I did. I mean, who didn't?

Me, unfortunately. I've never bought a figure in my life, but if I was to ever begin collecting I would start with that one. Saber looks ridiculously cool and the motorbike is just awesome. It is probably one of the few figures I've seen that I've thought to myself "You don't have a figure collection if you don't have this one."
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Me, unfortunately.

Unfortunately? Huh. Seems something easy to correct, if you ask me.
Do it. You know you want it.

I will addendum my comment about pre-order on sight in that it's based on collectors, not casual readers. You non-collectors of merch aren't in my mind when I post, so this is the only warning you all get if you feel excluded.

Sorry, but I can't relate to you people who do nothing more than drool at the virtual window.
Wink
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't even collect figurines or watch the show, and my hand twitched for my credit card when I saw Saber on her badass chopper.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I really thought about being an incredible hypocrite and breaking the "PVC articles would be boring" (I'm sorry, at a thousand words, they would be!) rule over the Saber figure. However, even having just raised our budget, ordering the figure, even at Amiami discount, would almost entirely blow our budget. There wouldn't be money for a second toy that month, any second toy.

Other post-article toy notes:

I bought an empty box on Amazon Marketplace because they told me Gold Lightan was in it, don't buy from Treasure Island Sports.

I watched the Nanoha movie as research for this piece and was lukewarm on it.

Last edited by davecabrera on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I have the Actsta Subaru and Teana myself. They definitely look better than that Fate does and can in fact stand by themselves so the stands aren't necessary. I'm quite happy with them despite the price. Though I only paid for Teana while Subaru was a Christmas present.

N.R.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I have most of the Alter figures of the Nanoha crew, including adult fate (the figure is huge!).
I also drool at the sight of the Saber figure, but can't efford it. Even if I could efford it I would probably use the money to buy the very pricey anime itself.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:

So you pay it forward with an empty webpage?

I'm so proud of you. Smile

As for the blown budget... you could always opine about the merch industry rather than cover a figure/toy?
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Just to let you know, it's still broken.
rabrek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Just to let you know, it's still broken.

Strip the url back to the main site - it's still on the first page. Second post, at the moment.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I was about to pre-order Saber myself, it would be my first figure (God help me now!), when I saw that the AmiAmi page indicates that it's for sale in Japan only.

So, a query for you veteran figure collectors: Does that mean that they will not ship internationally and that I will have to use other means to obtain it?

I can order it from J-List for a premium but is that really necessary?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:

Link was broken because there should be no apostrophe's.

But the board's auto-correct-spelling keeps putting it back in.

Unfortunately, the board doesn't follow all the basic BB codes, so ya can't use the BB code to not change it.

Last edited by enurtsol on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2