• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Do You Mean It's No Longer Published in My Country?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pages

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
With Tokyopop's closing in the last year, I've run into a bit of a pickle. Although many much deserving manga series were rescued from the chopping block, the series I was buying, Maid Sama!, was not. I bought all the available volumes at the time, so I now have 8 volumes of an incomplete series mocking me from my bookshelf. It would be one thing if the creator had canceled the series, but to know that it's still going strong in Japan and is being republished in other countries such as France and Germany absolutely drives me insane. It's enough to make me consider sending some e-mails to current manga publishers, asking if they have heard of the series and if they would ever consider picking it up. Anime smile + sweatdrop

So I must ask, who else has a series that they started reading that somehow, became no longer available in their country of residence?
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
I was also buying Maid-sama. My other big one is Nodame Cantabile (KODANSHA! *shakes fist*) I would love to see that picked up again, even in omnibus form would be better than nothing.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I was also buying Maid Sama. However there are many other titles I will miss more.

I have aproximately 120 incomplete series abandoned by their U.S. publisher. Most because the company in question went out of business but others because they presumably didn't sell well. It sort of goes with the territory when collecting manga.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Pages wrote:
So I must ask, who else has a series that they started reading that somehow, became no longer available in their country of residence?

There are really too many for me to remember.
The one that I regret most is Aria. It had two incomplete releases, first by ADV Manga and then by Tokyopop. I still have some slight hope that Yen might pick it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pages

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I have aproximately 120 incomplete series abandoned by their U.S. publisher. Most because the company in question went out of business but others because they presumably didn't sell well. It sort of goes with the territory when collecting manga.

120? That's awful. Sad
Pages

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I still have some slight hope that Yen might pick it up.

Yeah, Yen is one of the publishers that I'm hoping will notice Maid Sama. They've rescued some other series that were canceled before...
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
Right now, I'm currently having a constant debate in my head about ordering some Code Geass volumes, thanks to Bandai now out of the game :/ RACS has them all listed as 'discontinued' and I heard people saying how unlike the anime, the mangas will NOT be printed again... So, here's the thing: I want Code Geass Knight, Queen, and the light novels... Knight is NOT finished from what I've heard, so I'm reluctant to picking that up. The novels are done, but the R2 novels won't be coming out like they were supposed to... should I pick up the first ones anyways? Also, Queen I THINK will be completed... the last one is supposed to be out in March, but Bandai will be done in Feb... Should I take the risk and get them and hope that, like Tokyopop, some volumes might slip out after the company is done?

UGH! So many decisions!! And I HATE having incomplete series!! I ended up selling off my DN Angels because of it... There's ONLY two that are an exception: .hack//Link because I LOVE .hack and well, it probably will never get an ending, and X, because the omnibus is gorgeous and well, I still have hope with it! Legal Drug is no longer on hiatus afterall!

One other thing does bug me: no longer publishing old volumes, yet still putting out new ones... Evangelion is an example of this. I'm not sure if I'll ever finish my collection of it, and wish I knew beforehand the shortage of printed copies! Other series like Excel Saga I hear is tough for fans of the book, which has been out for... how many years? Printing barely ONE volume a year >_> Impossible to buy many older volumes for that!
Konopan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Moyashimon being released in english influenced me to buy manga for the first time

So much for that working out.
ElderlyGoose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote
Know the feeling...

I'm half way through Fruits Basket, heard it has been finished in Japan. Thought "WOOOOOOO" then wondered why I couldn't order the next volume without it being £30+
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Digital Manga apparently reprinted Swallowing the Earth recently, but it's apparently not available in Canada. It's been listed on re-order in Chapters Indigo's site for awhile now, and I NOW that they won't ever get any copies. Makes me wonder if Barbara will also not be available in Canada either...

Like that one Betty Boop book, first came out in September and was sold out in a couple short days. It's STILL listed on re-order to this day, so no, I have no hope for any of their products that are listed on re-order.
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote
Immortal Rain. Enough said. *Cries in the corner.*
skafreak51

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
I've got a couple.

The most annoying ones to me were Zatch Bell, which stopped publishing due to complications within the company (you know, the mangaka suing the company,) and Gintama, which was selling well but apparently "too difficult" to translate.
SailorShana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I just wrote about my love of Platinum Garden in a different thread. I hate that it will probably never be finished

The worst for me, though, is Nana. It wasn't cancelled, so it isn't technically the same thing, but I think it fits with this topic enough, and I like to complain about Nana whenever I get the chance (or make one). It is worse than cancelled, because it hasn't been finished yet in Japan. At least with a cancelled US release, you have the option of
Quote:
at least
finding a synopsis of the ending.

My bff and I followed that series from volume one of the manga and as it was released in anime form. We were HORRIFIED when it went on hiatus due to the author's poor health. Updates are few and far between about the author's health, and now I fear it will never end. I feel like a jerk, because sometimes I am down right angry at the author for not finishing the series, but then I feel guilty about my unsympathetic thoughts. But I just want to know what happens to those two Nanas and their friends... okay now I am feeling like a jerk and then guilty about it right this very dang minute! Sad
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote
So, I just started reading Itazura na Kiss, and even though I know I'll never get to read the ending, it still frustrates me. At least the anime has some form of closure though.
caleb-kun89sw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
School Rumble Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2