• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yamato Resurrection: Director's Cut Preview Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if we'll ever get this and/or the live action movie in the US.

Though personally, I think I'd want the new series coming up even more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
stararnold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Well, "Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection" did show up legally in Canada two times: for Fanatsia 2010 and for Otakuthon 2011. Unfortuantely, neither the film itself, nor the 2011 live-action SBY yet got a region DVD release.

While we are with uncertainty about whether or not more "Space Battleship Yamato" films and series will arrive in region 1 DVD and blu-ray in the future, all we can at least do is hope that Skydance Productions gets the license to do its live-action "Star Blazers". I mean, it's been nearly a year since the company last mentioned about it, and we North America-based fans of "Space Battleship Yamato" and its U.S. re-dub "Star Blazers" have been waiting in the cold (metaphorically speaking) since like the late 1990s for more new Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers stuff to arrive.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Similar thoughts here. I wouldn't mind seeing the live action movie, but I have a greater preference for a release of the new series and this movie in North America.
Panon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
I'm curious as to how the movie will play out now, because I always assumed the main cut previously released *was* the extended cut.

There's a part in the movie where it feels like it's drawing to a close, then it branches rather obviously into one of the two endings they described (defying fate or accepting fate) and continues for another ten minutes or so.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
There were some unresolved plot threads in the previous version that I hope they iron out in this one, since additional sequels in the old continuity seem quite unlikely at this point.

That scene where Kodai talks about Kato with the new pilot appears to be new; any attempt at fleshing out the new characters is welcomed.
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
Personally I don't think a US version would work - from the over dramatic character interations, to its space-opera logic, Yamato is very much Japanese in its DNA imo. A Hollywood version would be fun and flashy, but I doubt it would be Yamato.

(and the Japanese live action version isnt half bad - heck I saw it twice at the cinema!).

As for Resurrection, Enagio has stated on several occasions that it was the first film of a planned trilogy. Unfortunately it bombed at the box office (really stupid release timing), but if 2199 does well enough I'm sure that Enagio will look at continuing/finishing the trilogy - as recently as late last year (as well as earlier in the year at Yamato Party), reps from Enagio said that potential sequels hadnt been ruled out.

One things for sure, with this, 2199, the CG Captain Harlock and Leiji Matsumotos recently announced Space deadnought Mahoroba, we will be in no shortage of epic space battles for the next couple of years!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:57 am Reply with quote
The 3D specialFX still look like from what we've seen 20 years ago though. Laughing

The Nagabuchi wrote:

As for Resurrection, Enagio has stated on several occasions that it was the first film of a planned trilogy. Unfortunately it bombed at the box office

If the live-action Yamato movie is anything to go by, most of its viewers are in their 40+s, with ~80% being in their 30s and over. Suffice to say, Yamato is not capturing Japan's youth. So that does not bode well for an anime, which is usually the domain of youths.
stararnold

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
The Nagabuchi wrote:
Personally I don't think a US version would work - from the over dramatic character interations, to its space-opera logic, Yamato is very much Japanese in its DNA imo. A Hollywood version would be fun and flashy, but I doubt it would be Yamato.
The thing is according in the "Star Blazers" dub of "Space Battleship Yamato", the Yamato got renamed "Argo" after its reconstruction and was then operated by a multinational crew of men and women from that point on whereas the narrative for the original Japanese version of SBY suggested that the ship itself still maintained the "Yamato" name after its rebirth and was run by an all Japanese crew. So it makes sense for a studio based in a multiethnic nation like the U.S. to want to base a live-action film on the Americanized "Star Blazers" flavour as opposed to the original Japanese flavour of the same anime. So we should expect the film to use "Star Blazers" names like "Derek Wildstar" and "Mark Venture" as opposed to "Space Battleship Yamato" names like like "Susumu Kodai" and "Daisuke Shima". Problem is some North America-based anime fans, namely those who are "Space Battleship Yamato" purists, are probaly right now objecting to this movie being produced, still negatively criticizing "Star Blazers" for not only covering up Japaneseness the "Yamato" name signifies in the original Japanese version of SBY, but also for censoring out some that anime's violence and risque mature content.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
And yet Starblazers was pretty fairly accurate for the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1