• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Top 10 Anime News Network Articles of 2011

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
looks like everyone's ready for some Kenshin haha
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I doubt I'll ever forget the coverage you guys did after the earthquake and tsunami - I remember checking like crazy at the reports and discussion boards every chance I had. The Tokyopop shutting down, and now the recent Bandai issue, I won't forget too easily either - both were pretty impactful in terms of how they affect the NA anime market.

Definitely looking forward to the article on how this may be the evolution of the market - that should be an awesome read.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Why is this thread on the UK boards, not on the regular talkback?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
The talkback thread is under the UK sub-forum
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
With regard to the post-quake check-in article: a lot of readers also tipped us to check-ins from industry folks in Japan, or asked us to check on specific people, so thanks to all of you for that as well. Smile
Moli_Malone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for all japanese people. Crying or Very sad

And no Jinchuu arc...
N.R.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
This list proves once and for all that Ouran High School Host Club was a sleeper hit in the U.S.Wink
Somehow I feel Tokyopop and Bandai should have recieved a higher rating. I too remember the quake like it was yesterday. I was too busy calling up on my Japanese friends (mainly on Facebook) and had no time to check on manga and anime artists (and cared even less about anime programing delays).

Aura Ichadora wrote:

Definitely looking forward to the article on how this may be the evolution of the market - that should be an awesome read.

Incidentally I read an interesting article about that today. If you're interested you can read it here:
http//animereviews.co
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
ANN's coverage after the earthquake and tsunami was definitely the most memorable news here in 2011.

Thank you Egan, Gia, Sarah, and to all the readers who submitted tips for the article about the anime and manga creators during that time. I definitely appreciated all of the effort that you went to in order to keep ANN readers updated during that time.

EDITED TO ADD: It wasn't just creators who were covered, of course, there were other talents involved in those fields included in the coverage as well. My apologies for overlooking voice actors and actresses, production staff, and all others in my original post.

Last edited by ljaesch on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
Somehow I feel ... Bandai should have recieved a higher rating.

The Bandai stuff started on 1/2, so that'll probably be on 2012's list.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
About the industry, some people call it a decline, some call it an evolution; some people call it a retreat, some call it a strategic advance to the rear.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
I remember every single one of those articles, but the most significant and moving was the industry check-in. Seeing so many names that I revere and respect confirmed to be safe, as well as their families, was uplifting during those saddening times.

I would argue that the industry is both evolving and declining. Remember, evolution (in terms of organisms) isn't "from inferior to superior"; an organism can decrease in complexity during evolution. I believe the industry is in the process of adapting to the instant gratification-yearning, Amphetamine-overdosed house fly attention span having, 1080p streaming video-requiring, web 3.0 generation. Sure, there are more anime fans than ever before... also, more fansub downloads, more fansub groups, more fansub accessibility, and less home video sales, despite the medium being significantly cheaper than a decade ago. Legal streaming options are a bright and positive alternative, and appear to have had a positive effect. But, will the revenue generated (from ads and subscriptions) equal the DVD sales of yesteryear? I certainly hope my pessimism is proven wrong, though.

Oh, and forget the Kenshin film. Berserk is what I'm ready for. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:48 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
I remember every single one of those articles, but the most significant and moving was the industry check-in. Seeing so many names that I revere and respect confirmed to be safe, as well as their families, was uplifting during those saddening times.

Nobody really died, so that's good.............

504NOSON2 wrote:

I believe the industry is in the process of adapting to the instant gratification-yearning, Amphetamine-overdosed house fly attention span having, 1080p streaming video-requiring, web 3.0 generation. Sure, there are more anime fans than ever before... also, more fansub downloads, more fansub groups, more fansub accessibility, and less home video sales, despite the medium being significantly cheaper than a decade ago. Legal streaming options are a bright and positive alternative, and appear to have had a positive effect. But, will the revenue generated (from ads and subscriptions) equal the DVD sales of yesteryear? I certainly hope my pessimism is proven wrong, though.

Since the novelty has worn off, anime has become just like your normal commodity, such as the shows you watch on TV. Fans of their shows on TV don't necessarily get the home videos or other paraphernalia. They're just fine watching it, and that's how anime is gonna be now.
Volibear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
ahh, reliving those happy memories of Winter 2011, Gosick, Beelzebub, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and Kore wa Zombie Desuka?
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
For me the earthquakes, tsunami, and resulting nuclear power plant damage was one of the biggest events from last year. I remember being on-line at the time it all started the evening of March 10th (Pacific Time). Was glued to the CBC for hours after that, including when they announced a possible tsunami (albeit smaller wave) hitting the West Coast and Hawaii. My TV service provider opened up TV Japan, so I basically watched it and the CBC for the main news for days afterwards, and kept checking back with the ANN news article for status details of individuals, etc on a near daily basis. Appreciated ANN posting that article.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1