• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Dueling Djangos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
It also helps if you watched it as an angsty teen who could relate and learn from the characters Wink

I actually had that impression. I know I watched the show back when I was 14 or so and I really liked it. I recently rewatched it and didn't enjoy it nearly as much (apart from the music, which even after all these years is amazing). I suppose I have simply outgrown at lot of the issues addressed in the show and while some of the imagery is just awesome some of it is also very over the top and hard to take serious (still the interviews etc. might be interesting).

If I recommand Utena to other people now I always add "the sooner you watch it the better / watch it while you're still young" Wink
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I remember years ago reading a fan review of Utena where they had absolutely ripped it to shreds. They out and out hated it, and had managed to make it sound absolutely terrible. Me being a bit of a entertainment masochist, I decided to check it out to see how bad it was.
About a week later, I was thoroughly in love. Utena had completely charmed, enchanted, and thrilled me. Seven years later, it's still my favourite anime (well, Utena, and Evangelion. They can share me) and I honestly can't imagine anything coming close to taking over it's spot.

Erin you are so right - if someone considers themselves a serious anime fan, Utena is an absolute must-have.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
--Main character #2 (male): Protagonist who is really smart and works for his dreams.
--Main character #2's girlfriend (female): Side-character who is/can be extremely pushy and annoying, but is completely supportive of her boyfriend's dreams. Though she sometimes comes off as a character whose only purpose is to cause drama...

The thing is, she really is annoying. And said boyfriend really wasn't interested in her to begin with. She just sort of "made" herself the girlfriend. So I am not exactly sure why she is complaining. Quite frankly, it feels like the girls were added because they had to be there to fulfill some WSJ quota. Ironically, this fact seems to be lampshaded to a certain extent in a later episode when that putz Mirua is talking about what needs to be in a series.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm more than a little surprised that the movie is included in this box set rather than sold as a separated release.

Well, Nozomi could make money off of it separately, but I'm guessing they didn't want to push their luck. I think it's pretty much in tune w/ the JP release, though.

Quote:
I'd like the Utena-curious to have the cheaper option of checking out the movie before shelling out $50 for a box set.

Well, they're streaming the show now, so if you don't want it after that, you'll never want it.

Monster: No, Utena really is too friggin' long. I'm guessing it works if you're watching it at one ep per week, but it's a chore to marathon.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
***A friendly note to my fellow collectors: Don't let your collections overload your personal space! Try to stick to your biggest passions and let the rest go. Less distraction means better productivity--and bigger personal worth for each individual product!

That's a good idea. I think part of my problem with the manga I still have to continue or finish is that I've spread myself too far out among different series. Plus I have to lighten the load so to speak as my only shelf has been weighed down to the point of bending in my closet. I wish I had more space in my room for bookcases. -_-
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
The Bakuman Anime starts off a bit slow but the writing picks up big time. The dialogue is also notably good. And the great thing is, the second season is just as excellent as the first. The third season has already been announced and green-lit; yes.

While those who have read the Manga complain that the show is too slow, as an Anime-only viewer I can comfortably say that no, it is just well-paced. Taking time to delve into the character relationships is not a weakness.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Utena is one of the few series that I have blind bought. Most anime I own right now I had either already seen on tv or on the interwebs before purchasing, but I had never seen a single episode of Utena or the movie before I started buying the show. Haven't made it to the set reviewed here yet as I'm only in the beginning of the 2nd set right now, but I certainly plan on buying the last one. Also helps that the I just love the artwork on the packaging of these releases.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I made the mistake of trying on the ring that came with my Utena set... I had an absolutely terrifying moment where I thought "This is not going to come off my finger. They're going to have to cut it off me and it's going to be ruined."

It eventually came off with enough panicked twisting and turning, but I doubt I'm ever going to try it on again. I guess I'm not going to be cosplaying as Utena any time soon. Sad
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
***A friendly note to my fellow collectors: Don't let your collections overload your personal space! Try to stick to your biggest passions and let the rest go. Less distraction means better productivity--and bigger personal worth for each individual product!

If your collection does overload your personal space, build a bigger room like me. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
I made the mistake of trying on the ring that came with my Utena set... I had an absolutely terrifying moment where I thought "This is not going to come off my finger. They're going to have to cut it off me and it's going to be ruined."

It eventually came off with enough panicked twisting and turning, but I doubt I'm ever going to try it on again. I guess I'm not going to be cosplaying as Utena any time soon. Sad

Hot soothing oil is your friend. Very Happy
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:

How big is it? I had my parents ship me my box sets for Christmas, but they nearly threw out the ring because it was wrapped in packaging, so I'm getting it in the next package. I mean, have really, really skinny gingers (as in, I had trouble playing the violin because my fingers fit between the strings when I had to do chords), so will it be a problem for me?

There's always wearing it on a chain around your neck, ala Frodo.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Julia-the-Great wrote:

How big is it? I had my parents ship me my box sets for Christmas, but they nearly threw out the ring because it was wrapped in packaging, so I'm getting it in the next package. I mean, have really, really skinny gingers (as in, I had trouble playing the violin because my fingers fit between the strings when I had to do chords), so will it be a problem for me?

There's always wearing it on a chain around your neck, ala Frodo.

Well, going off a quick measurement of the diameter, it gives it a ring size of a 7 (US). That's basing it on the measurement of 11/16". I could get it past the first knuckle on my pinky, and that's as far as it'd go. Certainly not made for a man to put on his finger, that's for sure.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
Utena is a masterpiece and the deluxe boxed sets are some of the best anime boxed sets ever released. I own th eold ones, too but DAMN.

And yeah, you have to be at least average in intelligence to like Utena.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ultimately I wish that the Bakuman. anime was about making anime, since the manga series is about making manga. If you want to learn more about anime production, watch Animation Runner Kuromi or episode ten of Paranoia Agent.

You're funny. Laughing
And appreciative of brevity. Anime hyper
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote
Juno, I must say you are my bro for collecting CLAMP. I'm a huge fan as well though I've only collected all the US-released and re-released titles. I would die if I tried to collected all the different Japanese versions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5